Re: [disabilitystudies] Resist State Budget Cuts

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 15, 2010

      Anything I can do in Vancouver, B.C. to support this fight, Glenn? Here is an excerpt from the summary conclusions of the Insitute of Medicine (IOM) definitive report, The Future of Disability in America:

      Our conclusions, as detailed in this report, entitled The Future of Disability in America, document the sobering reality that far too little progress has been made in the last two decades to prepare for the aging of the baby boom generation and to remove the obstacles that limit what too many people with physical and cognitive impairments can achieve. Disturbingly, many of the major recommendations contained in the two earlier reports have received little or no serious consideration, and they remain as germane today as they were in 1991 and 1997. This report therefore reiterates several still pertinent goals from the earlier reports and offers new recommendations that, if enacted promptly, could create a future in which Americans of all abilities and ages can participate fully in society. ... (From the Preface by Alan M. Jette, Chair, pgs. xiv-xv)

      ... The trade-offs or choices that Americans make about future spending will reflect their fundamental values about the balance between community and individual responsibility. Still, it should be recognized that health, social, and other policies that assist people with disabilities do not only represent current transfers of resources from those without disabilities to those with disabilities - or from mostly younger people to mostly older people. Over their life spans, the majority of Americans will experience disabilities or will have family members who do. People may not realize it, but the support that they give today for policies that affect future funding for disability-related programs is a statement about the level of support that they can expect at later stages in their own lives. (emphasis added)

      This report underscores the growing evidence that disability is not an unavoidable consequence of injury and chronic disease but is substantially affected by the actions that society takes-in the public arena and in commerce and other private domains. Ultimately, the future of disability in America rests with Americans. (Summary, pgs. 9-10)

      See the book, including links, at http://www.askbiblitz.com/disability.php

      Personally, if I lived in the U.S. I'd print flyers with this excerpt and circulate them once a month until the situation improves!

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 16, 2010
        What is the excuse for these Budget Cuts?

        People pay for what they value.

        Keith

        --- In disabilitystudies@yahoogroups.com, "Glenn" <glenn_kirkindall@...> wrote:

        > You are invited to this important meeting to Resist State Budget Cuts
        >
        > April Burris, homecare worker and SEIU member, will speak on impending state budget cuts and who will be the most affected including elders, people with disabilities, and the workers who assist them in maintaining quality of life. Bring your input on how unions and the community can rally to save jobs and ensure that those who are most in need will not lose critical lifelines.
        >
        > July, 20 @ 6:30pm
        >
        > Bread and Roses Center
        > 819 N. Killingsworth Street
        > Portland, Oregon
        > USA
        >
        > (on Tri-Met lines #44 and #72)
        > Meal available at 6:15 pm for $5-8 donation

      • Glenn Kirkindall
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 18, 2010
          Hi Keith,
          The excuse is that the governor in June ordered a 9  percent across-the-board budget cuts to adjust to a $577 million hole in the budget resulting from the recession and declining state revenue. The cuts affect both social services and public education.  What is not mentioned in the news is that the cuts would not affect prisons.

          Glenn

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 3, 2010
            Hi Glen,

            Is Canada involved in any wars you can oppose?

            Keith

            --- In disabilitystudies@yahoogroups.com, Glenn Kirkindall <glenn_kirkindall@...> wrote:

            > Hi Keith,
            > The excuse is that the governor in June ordered a 9  percent across-the-board budget cuts to adjust to a $577 million hole in the budget resulting from the recession and declining state revenue. The cuts affect both social services and public education.  What is not mentioned in the news is that the cuts would not affect prisons.
            >
            > Glenn

          • Glenn Kirkindall
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 3, 2010
              Hi Keith,
              I live in the US yet I am opposed to not only the US but also Canadian troops in both Iran and Afghanistan.  In Iraq the US troops have been used to intimidate the oil workers union.  In Afghanistan the US troops are often supporting reactionay clerics.  I suspect the Canadian government is using the Canadian troops to do the same thing.  I have read that there is objection of many Canadians against their their government having troops in the Middle East.

              Opposing the war is a good point.  Here in the US our government needs more soilders in the Middle East.  Our federal government is turning to the govenor of each state to provide national guards persons.  Here in Oregon many of my coworkers are affected.  Many know of a friend or a relative that is in the National Guard that is in the Middle East.  If the Oregon National Guard were not in the Middle East they would be here in Oregon. The money saved could support social services.

              Are there troops from the UK in the Middle East?  Are social services being cut in the UK?
              I would be interested in writing a joint letter to both the major newspaper in Oregon the Oregonian and a major paper in the UK.

              Glenn Kirkindall
              Portland, Oregon
              USA