Flac format converted to ALAC format. Who has done this?

  • tom_ferrara
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2013
      ALAC is a iPod format that doesn't compress like MP3. You can take any FLAC file and convert it to ALAC. Anyone doing this?
    • mruofa79
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 4, 2013
        Tom,

        I have been converting all my FLAC files to ALAC and recently re-ripped my CD collection in that format. I've been using dbpoweramp to do batch conversion and keep my collection on a synology NAS. We have multiple apple devices in the house (ipads, iphones, macs, ipod touch, apple TV, airplay-enabled receiver), so I have an instance of itunes pointing to the NAS (itunes database is on the pc - seems to run fastest that way). This setup allows for streaming lossless audio to any of our devices, airplay to the receiver, etc and bypasses itunes' inability to play flac. There are, of course, many alternatives to itunes that people prefer, but I'm sticking with it. When syncing idevices to itunes, I've configured it to downsample to 256kbps aac automatically in order to save space. Only downside there is that my custom album art doesn't always survive syncing to my iphone.

        Hope this helps.

        seismick

        --- In dimeadozenjazzforum@yahoogroups.com, "tom_ferrara" <tom_ferrara@...> wrote:

        > ALAC is a iPod format that doesn't compress like MP3. You can take any FLAC file and convert it to ALAC. Anyone doing this?

      • Dr. Mitchell Bebel Stargrove
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 4, 2013
          sounds great
          is there such software for Mac OS?
          Thanks, Mitch

          On Jun 4, 2013, at 5:42 AM, "mruofa79" <mruofa79@...> wrote:

          Tom,

          I have been converting all my FLAC files to ALAC and recently re-ripped my CD collection in that format. I've been using dbpoweramp to do batch conversion and keep my collection on a synology NAS. We have multiple apple devices in the house (ipads, iphones, macs, ipod touch, apple TV, airplay-enabled receiver), so I have an instance of itunes pointing to the NAS (itunes database is on the pc - seems to run fastest that way). This setup allows for streaming lossless audio to any of our devices, airplay to the receiver, etc and bypasses itunes' inability to play flac. There are, of course, many alternatives to itunes that people prefer, but I'm sticking with it. When syncing idevices to itunes, I've configured it to downsample to 256kbps aac automatically in order to save space. Only downside there is that my custom album art doesn't always survive syncing to my iphone.

          Hope this helps.

          seismick

          --- In dimeadozenjazzforum@yahoogroups.com, "tom_ferrara" <tom_ferrara@...> wrote:

          > ALAC is a iPod format that doesn't compress like MP3. You can take any FLAC file and convert it to ALAC. Anyone doing this?

          .

          __,_.
        • John C
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 4, 2013
            Switch is often the go-to format converter for Mac.

            It appears to support .aac but that is a lossy format.

            It definitely supports aiff, which is native to Mac's. I see no
            mention of alac on their site though.

            Wiki entry for ALAC says:

            The software for encoding into ALAC files, Apple Lossless Encoder, was
            introduced into the Mac OS X Core Audio framework on April 28, 2004
            together with the QuickTime 6.5.1 update; thus making it available in
            iTunes since version 4.5 and above. The codec is also used in the
            AirPort and AirPlay implementation.

            The Apple Lossless Encoder (and decoder) were released as open source
            software under the Apache License version 2.0 on October 27, 2011.

            On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 1:15 PM, Dr. Mitchell Bebel Stargrove
            <drmitch@...> wrote:

            > sounds great
            >
            > is there such software for Mac OS?
            > Thanks, Mitch

          • mruofa79
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 4, 2013
              Both xACT and X Lossless Decoder will convert your files to ALAC in OSX.

              seismick