Re: [disabilitystudies] Not missing Michigan snow

  • laura gardner
    Message 1 of 4 , May 26, 2009
      i was forced to spend a winter in michigan recently. where my family lives is 3 hours from good medical care and far from anything that im used to. i felt so isolated and i was afraid to go outside because of all the ice. one fall can either kill me or paralyze me from the neck down. so it was a trap. i would not go back. the medical care i did get was slim to none and i pay for it every day, my neck fusion failed because of no care. i have a rare disorder. i cant just live anywhere.
      arizona is nice and dry and the pain is considerably less
      laura

      From: lm murray <lmm789@yahoo. ca>
      To: disabilitystudies@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Tuesday, May 26, 2009, 11:40 AM

      Wow, I hear that about not missing snow! We got a BUNCH last Christmas in Vancouver but we have no road clearing equipment so it was a nightmare, esp for people with disabilities. Yes, I can see how the desert could indeed become quite attractive. And of course, it has such splendid color. There's that, too. Anything besides climate esp helpful to people with disabilities in Arizona? (As you can tell, I don't get out much).

      Louise

      From: lm murray <lmm789@yahoo. ca>
      To: disabilitystudies@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Tuesday, May 26, 2009, 11:19 AM

      Hi Laura,

      The BBC documentary on Auschwitz has some rare footage of people with disabilities entering a chamber of 'some' kind in the early period of the final solution when Nazis were still testing the gas to see how much was enough, too much, etc. You see the people enter but they never emerge.

      Louise

      P.S. Why Grand Canyon? It sounds like a hot, thirsty misery to me not unlike the mid-circle hell of Dante's Inferno. What's the attraction? Personally, I am a confirmed armchair traveller. Old guys like Palin and Attenborough allow me to enjoy exotic locales with none of the risk or inconvenience.

      From: disabilitystudies@ yahoogroups. com <disabilitystudies@ yahoogroups. com>
      To: disabilitystudies@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Monday, May 25, 2009, 8:06 PM

      Reminder from: disabilitystudies Yahoo! Group

      Title: Death of Richard Jenne. 1945

      Date: Thursday May 28, 2009
      Time: All Day
      Repeats: This event repeats every year.
      Notes: "Twenty-one days after Germany's unconditional surrender, Richard Jenne, just four years old, became the last victim of the euthanasia killers". This happened on 29 May, 1945, in the children's ward of the Kaufbeuren-Irsee state hospital in Bavaria,Germany more than three weeks after troops from the USA, had occupied the town.

      Source:

      The Origins of Nazi Genocide: From Euthanasia to the Final Solution by Henry Friedlander, University of North Carolina Press, 1995. p.163.

      Message 2 of 4 , May 26, 2009
        Wow, do I hear that! The disability community here in temperate Vancouver was literally stranded during the snow period of about two weeks. It was terribly frustrating esp because the local politicians were spinning madly on how Vancouver is "the best city in the world!" My French friends just laugh and laugh. Meanwhile, few of us were even able to keep emergency medical appts, tho no apologies made, etc. Nor was there any public tracking of the devastation our lack of snow removal srvcs wrought on the community. Not surprisingly, we are becoming somewhat infamous for murdering innocent travellers at our airport for the crime of not speaking English - even when there are excellent free translation services available 24/7!

        Louise