FWD Statement from TfA about the demonstration on 14th September

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 11, 2006
      Transport for All has decided to postpone its demonstration on
      September 14th, called to protest against Transport for London's
      continuing failure to provide an adequate Dial-a-Ride service.

      Since we called the demonstration we have been heartened and inspired
      by the number of individuals and organisations that have contacted us
      to offer support.

      This indicates both the crucial importance of door-to-door transport
      to the quality of life for disabled and older people; and the level of
      frustration and anger disabled people feel about this vital but deeply
      flawed service.

      But since we called for this demonstration we have also been in
      contact with Transport for London and the Mayor's Office at a very
      senior level. We have been offered talks about a range of issues,
      and there is a general recognition that in the past there have been
      promises made, which have not been backed with action, and that this
      is not good enough.

      To rectify this, specifically we have now been offered:

      a) SHORT-TERM: A meeting with the new Director of Surface Transport
      and the new Head of Dial-a-Ride, as well as London Buses' Operational
      Manager, to discuss the five demands which TfA is backing to improve
      the service, in the context of a general Dial-a-Ride Users' Charter.
      We have made it clear that we will not accept anything less than a
      guarantee of service standards, and we are looking to this meeting to
      provide a meaningful timetable for implementation, along with
      realistic discussions about cost implications. There is a general
      agreement that we need some quick fixes to improve services, and a
      willingness to engage about how we achieve that.

      We have also asked to take along three representatives from other
      organisations with a significant stake in improvements in Dial-a-Ride,
      who also have a good grasp of issues of service delivery.

      b) MEDIUM TERM: We have been invited by the Mayor's Office to submit

      proposals for a more thorough-going reform of Dial-a-Ride, so that it
      can be

      managed by Transport for London through a proper service-level
      agreement with

      an independent contractor who will also engage in a more active way
      with service

      users. These reforms are needed to prepare the service for:

      c) LONGER TERM: We have been invited by the Mayor's Office to hold
      regular and direct talks about progress towards an integrated
      pan-London Door-to-door service. We have expressed our frustration
      about the slow progress of the Door-to-door review (now in its Seventh
      Record-Breaking Year!). We believe there is a need for a clear vision
      of how door-to-door services could and should operate, who they are
      for, and how they can be managed with the active participation and
      co-operation of disabled and older people's organisations. We
      will be arguing that we need a more active engagement of disabled
      people than the door-to-door review provides, and trying to set a
      timetable which will move quickly towards these goals. We are all
      aware that the next Mayoral elections are in 2008, and that there is
      no guarantee that any half-realised reforms would stick beyond that
      date under a different incumbent. It is therefore in everyone's
      interest that we should make significant practical progress immediately.

      From our talks with Transport for London and the Mayor's Office, we
      expect an ongoing series of frank and practical meetings out of which
      will come a timetable for a series of incremental reforms which will
      both improve services in the short term and move to an integrated
      pan-London door-to-door service in the longer term. We look to the
      Mayor's Office to provide the political will to make this happen; we
      look to Transport for London to provide the funding and the
      operational expertise to make this happen.

      We are well aware that a lot of promises have been made in the past
      about Dial-a-Ride, and about an integrated pan-London service, which
      have yet to be delivered. We have issued a clear call that disabled
      people are running out of patience. By postponing our demonstration
      we have made a gesture of goodwill, which we expect to be matched by
      action on the part of TfL and the Mayor's Office.

      TfL and the Mayor have already shown their commitment to disabled
      people by moving towards the biggest fully accessible bus fleet in the
      world; they have created a 100% increase in usage of the door-to-door
      Taxicard service by a massive injection of funding and management
      expertise. We expect the same level of commitment to creating a fully
      functional Dial-a-Ride service in the short term, and transforming
      door-to-door services in general in the longer term. We want
      timetables, targets, budgets and full hands-on involvement in
      monitoring these.

      Our members and our supporters are waiting in the wings....

      Faryal Velmi

      Campaigns and Media Officer
      Transport for All
      336 Brixton rd
      London
      SW9 7AA
      Tel - 020 7 7 37 2339
      Fax - 020 7 7 37 2231
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 11, 2006
        Go Keith!  How does London service stack up with Vancouver's HandyDart http://www.translink.bc.ca/Transportation_Services/Accessibility/?  Is there anything here - even argument - that might be helpful in your figtht?  I have always found TransLink very easy to deal with online, and I know that they do considerable market research esp. with respect to accessibility.  Might be worth a quick trawl.

        Louise
        Friend of Transport for All

        Keith Armstrong <keitharm@...> wrote:
[...]

        From our talks with Transport for London and the Mayor's Office, we

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 14, 2006
          Hi Louise

          In London 'Dart' means 'Dial-a-Ride and Taxicard Users Association' a
          support group.

          I looked at the website, thanks

          Keith