WDC 17 - Preliminary Report

  • Matt Shields
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 13, 2007
      Hello everyone,

      I just wanted to send out a quick announcement say that we'll have the full report of WDC
      17 available and distributed in a couple of days. This will include the complete standings,
      as well as reports of the two hobby meetings.

      We were all quite happy with the event, and very pleased with the quality of play. There
      were about 75 players, including 10 who traveled from outside of North America.

      Doug Moore won the top board to claim the title of World Diplomacy Champion making
      him the first North American to do so in 9 years.

      The Top Board consisted of Dan Lester (UK), Yann Clouet (FRA), and Adam Silverman, Tom
      Kobrin, Jake Mannix, Chris Martin, and Doug Moore (all US)

      Mark Zoffel was in the top 7 after Round 5 (Second, if memory serves), qualifying to play
      on the top board, but graciously declined to do so to allow another player to play in his
      place.

      Even suffering the handicap of having to use the round 5 scores of two of its members,
      the team tournament was convincingly won by team "Overrated" of Doug Moore, Chris
      Martin, and Andy Bartalone.

      At the hobby meetings it was decided that WDC 19 would be held at Origins in Colombus,
      Ohio in 2009, and that DipCon 41 would he held next summer in Bangor, Maine. Details of
      the meeting will follow in the full report.

      Thanks to everyone who attended, and I hope to see you all next summer in Austria for
      WDC 18 and in Maine for DipCon 41!

      - Matt Shields
      - Nathan Barnes
      - Mike Hall