Re: Randy Weston 1966 torrent

  • Jay2B2
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2009
      Hi -

      Just bumping this to see if it has been sorted out. In addition to the questions about the
      Weston material, there were two different dates given for the Ervin tracks.

      Thanks.

    • dsgtrane@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2009
        I got involved with several year-end things ad forgot to report back.

        This Weston material on torrent is indeed the same as what's on "Monterey '66", with the notable exception of "In Memory Of" which is not on the CD.  In addition, the last track, "African Cookbook", is also cut whereas it's complete on the CD.  Neither the CD or the torrent represents the complete show.

        When I first heard this, which prompetd my initial post here, the soloing sounded different to me but that was due to the inferior source of this material when compared to the CD.  Some of the instruments don't come through nearly as well, resulting in a different sounding mix.

        As for the Ervin material, I went with the date someone provided in the torrent comments, July 2, 1967.

        Below is a copy of revised info file as I revised it for myself.

        Happy New Year to all.

        David

        Randy Weston Sextet
        Monterey Jazz Festival
        Monterey, CA
        September 18, 1966
        (originally seeded as Newport Jazz Festival in 1966)

        mono soundboard recording taken directly from a Reel to Reel Master

        1. Little Niles 6:24
        2. Berkshire Blues 6:26
        3. Blues For Strayhorn 7:09
        4. In Memory of 7:05
        5. African Cookbook (cut) 13:23

        Randy Weston- Piano
        Booker Ervin- Tenor Sax
        Ray Copeland- Trumpet/Flugelhorn
        Cecil Payne- Baritone Sax
        Big Black- Conga Drum s
        Bill Wood- Bass
        Lenny McBrowne- Drums

        tracks 1-3, 5 issued on "Monterey '66"

        filler:

        Booker Ervin Quartet
        Newport Jazz Festival
        Newport, RI
        July 2, 1967

        1. You Don’t Know What Love Is 4:36
        2. Mooche Mooche 6:56

        Total: 52:01

        Lineage: Reel to Reel Master>Phillips CDR 765> FLAC>Torrent

        Just bumping this to see if it has been sorted out. In addition to the questions about the
        Weston material, there were two different dates given for the Ervin tracks.

        Thanks.

        --- In dimeadozenjazzforum @yahoogroups. com, dsgtrane@... wrote:

        > I'll email them with the results once I've had a chance to compare to my copy of the CD.

      • Jay2B2
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2009
          Thanks for replying and for sorting out the Weston tracks.

          Regarding the Ervin quartet tracks, while he did play at Newport in July 1967, this entry
          from Michael Fitzgerald's Ervin leader discography at www.jazzdiscography.com may be
          relevant:

          Date: September 16, 1966
          Location: Monterey Jazz Festival, Monterey, CA
          Label: [private recording]
          Booker Ervin (ldr), Booker Ervin (ts), Larry Vuckovich (p), Don Moore (b), Elvin Jones (d)

          a. 01 Grant's Stand (Booker Ervin)
          b. 02 You Don't Know What Love Is (Don Raye, Gene DePaul)
          c. 03 Mooche Mooche (Booker Ervin)
          Monterey Jazz Festival tapes held by Stanford University.

          Might this date be the source of the two tracks we have?

        • dsgtrane@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 1, 2009
            That certainly seems to be the source of the Ervin tracks.  Makes sense too as it's the same date as the Weston set.

            Date: September 16, 1966
            Location: Monterey Jazz Festival, Monterey, CA
            Label: [private recording]
            Booker Ervin (ldr), Booker Ervin (ts), Larry Vuckovich (p), Don Moore (b), Elvin Jones (d)

            a. 01 Grant's Stand (Booker Ervin)
            b. 02 You Don't Know What Love Is (Don Raye, Gene DePaul)
            c. 03 Mooche Mooche (Booker Ervin)
            Monterey Jazz Festival tapes held by Stanford University.

            Might this date be the source of the two tracks we have?

            --- In dimeadozenjazzforum @yahoogroups. com, dsgtrane@... wrote:

            > I got involved with several year-end things ad forgot to report back.
            >
            > This Weston material on torrent is indeed the same as what's on "Monterey '66", with the
            notable exception of "In Memory Of" which is not on the CD.  In addition, the last track,
            "African Cookbook", is also cut whereas it's complete on the CD.  Neither the CD or the
            torrent represents the complete show.

            > When I first heard this, which prompetd my initial post here, the soloing sounded
            different to me but that was due to the inferior source of this material when compared to
            the CD.  Some of the instruments don' t come through nearly as well, resulting in a
            different sounding mix.

            > As for the Ervin material, I went with the date someone provided in the torrent
            comments, July 2, 1967.

            > Below is a copy of revised info file as I revised it for myself.
            >
            > Happy New Year to all.
            >
            > David
            >

            > Randy Weston Sextet
            > Monterey Jazz Festival
            > Monterey, CA
            > September 18, 1966
            > (originally seeded as Newport Jazz Festival in 1966)
            >

            > mono soundboard recording taken directly from a Reel to Reel Master
            >

            > 1. Little Niles 6:24
            > 2. Berkshire Blues 6:26
            > 3. Blues For Strayhorn 7:09

            4. In Memory of 7:05
            > 5. African Cookbook (cut) 13:23
            >

            > Randy Weston- Piano
            > Booker Ervin- Tenor Sax
            > Ray Copeland- Trumpet/Flugelhorn
            > Cecil Payne- Baritone Sax
            > Big Black- Conga Drums
            > Bill Wood- Bass
            > Lenny McBrowne- Drums
            >

            > tracks 1-3, 5 issued on "Monterey '66"
            >

            > filler:
            >

            > Booker Ervin Quartet
            > Newport
            > Jazz Festival
            > Newport, RI
            > July 2, 1967
            >

            > 1. You Don’t Know What Love Is 4:36
            > 2. Mooche Mooche 6:56
            >

            > Total: 52:01
            >

            > Lineage: Reel to Reel Master>Phillips CDR 765> FLAC>Torrent

          • pjholmes
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 13, 2009

              ...is back!