FWD: Disabled presenter ‘scares children’

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 23, 2009
      Disparaging comments by adults about a children's presenter have led
      to an angry backlash in support of Cerrie Burnell, the 29-year-old
      CBeebies host who was born missing the lower section of her right arm.
      One man said that he would stop his daughter from watching the BBC
      children's channel because Burnell would give his child nightmares.

      Parents even called the broadcaster to complain after Burnell, with
      Alex Winters, took over the channel's popular Do and Discover slot and
      The Bedtime Hour programme last month, to complain about her disability.

      And some of the vitriolic comments on the "Grown Up" section of the
      channel's website were so nasty that they had to be removed.

      "Is it just me, or does anyone else think the new woman presenter on
      CBeebies may scare the kids because of her disability?" wrote one
      adult on the CBeebies website. Other adults claimed that their
      children were asking difficult questions as a result. "I didn't want
      to let my children watch the filler bits on The Bedtime Hour last
      night because I know it would have played on my eldest daughter's mind
      and possibly caused sleep problems," said one message. The BBC
      received nine other complaints by phone.

      more goto

      <http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/disabled-presenter-8216scares-children8217-1630325.html>