BBC: Saving Britain's Past - Saving Britain's Past: What's your heritage?

  • keith_auk
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2009
      MY COMMENT (I am not sure if they will publish it so I am sharing it here as well)

      "What's your heritage What are we preserving?"

      <http://www.open2.net/blogs/historyandthearts/index.php/2009/08/20/savingbritainspast?blog=14>

      In my opinion, only a romanised past.

      Our English heritage includes systematic discriminations against people on the grounds of sex, gender, sexuality, religion, ethnicity and impairments.

      Should we require people living in these preserved buildings to face these discriminations at the time when many of these buildings were constructed? If not, why not?

      Why is only the discrimination against disabled people preserved in these buildings? Yet many of these listed buildings were constructed after wheelchairs were introduced into England in 1672.