As of Aug 1st my new job is Assistant Professor in disability studies

  • gwolbring
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31 7:41 PM
      Dear friends and colleagues,
      As many of you know I have three loves biochemistry, evaluation of new
      and emerging sciences and technologies and their governance especially
      their impact on society and there in particular the impact on
      marginalized populations and disability issues.
      For the last 16 years of working in the Faculty of Medicine,
      University of Calgary biochemistry was my main occupation and covering
      disability issues and evaluation of new and emerging science and
      technologies I did on the side. I am switching my focus as of today.

      As of August 1st 2008 I am an Assistant Professor in Community
      Rehabilitation and Disability Studies, Dept of Community Health
      Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary. So I am lucky
      that I do not have to change buildings just floors :-) .

      I am now covering disability issues and the evaluation of new and
      emerging science and technologies full time. I am open for business so
      to speak for all kind of collaborations -academic and non-academic-
      and I am open for students.
      My key interests are: Ability governance, Social, ethical, legal,
      economic, cultural and governance issues of new, emerging and
      converging sciences and technologies (S&T) such as nanoscale S&T,
      molecular manufacturing, aging, longevity and immortality research,
      cognitive sciences, neuromorphic engineering, genetics, synthetic
      biology, bodily enhancement S&T, in vitro meat, artificial
      intelligence and robotics; Impact of S&T on: marginalized populations
      especially disabled people; Sports; human security, human right,
      personhood, sentient rights; concept of disability impairment, ableism
      and transhumanism; models and determinants of health; global health,
      tele-health, health- (technology assessment, law, care and policies);
      medical anthropology; foresight studies, various bioethics issues,
      role of different stakeholders in the different discourses I cover and
      evaluation of existing S&T discourses.

      In case you received the mail from others and do not know me, more
      about me can be found here
      webpage: http://www.bioethicsanddisability.org/
      biweekly column The Choice is Yours:
      http://www.innovationwatch.com/commentary_choiceisyours.htm
      Nano Bio Info Cogno Synbio Blog:http://wolbring.wordpress.com/
      What Sorts of People blog: http://whatsortsofpeople.wordpress.com/

      Now if you are a student the different graduate programs we (CRDS)
      offer are listed below. Undergraduate programs can be found here
      http://www.crds.org/degrees/undergrad.shtml . Our main page is here
      http://www.crds.org/index.shtml . Descriptions about the programs and
      other items are updated regularly.
      I look forward to work full time on the issues outlined. And I hope
      for even more interactions with people all over the world as the
      impact of the issues I cover are global. As I all the time say
      Cheers
      Gregor

      Community Rehabilitation and Disability Studies (CRDS) Graduate Programs:

      Masters in Disability and Community Studies (MDCS).
      The MDCS Program is ideal for working adults in health and human
      service organizations. In particular, students who work with people
      who have mentally illnesses, addictions, physical disabilities, and
      the aged will find this program a rewarding experience. The degree is
      based on a `work study' model. This means that students can continue
      working while completing their degree. The 'work study' model allows
      students to challenge their beliefs and expectations and apply new
      ideas to their work environment. Unlike distance education, each
      year's student group (called a 'cohort') works along with students in
      the MSc and PhD programs who take some of the same courses. The cohort
      approach has contributed to the high completion rate of students in
      MDCS program, providing mutual support amongst students as they pursue
      their studies.
      Courses are taken in a number of ways. All students are required to
      participate in four intensive six to seven day Institutes with
      intervening course work completed on-line. Other courses are offered
      only via on-line modalities. As well, after receiving permission,
      students may take option courses from other universities.
      http://www.crds.org/degrees/MDCS.shtml
      Master of Science (MSc) on-campus
      (Disability and Community Studies Specialization)
      Overview
      The Master of Science (MSc) is a thesis-based degree intended to
      prepare students for further research related to community
      rehabilitation and disability studies. This program is available in
      the on-campus format only.
      http://www.crds.org/degrees/MSc.shtml
      Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) on-campus
      Community Rehabilitation & Disability Studies
      Overview
      The Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) is a thesis-based degree intended to
      prepare scholars for careers in research and teaching. This program is
      available in the on-campus format only.
      The Community Rehabilitation & Disability Studies Program seeks to
      support full-time students admitted to the on-campus program to
      receive funding for the first 2 years in program. Please see the
      section on Doctoral Funding (below).
      http://www.crds.org/degrees/PhD.shtml
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2008
        Congratulations! for your new position,

        I think that it is fundamentally important to keep to very specific
        definitions between what is disability and what is an impairment.

        Keith
        --- In disabilitystudies@yahoogroups.com, "gwolbring" <GWOLBRIN@...>