Re: Help with Personal Care Attendant (PCA) Respite Care in B.C.

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 28, 2008
      What is needed is an Independent Living Centre run by disabled users
      and funded by national and local government.

      However, you might need to campaign for it.

      Keith

      --- In disabilitystudies@yahoogroups.com, lm murray <lmm789@...> wrote:

      > Hi everyone,
      >
      > Does anyone have experience accessing public Personal Care Attendant
      (PCA) respite care? Here's the problem:

      > I'm very concerned about a friend. She works during the day despite
      CFS/ME then goes home to provide PCA services in the evening as
      required by husband, who has Muscular Dystrophy. He is a lovely, funny
      guy, mostly still independent and very proud of this but increasingly
      as the disease progresses he needs help in the form of being lifted
      from wheelchair to couch, wheelchair to bed, etc. He's no lightweight,
      so wife injures herself fairly regularly, which in turn
      upsets/humiliates him, adding terrific pressure on what is o/w a
      terrific relationship. What, if any, public respite care might be
      available to take the heat off and how would s/he initiate it? Not
      surprisingly, they're on a VERY ltd budget so private contracting is
      beyond reach. Home care in B.C. seems to be SEVERELY restricted to
      those recovering from a short-term trauma. There seems to be an
      UNFAIR! expectation that family members provide these specialized
      services no matter what the
      > cost to their own autonomy/health, which rebounds onto the person
      with the disability, who pays three times.