Re: FWD: Detectives to investigate doctor who suffocated a 'hopeless

  • Abdul Hai
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4, 2006
      Do you have any infromation on Wald as I have never heard of her before?

      Abdul Hai
      Moderator
      Disabled People Tower Hamlets

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 4, 2006
        Read The Black Stork: Eugenics and the Death of Defective Babies in
        American Medicine and Motion Pictures Since 1915 by Martin Pernick
        (Paperback)

        In the late 1910s Dr. Harry J. Haiselden, a prominent Chicago surgeon,
        electrified the nation by allowing the deaths of at least six infants
        he diagnosed as "defectives". He displayed the dying infants to
        journalists, wrote about them for the Hearst newspapers, and starred
        in a feature film about his crusade. Martin Pernick tells this
        captivating story--uncovering forgotten sources and long-lost
        motion pictures--in order to show how efforts to improve human
        heredity (eugenics) became linked with mercy killing, as well as with
        race, class, gender and ethnicity. It documents the impact of cultural
        values on science along with the way scientific claims of objectivity
        shape modern culture,

        Wald was very much a supporter of Haiselden and campaigned for him.
        There are a number of refs. for Wald in Martin Pernick's book which
        you should be able to order from your local library. Wald is also
        quoted in the Oxford English Dictionary for the first use of the word
        'handicapped' to imply a person with an impairment in 1915.

        However, her own book mentioned earlier, explains her attitude.

        Keith

        --- In disabilitystudies@yahoogroups.com, Abdul Hai <ahai11london@...>