FWD: Disabled are urged to become teachers

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 22, 2008
      A major campaign to recruit more teachers with disabilities is to be
      launched by the Training and Development Agency for Schools (TDA).

      Although new research from Durham University has shown that the number
      of people with a sensory or physical impairment entering teaching has
      doubled over six years, the agency says that it is 'absolutely vital'
      to do more to make the profession representative of society.

      'Although our track record is pleasing, We're keen to see a greater
      diversity of teaching staff and encourage people across the spectrum
      to consider teaching, in particular, people with a sensory or physical
      impairment,' said Graham Holley, chief executive of the TDA. 'We also
      have plans to review existing recruitment programmes to give people
      with a disability a greater insight into the profession before
      application.'

      Stuart Newton, head of lower sixth at the Anglo European School in
      Essex, has the neurological disorder transverse myelitis and uses a
      wheelchair for most of the day. 'The ability to change students' views
      of disabled people and the part they can play in society is
      particularly worthwhile,' he said.

      Anushka Asthana - Sunday June 22, 2008 - The Observer

      goto:

      <http://education.guardian.co.uk/schools/story/0,,2286951,00.html>

      also see comment on 'An evening with Michaek Palin'.