Re: [disabilitystudies] Re: Cuts for disabled children

    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 23, 2007
      Ah, I get it now.  Yes, there's a lot of that going on in social programming.  The worst offender when I lived in Ottawa years ago was women's services.  It was worse than the writers in residence circuit at universities, where the same five people used to take turns travelling the country and getting paid like kings while they wrote.  Everyone in the women's community seemed to be appointed and paid by someone she 'knew,' which meant no new ideas, no watchdogging and no criticism ever.  Learning to profit from non-profits is indeed an art form.  The relationship of non-profits to the public service is too often co-dependent. An independent public inquiry is about the only way to fix it, in my view. How are you fighting the cuts and how is it going?

      Louise

      Abdul Hai <ahai11london@...> wrote:
      It's not fashionable to say so but the reality is that it has nothing to do with the amounts spent in Iraq or the armed services. What it has to do with is that some PCTs (Primary Care Trusts) having spent too much and are now having to cut back. Also councils have been cupped on how much they can increase the council tax. Though there is also the overpayment of senior managers who do god knows what and the money been spent on what councils like for example local newspapers full of made up stories.

      Abdul Hai
      Moderator
      Disabled People Tower Hamlets

    • Abdul Hai
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 24, 2007
        We are fighting the cuts in a number of ways for example protests and petitions.

        Abdul Hai
        Moderator
        Disabled People Tower Hamlets

        All New Yahoo! Mail – Tired of unwanted email come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you.

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 27, 2007
            We had the local government elections last year and there is no seat
            on offer though that can change due to a case in Wapping about
            electroal fraud.
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 27, 2007
              Could you maybe get your fight on the federal roster, esp. now that Tony's on his way out?  What looks like a local fight might be more effectively resolved at the national level.  What does the NHS have to say, if anything, about the cuts? Are there any federal persons or outfits speaking out against them?  Any leadership contenders who might be sympathetic?  The long term effects of this kind of erosion are devastating socially.

              I'll tell you what's bothering me most about the cuts - they look like part of a bigger agenda by Britain to be more like the U.S. with its murderous Darwinist social policies and increasingly Stalinesque legislative system.  Since the Busher, they have let go so many of the cornerstones of common law that it seems to many of us they can no longer  truthfully be considered a common law country.  Canada has been approached to join the EU and I hope we do if only to insulate ourselves a little from the ravages of NAFTA.
              How do you find the media coverage on this issue?

              I sure would like you to win this one.

              Louise
              Abdul Hai <ahai11london@...> wrote:
              We had the local government elections last year and there is no seat
              on offer though that can change due to a case in Wapping about
              electroal fraud.

              All new Yahoo! Mail

            • Abdul Hai
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 28, 2007
                Many people are contacting MPs but the point is that it is all decided at the local level by councils rather then the Secretary of State who gives out the money.