Re: [disabilitystudies] Re: A new excuse for denying wheelchairs users access to London Transport

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2005
      Keith,

      I've got major troubles here at the moment so I can't access my site but as soon as I can I'll send you a couple of great contacts, including links.

      One of the things I hope to be looking at this summer more fully is the basis for the numbers - of wheelchairs allowed, of public toilets, of building standards, etc.  Thanks to Shane, I have an excellent book list.  I'm unconvinced that the standards are truly population-based.

      Again, sorry for the delay but server has been attacked, always a bad sign.

      Louise

      Keith Armstrong <keitharm@...> wrote:
      Louise,

      Yes I would certainly welcome more contacts. BTW any good web page
      link would also be welcomed on the LINKS page here.

      One good aspect of 'the London accessible bus' [AB] is the sign SPACE
      FOR WHEELCHAIR (user). Only one wheelchair user per bus. * However,
      because of this notice they are not entitled to refuse a wheelchair
      user if there is not one already on board.

      I have had yet another more recent incident this time with a platform
      official who didn't know the difference between a power wheelchair
      and a 'scooter' ** when on a return journey from Oxford rail station
      back to London. The same Oxford platform official then denied me
      access to the London train and then put me on the wrong train. A
      formal complaint is going to be filed on this incident as well.

      Keith

      * I know a couple of disabled friends with CP who have been married
      for thirty years, yet still cannot travel together in the same London
      bus.

      ** Scooters are banned on modern UK trains which have no 'guard'
      carriages. Although UK adverts for scooters never warn people of this
      situation. Many families invest a fortune in these mobility aids and
      then cannot afford to get a powered wheelchair when the scooters
      limitations are realised.

      --- In disabilitystudies@yahoogroups.com, lm murray
      wrote:
      > Keith,
      >
      > Egad! I certainly know of people here in Vancouver who are
      routinely (routinely!) not picked up by regular public transit at
      rush hour because, say the drivers, "it's too full.." No one so far
      has challenged it, although TransLink appears to be quite open to
      expanding our special HandyDart service. At the moment, you have to
      plan a day or more in advance (!!!) of your transit journey to be
      able to use HandyDart.

      > Litigation with respect to public transit accessibility is quite
      well developed in the UK, I thought. I have a few links to leading
      cases, advocacy groups, etc. at my site under Disability Worldwide.
      Would you like them? Advocates there were among the first of my
      contacts to write back, which is always satisfying. I'm surprised,
      but there you have it: disappointment as per same old. Let me
      know. It will take about three minutes to find.

      > Louise

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      http://mail.yahoo.com

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 4, 2005
        Hello Pal Keith,

        Thanks for your patience.  Viral SPAM very nearly took us out there for a bit but we're back.

        If there was ever a good time to have a conflict with public transit in the UK, this is it.  See Transport Code of Practice at the Disability Rights Commission (DRC) http://www.drc.org.uk/thelaw/transportcodes.asp, which describes the draft code, posts a questionnaire for users and generally invites comments until about August, 2005.  You are precisely the bloke from whom they seek comment.

        See also the links under DRC success stories, especially Train company makes the change http://www.drc-gb.org/thelaw/newsdetails.asp?id=540&section=5.  This organization seems to be very much like our excellent local version, the BC Coalition for People With Disabilities.  You can click on the sidebar to see the criteria for cases DRC agrees to take.

        Agnes Fletcher of DRC answered a Feedback unsolicited e-mail from us awhile back regarding DRC initiatives.  Her contact info included with the e-mail at Worldwide Disability http://www.bcdisabilities.com/bcdisforum/viewtopic.php?t=16&sid=7738a1a94e4e410182c51362645b0b90.  However, we were also impressed with advocacy services at rightsnet and lasa listed under Worldwide Disability http://www.bcdisabilities.com/bcdisforum/viewtopic.php?t=16&sid=7738a1a94e4e410182c51362645b0b90 even though they didn't write back.

        Hope this is helpful.  Sorry it took so long.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 5, 2005

          Hello again Keith,

          Here I am, fresh from victorious battle against supermarket child-size shopping carts, at your service, ready to go up against UK public transit.  Trust you received yesterday's links.  If these are not satisfactory, how would you like to proceed, if at all? Distance need not be a barrier.  Please send particulars to me in confidence if you wish to lmm789@....  No charge, of course.  Winning is its own reward in this area of law, I find.

          http://mail.yahoo.com