Re: [disabilitystudies] Re: The eco-friendly wheelchair

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 28, 2008
      Thanks!

      --- On Fri, 6/27/08, Keith Armstrong <keith.armstrong12@...> wrote:
      From: Keith Armstrong <keith.armstrong12@...>
      Subject: [disabilitystudies] Re: The eco-friendly wheelchair
      To: disabilitystudies@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, June 27, 2008, 4:12 AM

      Hello Louise,

      no prepared letter, however, if you click on the right hand side of
      the video you will see a lot of referenced and additional text.

      <http://www.youtube. com/watch? v=SFeJFnI6yWI>

      A short history of Bicycles and Manual Wheelchairs. Both forms of
      transport liberation are very ecological and do no harm when used well.

      The oldest known European visual representation of a wheelchair comes
      from a woodcut by Hans Weiditz. It is dated 1531 and was published in
      Augsburg, Bavaria (now in modern Germany).

      The first recorded use of a wheelchair in England was on January the
      11th, 1672, when John Evelyn, a diarist contemporary of the notable
      Samuel Pepys, commented in his own diary on Lord Aubignie's
      "wheele-chaire" .

      John Evelyn, recorded in his entry of 11th of January, 1662 that:

      "I dined this day at Arundell-house, where I heard excellent Musique,
      perform'd by the ablest Masters both French & Eng, on Theorba, Viols,
      Organs & Voices as an Exercise against the comming of the Queene, as
      purposly composd for her chapell &c: After which my Lord Aubignie
      (her Majesties Almoner to be) shewed us his elegant Lodging;& his
      wheele-chaire for Ease & motion, with divers other curiosities, ......."

      The German clock maker Stephan Farfler designed and built this
      mobility aid when he was 22 years old in 1655. Farfler had broken his
      back in early childhood and needed to get around unaided. Clockmakers
      were the great inventors and mechanics in the 17th and 18th century.

      An engraving published in 1730 shows him, in his fifties, sitting in
      this wheelchair. In 1693 The vehicle came to the Municipal Library in
      Nuremberg, where it became the victim of allied bombs in January 1945.

      While Stephan Farfler used his arms for his mobility you can see how
      the technology was transformed to the bicycle chain used on bikes today.

      Keith

      --- In disabilitystudies@ yahoogroups. com, lm murray <lmm789@...> wrote:

      > Hello Keith,
      >
      > How goes the fight?
      >
      > I wonder if you have a prepared letter / one-pager on the
      eco-friendly wheelchair. A number of the local trombones are currently
      flogging bike riding as a green travel alternative. As per usual, they
      are willfully blind to people using mobility devices who merit
      inclusion SOMEWHERE in the discussion.

      > ... Has anyone else noticed, by the way, how the green movement is
      like outer space used to be for people of color? How despite aging,
      increasingly fragile populations worldwide, no one ever puts people
      with disabilities anywhere in the future? Grrrrrrr.

      > If you have any letters/link/ combination of the two I might send
      these fools in response to their glaring omissions, please pass it on.
      The latest glossy is something called Granville Sustainable City
      Living (but only sustainable, apparently, for people without
      disabilities) .