Re: Scofield June 27 2008 Toronto

  • jdot0420
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2008
      Wow - even as .mp3s, this show sounds great! Thanks for sharing this!

      I could be mistaken, but it seems like all the tunes are from the same
      album ("This Meets That"). It's hard to tell in places, because on the
      album, the horns add a very different dynamic to the material, and
      there are some embellishments in the live stripped-down performances.
      I'm pretty sure about track 3, sort of sure about 4, and not entirely
      sure about 5. I'm thinking that this could be your set list.

      001 intro > House of the Rising Sun (false start) (04:41.898)
      002 House of the Rising Sun (07:47.034)
      003 Heck Of A Job (10:10.612)
      004 Pretty Out (09:35.435)
      005 Trio Blues (08:06.091)
      006 Behind Closed Doors (07:19.415)
      007 The Low Road (12:17.617)
      encore:
      008 - Sonny Moon for Two (13:14.978)

      Demonoid seems alright to me, I haven't had much experience with Mininova.

      --- In dimeadozenjazzforum@yahoogroups.com, Chris Smart <chris_s@...>
      wrote:

      > Here's a link to my recording of the John Scofield Trio, June 27
      > 2008. There's a catch though:
      >
      > It's in mp3 form, so some of you who are big fans can help me with
      > song titles. Then, once I have that sorted out, I can seed the
      > lossless 16- and 24-bit versions somewhere. Any idea where you'd
      > like to see it? Mininova is probably most accessible to people, but
      > I can do demonoid as well.
      > http://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/8oi771
      > will get you the mp3's for now. :)
      > Chris
    • Chris Smart
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2008
        Hi there. Thanks for the setlist possibility. :)
        Glad you like the sound. Yes, I did compress the heck out of it on
        the computer - the 24-bit source sounds pretty good too, cranked up.

        I'm reluctant to post at demonoid only because it's harder for
        people to grab things there, if they aren't already
        members. Mininova seems wide open, and well, a dumping ground for
        a lot of crap. *LOL*
        Chris
      • Carlos
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 1, 2008
          Chris Smart escreveu:
          > Hi there. Thanks for the setlist possibility. :)
          > Glad you like the sound. Yes, I did compress the heck out of it on
          > the computer - the 24-bit source sounds pretty good too, cranked up.
          >
          > I'm reluctant to post at demonoid only because it's harder for
          > people to grab things there, if they aren't already
          > members. Mininova seems wide open, and well, a dumping ground for
          > a lot of crap. *LOL*

          And Zomb? or Hunger City?

          blueschief from Brasil
        • tradelivebootlegs
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 2, 2008
            2 points IMO here:

            #1: Sco is an a$$hl.
            I used to buy all his official releases. Liked them a lot. A
            guitarist with a recognizable touch. Then learnt about his attitude.
            Towards ROIO etc. Consequence: I BUY NO MORE. Thank you, Sco. Now I
            won't even invest my D/L time & bandwidth anymore.

            #2: Formats: I tape in 2448 and seed this format wav/flac on the
            dime. I agree in that on good quality mp3s, human ear *hardly* hears
            any differene at all. It is a nuisance, the format debate. Just keep
            the good stuff comin, mp3, flac, PCM, bluray, doesn't matter.

            --- In dimeadozenjazzforum@yahoogroups.com, "jdot0420" <j.free@...>
            wrote:

            > Wow - even as .mp3s, this show sounds great! Thanks for sharing
            this!

