Opinions please

  • Michael Chalupa
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 22, 2008
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 22, 2008
        Ka-POW!! Nice work! For wider release, it might be prudent to have a much shorter version  - no longer than, say, a TV ad. This would encourage media to pick it up and maybe seek an interview. Very, very strong and stirring stuff!

        One thing, though, and I write this to the forum at large: It's preferred Web etiquette these days to divest all electronic messages of mail lists and any other features that identify recipients and/or their e-mail addresses, thereby protecting recipients from such easy exposure to Web skullduggery.

        Louise

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 22, 2008
          I think it is too long too. The end gets a bit redundant - but the beginning is great! Maybe do it in two parts.  I do love the fact that a pic I took of my son is there twice!

          Susan

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 23, 2008
            I will certainly add it to my accessible housing riff http://www.bcdisabilities.com/bcdisforum/viewtopic.php?t=32&sid=aa945cc1d537df567e40acf546d126ce and will include any credits as they roll in. Someone or two worked HARD! on it. A very powerful piece - goes rather well, I thought, with www.pnhp.org/2008 's full-page ad in the Oct. 13/08 New Yorker, right next to an editorial endorsing G-Obama and signed, The Editors! (p. 59)

            Louise

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 20, 2008
              Hi everyone,

              Does anyone have experience accessing public Personal Care Attendant (PCA) respite care? Here's the problem:

              I'm very concerned about a friend. She works during the day despite CFS/ME then goes home to provide PCA services in the evening as required by husband, who has Muscular Dystrophy. He is a lovely, funny guy, mostly still independent and very proud of this but increasingly as the disease progresses he needs help in the form of being lifted from wheelchair to couch, wheelchair to bed, etc. He's no lightweight, so wife injures herself fairly regularly, which in turn upsets/humiliates him, adding terrific pressure on what is o/w a terrific relationship. What, if any, public respite care might be available to take the heat off and how would s/he initiate it? Not surprisingly, they're on a VERY ltd budget so private contracting is beyond reach. Home care in B.C. seems to be SEVERELY restricted to those recovering from a short-term trauma. There seems to be an UNFAIR! expectation that family members provide these specialized services no matter what the cost to their own autonomy/health, which rebounds onto the person with the disability, who pays three times.

              Anyone with any experience here? All info/advice greatly appreciated!

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 28, 2008
                What is needed is an Independent Living Centre run by disabled users
                and funded by national and local government.

                However, you might need to campaign for it.

                Keith