FWD David Cameron attacks Disability Arts

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 28, 2007
      Cameron accused of 'crass insensitivity' after one-legged Lithuanians
      remark

      David Cameron was accused of a politically incorrect gaffe last night
      over a lighthearted remark he made about one-legged Lithuanians at a
      meeting with leading figures in the arts world.

      Labour said the Tory leader was guilty of "crass insensitivity" after
      the comment, made at an Arts Council lunch on Tuesday, was leaked to
      The Mail on Sunday.

      According to Arts Council sources, Mr Cameron told his hosts: "I hope
      you won't be giving grants to too many one-legged Lithuanian
      lesbians," prompting embarrassed looks all round.

      Arts Council chairman Sir Christopher Frayling broke the silence by
      observing drily to his chief executive Peter Hewitt: "I thought we
      just have, haven't we, Peter?"

      Mr Cameron tried to damp down the row last night, claiming he had not
      referred to "one-legged Lithuanian lesbians", but "one-legged
      Lithuanian dance troupes".

      A Tory official said: "He was trying to make a serious point - that
      Lottery grants should go to the right causes and not to one-legged
      dance troupes. He did not refer to lesbians."

      more goto:

      <http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=490210&in_page_id=1770&in_page_id=1770&expand=true#StartComments>