FWD: Is Dial-A-Ride doing you in?

    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 27, 2006
      Join Us and demonstrate! Enough is Enough!
      We are calling this demonstration to protest at the continuing failure
      of London Dial-A-Ride to provide a decent and reliable service. Across
      the capital thousands of disabled and older people rely on D-A-R to
      get out and about, and they are constantly being let down. From Baling
      to Bromley, Edgware to Tooting, too many people are not getting the
      trips they want, having trips cancelled at the last minute or having
      to wait
      for unreasonable times. Many more people have given up on Dial-A-Ride
      altogether. We want to send a clear message to Transport for London
      that we will not tolerate this dreadful service anymore.

      We want change and we want it now!

      Thursday 14th September, 2pm —3.30pm.
      Christchurch Gardens—next to the TfL building (Windsor House),
      Victoria Street. SW1.

      Our 5 demands On Dial-A-Ride :
      1. Guaranteed trips within a 5 mile radius of home.
      2. Guaranteed return journeys.
      3. Bring back wait-and-return journeys.
      4. Bring back facilities for group bookings.
      5. Compensation when D-A-R lets you down.

      Transport to the Demo:

      Obviously we can't ask Dial-A-Ride to provide Transport! So we will be
      asking supporters to use Taxicard, accessible public transport, local
      community transport, and local disability and older people's
      organisations, which may have minibuses.

      We need your support—join us on the 14th!

      TfA is an organisation of disabled people, campaigning and lobbying
      for the right to travel with the same freedom and choice as non
      disabled people. We also acts as advocates, providing advice and
      Information.
      Contact: 02077372339
      Email: contactus@...
      Fax: 02077372231
      Transportforall Registered Charity No. 1063733
    • Abdul Hai
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 28, 2006
        I tried to register but I have not had any luck as they have not got in contact with me to let me know where I am eligable or not despite them telling someone on my behalf they would contact me.

        Abdul Hai
        Moderator
        Disabled People Tower Hamlets

        All New Yahoo! Mail – Tired of Vi@gr@! come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you.
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 28, 2006
          Abdul

          Suggest you contact Transportforall

          Contact: 02077372339
          Email: contactus@...
          Fax: 02077372231

          Keith

          --- In disabilitystudies@yahoogroups.com, Abdul Hai <ahai11london@...>

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 31, 2006
            Anything I can do to help from the Left Coast of Canada?  I'm still battling with wealthy locals (unbelievably, mostly physicians!) who want to ban accessible buses to the university because they use diesel rather than quieter, cleaner electricity.  Without these buses, people using mobility devices will be at the mercy of something called HandyDart, which seems to be the same as the service you complain of.

            Louise

            Email: contactus@transport forall.com

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 31, 2006
              What is the problem of getting the university to fund accessible
              vehicles that run on electricity?

              Keith

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 1 12:12 PM
                No money, no will...same old, same old.

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 2 5:44 PM

                  no money equals no value! There is plenty of money out there.

                  I suspects that the university still considers that people have brains
                  in their feet.