Blagojevich Shows Signs Of Dropping LDC Plan

  • Dave@InclusionDaily.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 17 3:44 PM
      Blagojevich Shows Signs Of Dropping LDC Plan
      By Dave Reynolds, Inclusion Daily Express www.InclusionDaily.com
      May 16, 2006

      SPRINGFIELD, ILLINOIS--In a surprising reversal in his position, and a
      potentially risky political move, Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich hinted
      Friday that he might abandon his efforts to open new facilities on the
      campus of the former Lincoln Developmental Center.

      "We are rethinking that policy and issues relating to community based
      healthcare opposed to institutionalizing the disabled," the Democrat told
      reporters.

      "I don't know whether or not I was right the first time around," he added.
      "As I learn more and more about that issue, I'm listening to the different
      arguments and rethinking, maybe I was not in the right place a couple of
      years ago."

      While running for office three years ago, Blagojevich made a campaign pledge
      to construct four buildings that would each house 10 people with
      developmental disabilities. To be called "Lincoln Estates", the facilities
      would be built on the grounds of LDC, which Governor George Ryan closed in
      2002 following ongoing allegations of abuse and neglect.

      Disability rights groups have opposed the plan from the beginning, saying
      that building new facilities on the old campus would unnecessarily segregate
      people with disabilities in violation of federal discrimination laws. In
      March, Equip for Equality, the state's federally-mandated protection and
      advocacy office, asked the federal government to withhold Medicaid and other
      funding to the state if it followed through with the plan.

      Lincoln Estates had been scheduled to open later this summer. In his
      proposed budget for the fiscal year that begins July 1, however, Blagojevich
      included enough money for maintaining the facilities, but not operating it.
      The legislature immediately followed with a proposal to promote alternative
      uses of the state-owned property.

      Civic leaders in the town of Lincoln and Logan County quickly criticized the
      governor's change of heart, as did former LDC workers and parents of former
      LDC residents.

      Community living advocates welcomed the news.

      "We are very pleased that the governor seems to be reconsidering his
      original promise," Don Moss, executive director of United Cerebral Palsy of
      Illinois, told the State Journal-Register. "I would say, governor, you're in
      the right place now and you were in the wrong place then."

      "The very long range goal is to shut these facilities down," he said. "We
      feel there is no one who cannot live in the community."

      Laura Miller, managing attorney at Equip for Equality, told the Quad-City
      Times: "Funding large institutions like Lincoln would be an enormous step
      backward, isolating people with developmental disabilities and diverting
      funding from community-based housing."

      As of June 30, 2005, there were 2,763 people housed in the state's nine
      developmental centers. According to various news reports, all of the people
      who had been scheduled to move into Lincoln Estates are currently housed in
      other state-run facilities.

      The Republican candidate for governor, State Treasurer Judy Baar Topinka,
      has already promised that she would open Lincoln Estates if she is elected.

      Related:
      "Governor rethinks LDC pledge" (State Journal-Register)
      http://www.sj-r.com/sections/news/stories/85815.asp
      "Gov. puts LDC plan in limbo" (Lincoln Courier)
      http://www.lincolncourier.com/story.asp?SID=1406&SEC=8
      "Lincoln decision could put Illinois facilities in limbo" (Quad-City Times)
      http://www.inclusiondaily.com/news/06/red/0516a.htm
      "Lincoln Developmental Center -- Illinois Governor Strives To Return To The
      Past" (Inclusion Daily Express Archives)
      http://www.inclusiondaily.com/news/institutions/il/ldc.htm
      NEW! Read editor's comments on the Inclusion Daily Express Weblog:
      http://www.inclusiondaily.blogspot.com
      ---
      Distributed to this list by:
      Dave Reynolds, Editor
      Inclusion Daily Express / Inclusion Weekly Review
      International Disability Rights News Service