Re: [disabilitystudies] Re: A small victory and a song

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2008

      Go Keith!  Did Michael Palin say anything about the issue in his talk? Whether he did or didn't is also news.

      Also, I would suggest something like

      In fact, its existence could create a dangerous PRECEDENT if this
      practice is somehow wrongly accepted as a compromise for true equality and adopted more widely.

      As Martin Luther King reminded the world, there is NO COMPROMISE when it comes to equal rights.

      Louise

      Keith Armstrong <keith.armstrong12@...> wrote:
      It was no victory, however I would welcome any suggestions or support
      for my text below:-

      Camden New Journal - LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: 15 May 2008
      "We've made sure all are welcome at the evening with Michael"

      Sadly, I didn't feel so welcomed by the access to the event. While I
      feel sure that the provision of a video screen by the school was well
      intended it is my no means a substitute for access to the real event.
      In fact, its existence could create a dangerous prescient set backing
      the existing equality of disabled people in this country were this
      practise to be adopted more widely.

      Both myself and my assistant who came with me felt very uncomfortable
      and isolated. While there is nothing intrinsically wrong with the
      provision of a large video screen when used in a large venue where
      much of the audience are too far removed to see the performer or in
      its use where the venue is beyond its legal capacity and it is
      provided for those who would be unable to attend.

      However, the situation is quite different when a video screen is
      simply used to provide ghettoised and segregated viewing of the event
      for disabled people while the rest of the audience rather than
      moving the event to a fully accessible venue. A video screen is not
      an equal alternate for the real
      thing.

      Although I am an adult who has had a physical impairment since early
      childhood and therefore used to really dealing with discrimination
      issues against people with physical impairments, I felt quite hurt by
      the experience of isolation that the video screen did not resolve.
      The reason why people go to live events is to encounter the atmosphere
      and shared experience of the event in question.

      It could be argued that 125 years is a long enough time to make this
      publicly funded school accessible to all of the community considering
      that people in England had been using wheelchairs for more than 200
      years before the school was established. It could also be pointed out
      that for many years disabled residents in Camden have contributed
      (through various taxes) to the funding of the school, although many
      children with physical impairments in the catchment area have been
      systematically deprived of an equal education in their neighbourhood.
      In the long term inclusive education benefits the whole community and
      as far as I am aware remains official educational policy.

      However, this cannot be achieved if Carlton Primary School is denied
      the provision of an outside lift which could reach all its floors.
      The provision of this type of wheelchair lift could be installed quite
      quickly. It is now thirteen years since the Disability Discrimination
      Act came into force. If disabled people were really valued in Camden
      then funds would be already allocated, as 125 years is far too long to
      wait for educational equality.

      Any thoughts? Keith

      <http://media. putfile.com/ Well-decide- --Richard- Hall--Keith- Armstrong- lyrics-by- Elaine-Kolb>

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 12, 2008
        I don't know because we left shortly after it started.

        see my post 'Video screen vs real access - update'