Re: [dimeadozenjazzforum] Re: Digital recorder

  • Bernie
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2008
      Thanx man!
      I'll let you know.

      By the way, I post every recording I make in "dime". I also post an MP3 version (Vade retro!!! ;-) in http://restinbits.blogspot.com, along with some other bootlegs I've found in the Internet.

      Best regards.
      Bernie.

      On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 11:24 PM, tradelivebootlegs <tradelivebootlegs@...> wrote:

      Hi Bernie,

      Throughout happy here with the Olympus LS-10. After MiniDisc, I had
      only temporarily upgraded to Edirol R9. The Edirol has almost ideal
      functionality but deficits in the casing quality. Otherwise almost
      equal, the deficits don't prevail on the Olympus LS-10. If you want to
      go better than that, then there's a Sony now, at almost twice the
      price. The bastards at Sony are offering it only reluctantly because
      they wanted to keep the market for lossless recording & transfers
      closed, so this bitch company should be boykotted. In any case,
      separate mic.s, even though great ones are built in. Thanks for great
      recordings MD so far, good luck with new eqmt.

      --
      "We are the music we play" (Albert Ayler)
    • Owombat
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 1, 2008
        hi bernie,
        i´m doing good with my m-audio 2496. now the next, stabilized version is available, but mine has improved as well after updating firmware from their homesite. weak point though is the built-in rechargeable battery. if i would make a change it would be buying a device with exchangeable rech.batts (buy spares!), more convenient during festivals and whenever recharging could be a problem.
        in any case, get GOOD microphones: large dynamic, large linear frequency band. and get a good position! i think this is more crucial than the recording device.
        if any addtl. point here is to be made, it would be to pay attention to good analog-digital transforming (where sony should be good, but this is an unconfirmed single statement).
        i do not rely on built in mics, however friends told me that those helped at least getting "some" recording, if/when their external mic-set did go bad (which never happened to me, so...)
        happy recording!

        Owombat

        To: dimeadozenjazzforum@yahoogroups.com
        From: berniecc@...
        Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 12:17:21 +0200
        Subject: [dimeadozenjazzforum] Digital recorder

        Which digital recorder do you recommend me from this catalog: http://tinyurl.com/6jfgp9 ?

        I'm hesitating to purchase a handy good one for concerts (stealth recording) capable to record up to WAV PCM 24-bit 96KHz.
        This one http://tinyurl.com/5mlllw looks good.

        Thanx.
        Bernie.

        Kostenlos bloggen + eigene Homepage + Fotospeicher = MSN Spaces Kostenlos!
      • Shaun Toole
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 1, 2008
          Pardon me for butting in - I don't own a recorder and don't do
          stealth recording - but in my experience, good microphones are every
          bit as important as the bit rates and sample frequencies of
          recorders. I lean toward cardiod directional mics over
          omnidirectional models. Cardiods focus on the audio in front of them,
          while omni's tend to pick up lots of crowd noise and hall acoustics.
          You'll hear more difference between good and bad mics than you will
          between 96 kHz and 48 kHz. Spend a chunk of your budget on good mics
          and you won't be sorry.
          --- In dimeadozenjazzforum@yahoogroups.com, "tradelivebootlegs"
          <tradelivebootlegs@...> wrote:

          > Hi Bernie,
          >
          > Throughout happy here with the Olympus LS-10. After MiniDisc, I had
          > only temporarily upgraded to Edirol R9. The Edirol has almost ideal
          > functionality but deficits in the casing quality. Otherwise almost
          > equal, the deficits don't prevail on the Olympus LS-10. If you want
          > go better than that, then there's a Sony now, at almost twice the
          > price. The bastards at Sony are offering it only reluctantly
          because
          > they wanted to keep the market for lossless recording & transfers
          > closed, so this bitch company should be boykotted. In any case,
          > separate mic.s, even though great ones are built in. Thanks for
          great
          > recordings MD so far, good luck with new eqmt.
          >

          > --- In dimeadozenjazzforum@yahoogroups.com, Bernie <berniecc@>
          wrote:

          > > Which digital recorder do you recommend me from this catalog:
          > > http://tinyurl.com/6jfgp9 ?
          > >
          > > I'm hesitating to purchase a handy good one for concerts (stealth
          > recording)
          > > capable to record up to WAV PCM 24-bit 96KHz.
          > > This one http://tinyurl.com/5mlllw looks good.
          > >
          > > Thanx.
          > > Bernie.

        • tom_ferrara
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 1, 2008
            --- In dimeadozenjazzforum@yahoogroups.com, Owombat <owombat@...>
            wrote:

            > hi bernie,i´m doing good with my m-audio 2496. now the next,
            stabilized version is available, but mine has improved as well after
            updating firmware from their homesite. weak point though is the built-
            in rechargeable battery. if i would make a change it would be buying
            a device with exchangeable rech.batts (buy spares!), more convenient
            during festivals and whenever recharging could be a problem.
            > in any case, get GOOD microphones: large dynamic, large linear
            frequency band. and get a good position! i think this is more crucial
            than the recording device.
            > if any addtl. point here is to be made, it would be to pay
            attention to good analog-digital transforming (where sony should be
            good, but this is an unconfirmed single statement).
            > i do not rely on built in mics, however friends told me that those
            helped at least getting "some" recording, if/when their external mic-
            set did go bad (which never happened to me, so...)
            > happy recording!
            >
            > Owombat

            Yes I aggree Hannes that the microphone with large dynamic, and the
            taper's location are the most critial aspects when doing a recording.
            Anyone that has reseived my recent recording of Cecil Taylor from
            July 20 can hear how wonderful the sound is. I had placed my recorder
            against the front left leg of the piano and got the most wonderful
            recording. I have an external Sony MIC that cost around 300 USD.
            Sometimes it is hard to use an external MIC if you don't want to get
            caught recording the show. The only time I ever was caught was when I
            used my external MIC.
            keep recording

            Bluenote2005.
          • Bernie
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 1, 2008
              I have 2 "sound professionals" cardioid external mics with cables joined  at the end to a mini jack stereo which I plug into an amplifier with bass filters configurable by deep switches. This amplifier is pluged to the recorder by a stereo cable with another mini jack pluged to the recorder thru the line-in connection.

              Thanx for your advices.
              Bernie.

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 15, 2008
                I've decided to buy Zoom H2. How much room in disk needs an hour of concert at 24-bit 96 KHz WAV PCM?

                Thanx.
                Bernie.
              • hal_1598
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 15, 2008
                  512MB 1GB 2GB 4GB

                  WAV
                  16bit / 44.1kHz 48 94 188 377
                  24bit / 44.1kHz 32 62 125 251
                  16bit / 48kHz 44 86 173 347
                  24bit / 48kHz 29 57 115 231
                  16bit / 96kHz 22 43 86 173
                  24bit / 96kHz 14 28 57 115

                  *Recording times are approximations. Actual times may differ according
                  to recording conditions. 8GB times are approximately double 4GB times.