Re: [dimeadozenjazzforum] question for Tomasz Stanko fans about a torrent

  • Johan Hauknes
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2010
      At 21:32 27.04.2010, you wrote:

      >I know there are a few of you out there, as evidenced by the amount
      >of Stanko's music I found in the bot-list. I've managed to download
      >most of what has been on the tracker very recently, and for the most
      >part, it doesn't look like I have anything to to share that hasn't
      >been here before... well, maybe, anyway.....
      >
      >A while ago, a DIME member was giving away CD-Rs he had made from
      >various shows, and I was able to get a few Stanko sets from him. For
      >the most part, they seem to match various shows that have been on
      >the tracker before, right down to the notes and track lengths,
      >although I only have them in .wav format.
      >
      >There is one show I obtained that seems to be a much longer version
      >of Stanko's "Litania" which was performed in Warsaw, on 26 Feb 1998.
      >The version that was on the DIME tracker looks like it ran about 65
      >minutes, whereas this set I have on CD-Rs is a half-hour longer, and
      >the sequence is different.

      Might be a longer version of Feb 26 '98, but I cannot confirm the
      existence of a longer version. I know only of the 65 min version.
      Note there are two versions of Sleep Safe ... Seems to me then, that
      it is probably mixture of two sets you have there.
      Perhaps a combination of Feb 26 '98 in Warsaw and 28 August '98
      Saalfelden Jazz Fest

      Tomasz Stanko "Litania"
      Jazzfestival Saalfelden, Austria
      August 28-30, 1998

      Tomasz Stanko - trumpet
      Bernt Rosengren - tenor sax
      Joakim Milder - tenor & soprano sax
      Bobo Stenson - piano
      Palle Danielsson - bass
      Jon Christensen - drums

      1. Nighttime Daytime Requiem (Komeda) 22:34
      2. Sleep Safe and Warm (Komeda)
      TT: 30:08

      Johan
    • pnw_01001010
      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 2010
        If this is a combination of two different performances, it's a very skillful blend, but it is definitely not the Saalfelden set. The second version of "Sleep Safe And Warm" is shorter and upbeat, compared to the slower, melancholy version performed earlier in the program. I have the Saalfelden set, and the opening of that version features a short almost staccato piano intro, before the trumpet appears.

        There are multiple versions of "Sleep Safe And Warm" on the album, and it seemed that here in this program, one of the alternate arrangements was being presented, as a sort of encore / reprise. I'm really inclined to think it's not from a different show - at least none of the other Stanko sets I have. Also, comparing the Warsaw version of "Nighttime Daytime Requiem", the Saalflden version is much more abrupt in its' delivery, compared to the reverb-drenched, deliberately open-ended version from Warsaw.

        I'll wait a bit longer, but unless some evidence proves otherwise, I'll go with a presumption that this might have actually been an alternate broadcast, that contains a bit more material. At the very least, posting it should allow for the possibility that someone else may be able to identify it.

      • Rudolf.Fritsch@t-online.de
        Message 3 of 5 , May 3, 2010

          Message 4 of 5 , May 4, 2010
            Rudolf, thanks for that information!

            If that is accurate, then it simply means that the two discs I received were labeled in reverse order. Listening to them as the db entry suggests, makes perfect sense, as it places the introductions of the musicians near the end of the program.

            With that in mind, I will most likely prepare this torrent and upload it in the next couple of days.

            Thanks again for the help!

            Apparently this was recently re-broadcast, on Friday, April 16, 2010:

            http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=pl&u=http://www.stopklatka.pl/telewizja/seans.asp%3Fseans%3D3512299935&ei=3DbgS5ntCYGoswOz7qXzBA&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CBUQ7gEwAg&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dstanko%2Bkultura%2Blitania%2B1998%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DSue%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official

            TVP Kultura
            Friday, April 16, 2010, at. 23:10
            Litania – Music of Krzysztof Komeda's episode. 2 2
            Koncert, Polska 1998, 50' Concert, Poland 1998, 50 '
            The second part of the concert performed by the Scandinavian Tomasz Stanko Sextet, which was registered on February 9 in a television studio in Leng. The concert was the presentation of Stanko's latest album, "Litany," which became one of the biggest music events. Music, which was created as a result of composing together the concepts Komeda creativity and style of his performances, great odźwięk provoked criticism and admiration. . The latest foreign "Litany", "The breakthrough, the most important European jazz album."

            It appears that this concert had also previously been re-broadcast in 2009, as part of a tribute to Krzysztof Komeda:

            http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=pl&u=http://wiedzaiedukacja.eu/archives/13086&ei=KDzgS5u_O5G2swOY2qSABQ&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CA0Q7gEwAQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dstanko%2Btvp%2Bkultura%2Blitania%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3D1aK%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official

            April with Krzysztof Komeda in TVP Kultura
            Written By: Łukasz Kucharski on kwiecień 14, 2009
            On the 40th anniversary of the death of one of the greatest composers of film music by Krzysztof Komeda (23 April 1969), TVP Kultura months organizing the work of this talented musician.

            JAZZ CLUB CULTURE
            LITANIA – muzyka Krzysztofa Komedy cz.1 Litany - Music of Krzysztof Komeda cz.1
            The first part of the concert, "Litany" - music performed by Krzysztof Komeda Tomasz Stanko Nordic Sextetu. The concert was the presentation of the repertoire Stanko CDs titled "Litany" (recorded for the famous ECM), which - in his time - was a great musical event. The latest foreign "Litany," defined as "a breakthrough, the most important European jazz album."
            ISSUE: April 11, hours. 23.35 23.35

            JAZZ CLUB KULTURA JAZZ CLUB CULTURE
            LITANIA – muzyka Krzysztofa Komedy cz.2 Litany - Music of Krzysztof Komeda cz.2
            The second part of the concert, "Litany" - music performed by Krzysztof Komeda Tomasz Stanko Nordic Sextetu. The concert was the presentation of the repertoire Stanko CDs titled "Litany" (recorded for the famous ECM), which - in his time - was a great musical event. The latest foreign "Litany" was defined as a breakthrough, the most important European jazz album. "
            ISSUE: 18 April godz.23.05