Get down with the disTHIS! Dance Showcase - Wed., Nov 7th!

  • Alejandra Ospina
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2007

      disTHIS! Dance Showcase!

      Join us on Wednesday, November 7th as we showcase a series of acclaimed short films that show us the meaning of dance.  People with disabilities are taking the world of dance by storm, and doing amazing things as companies and individuals.  And you can, too - part of this month's screening will be all about you sharing your best moves with us!  So be ready to shake your booty as part of the disTHIS! disDANCE dIsCo InFerNo!!!  We get a little excited sometimes, but we know you will be, too.

      Our talkback discussion will include some great guest speakers:  Simi Linton discussing the meaning of dance in disabled people's lives, along with internationally renowned choreographer and dancer Heidi Latsky, dancer/choreographer Michelle Mantione, and producer/director Ruth Sergel, who will talk about the short film "Bruce".

      Please note: Simi Linton will be capturing this event for her documentary film "Invitation to the Dance.", and she will have a film crew. We will ask you to sign a release when you come in so that she may use you in her film. Your participation is voluntary - you are under no obligation to sign.

      WHEN:  Wednesday, November 7th
      WHERE: DCTV, 3rd Floor Screening Room
      87 Lafayette Street (By Subway: 6, N, R, Q, W, J, M, Z to Canal Street; go two blocks south) between Walker and White in New York City.
      TIME: 6:30 to 10pm.  Screening starts @ 7pm
      SUGGESTED DONATION: $5

      About the films:

      Image: Phoenix Dance

      Phoenix Dance The film “Phoenix Dance” shows us the beauty and strength of one individual who defies our expectations of what it means to be “disabled.”  In March 2001, Homer Avila – who had been dancing with Twyla Tharp, Bill T. Jones, and Mark Morris  – discovered that the pain in his hip was cancer. One month later, his right leg and most of his hip were amputated. What unfolds is the story of the pas de deux called “Pas”, which the renowned Alonzo King choreographed for Homer, now missing one leg. (22 minutes)

      Director: Karina Epperlein

      2006 “Short-listed” for Oscar Nomination: Short Documentary
      2006 Golden Gate Award     San Francisco Int’l Film Festival
      2006 Official Selection     [ida] DocuWeek Theatrical Showcase
      2006 Madelyn’s Choice Award     Rocky Mountain Women’s Film Festival
      2007 Isadora Duncan Dance Award     (The Izzies) Special Achievement
      2007 Jury Award
      Best Short Documentary     Newport Beach Film Festival
      2007 Audience Award
      Best Short Film     Sydney Film Festival, Australia
      2007 Prize for Orginality and Innovative Direction     Emotion Pictures, Documentary & Disability International Festival, Athens, Greece

      Image: Outside In

      Outside In Made for the CandoCo, a British company of able bodied and disabled dancers, Outside In is "an unusual journey along tracks and pathways both real and imaginary." It is a witty and affectionate exploration of physicality, identity and movement that transforms our understanding of dance. (13 minutes)

      Producers: Simon Minty & Steve Best
      Director: Hugh Thomas

      Image: Bruce

      Bruce
      A duet that challenges expectations of grace and disability. (3 minutes)

      Producer/Director: Ruth Sergel

      Best Drama – Alice’s Three Minute Film Festival
      Honorable Mention – Picture This… Film Festival

      disTHIS! movies, talkback sessions and related events are open to the public. This film is subtitled in English. ASL interpretation available upon request. Snacks are provided and there is a cash bar for drinks, but recent screenings following articles in the Tribeca Trib, New York Nonprofit Press and the NY Times have filled our recent screenings to capacity.  Space is limited to the first 65 people! Don't miss out!  Call 212.251.4040 to RSVP and reserve YOUR seat or email: disthis@...

      The disTHIS! Film Series, a program of the Disabilities Network of NYC in association with DCTV, showcases independent and international short, documentary and feature films with disability themes you are unlikely to see elsewhere. disTHIS! movies are always provocative; never what audiences expect. No handkerchief necessary, no heroism required. This is disability through a whole new lens. We are made possible, in part, by the generous funding of The Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation and through audience support.

      disDANCE
      is made possible in part with public funds from the Manhattan Community Arts Fund, supported by the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs and administered by the Lower Manhattan Cultural Council.

      For more information and to sign up for regular email updates, please visit: http://disthis.org

      --
      Alejandra Ospina

      Alejandra Ospina