FWD: Blind couple have become ‘hate targets'

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 20, 2007
      A blind couple who featured in a controversial television documentary
      believe they are victims of a hate campaign after more attacks on
      their home.

      Three more incidents prompted father-of-six Paul Craig, of Leach Road,
      Bicester, to plead yesterday for help in catching the culprits.

      Vandals lobbed stones at his house, threw a car battery leaking acid
      over his fence and glued the locks of his house while his family were
      asleep inside.

      The incidents are the latest in a string of attacks against the
      family's home.

      Last month, vandals thew paint bombs at the house and over Christmas
      their locks were glued twice in a week.

      Mr Craig, 39, lives with his pregnant wife Amanda, 37, and their six
      children - Louise, 13, Jenny, 10, Daniel, seven, Matthew, four,
      Richard, two, and Nigel, one.

      He said: "We had the fire brigade out who dealt with the car battery
      for us and took it away.

      "Our locks were glued for the third time - the front door and the back
      door.

      "We were inside and we were able to get out, but then I noticed it
      when I came back home. I went to unlock the door and I couldn't get
      the key in the lock."

      Mr Craig added staff from Charter Community Housing, which owns the
      property, came out to change the locks.

      He said: "It's distressing considering Amanda is 16 weeks pregnant. We
      had stones thrown at the house the other weekend. The battery was
      thrown over while Amanda and the kids were at home.
      "It's distressing considering Amanda is 16 weeks pregnant. We had
      stones thrown at the house the other weekend."
      Paul Craig

      "It could have hit them."

      Last month, the family featured on a Channel 4 documentary called Aged
      12, and Looking After the Family, which sparked dozens of complaints
      to social services.

      The programme showed Mr and Mrs Craig smoking and drinking beer while
      their children did the housework.

      At the time, Mr Craig called the documentary "biased" and warned it
      could lead to increased attacks against his family.

      But this week, he said he thought the attacks could be prompted by
      people resentful he had been given a four-bedroom house.

      Mr Craig: "I don't think it's anything to do with the documentary, I
      just think people have got it in for us.

      "I thought they had just given up, but obviously not.

      "The question is what is going to be next?"

      Police spokesman Victoria Bartlett said: "Offenders have returned to
      this address and glued the locks again and we are keeping an open mind
      as to the reasons behind this.

      "The potential danger these thoughtless actions could have caused is
      of great concern, as it may have prevented a rapid escape in the case
      of fire which could have led to loss of life."

      She added: "Officers have visited the address and the details have
      also been passed on to the neighbourhood team for their information."

      By Ellie Simmonds

      8:42am Tuesday 20th March 2007

      more inc photo goto:

      <http://www.oxfordmail.net/mostpopular.var.1270992.mostviewed.blind_couple_have_become_hate_targets.php>