            > I could be mistaken, but it seems like all the tunes are from the
            same
            > album ("This Meets That"). It's hard to tell in places, because on
            the
            > album, the horns add a very different dynamic to the material, and
            > there are some embellishments in the live stripped-down
            performances.
            > I'm pretty sure about track 3, sort of sure about 4, and not
            entirely
            > sure about 5. I'm thinking that this could be your set list.
            >
            > 001 intro > House of the Rising Sun (false start) (04:41.898)
            > 002 House of the Rising Sun (07:47.034)
            > 003 Heck Of A Job (10:10.612)
            > 004 Pretty Out (09:35.435)
            > 005 Trio Blues (08:06.091)
            > 006 Behind Closed Doors (07:19.415)
            > 007 The Low Road (12:17.617)
            > encore:
            > 008 - Sonny Moon for Two (13:14.978)
            >
            > Demonoid seems alright to me, I haven't had much experience with
            Mininova.

            > --- In dimeadozenjazzforum@yahoogroups.com, Chris Smart <chris_s@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Here's a link to my recording of the John Scofield Trio, June 27
            > > 2008. There's a catch though:
            > >
            > > It's in mp3 form, so some of you who are big fans can help me
            with
            > > song titles. Then, once I have that sorted out, I can seed the
            > > lossless 16- and 24-bit versions somewhere. Any idea where you'd
            > > like to see it? Mininova is probably most accessible to people,
            but
            > > I can do demonoid as well.
            > > http://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/8oi771
            > > will get you the mp3's for now. :)
            > > Chris

          • Chris Smart
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 2, 2008
              Well I'll be seeding my 24-bit Sco soon ... the unmolested version,
              as well as the .flac16 version that is compressed a bit... next day
              or two.
              Chris
            • jdot0420
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 3, 2008
                Well, I don't know enough abut what transpired to make Sco develop his
                current stance about ROIOs, but I go with it. I'll still buy his
                official albums, because that is the business he is in - to create and
                sell his art, and it is something I like. It seems a fair enough
                trade. I guess I don't see how his stance on ROIOs has anything to do
                with the fact that he makes a living selling his music, though.

                As an avid taper (well, okay, I don't really use "tape" anymore...),
                I'm always a bit bummed when someone expresses a desire NOT to be
                recorded, or traded, or torrented, or whatever. But then, I remember
                that some ROIOs exist in part, because sometimes we just have to break
                the rules a little bit.

                When I recorded a couple of recent concerts - one by Oregon, one by
                Bill Frisell - I assumed I had better keep my gear discreet. It would
                have been easier in some respects if I had been able to record openly,
                but sometimes stealth recording makes me work a bit harder at getting
                a decent recording, so maybe it all evens out. I've had plenty of
                gigs go wrong, where a band had actually hired me to record - I
                suspect because I could have everything out in the open, maybe I had
                just a little to much faith in my gear to work properly.

                I dunno - my understanding is that Sco is actually NOT opposed to
                taping, but he (or quite possibly, his label or management, most
                likely) doesn't agree with the whole torrenting thing.

                "John Scofield allows taping at the discretion of each venue on a case
                by case basis. No video taping, no board patches, SORRY.

                Taping of his Jazz Trio or other jazz oriented projects will not be
                permitted for reasons outside Scofield's authority -- contractual
                obligations and the wishes of other musicians with differing opinions.

                No Scofield tape may be posted on any internet download sites -- they
                are for individual trading only."

                The policy then goes on to invite people with questions to contact
                John or Sue personally via e-mail, so it seems they are at least
                willing to talk about it it - and who knows, they may be willing to
                work things out in some cases?

                As for audio formats, I won't buy downloads of an artist's music if
                it's only in .mp3 - but that's mostly because I don't own an iPod, and
                I don't listen to music on my computer. If I want to track down an
                official release of something, I'll find it, and I won;t have to
                settle for .mp3 files.

                On the other hand, if someone wants to share a ROIO, my personal
                preference would be a simple, non-"mastered" 16-bit lossless format,
                because again, if it's 24-bit, then I have to down-sample it anyway,
                so I can play it on the CD players I already own (I'm not planning to
                buy any new portable gear just to listen to audio; I have enough
                things to spend my money on).

                Then again, if I want something bad enough, I'll take it any way I can
                get it, and if I have to convert a 24-bit version or an .mp3, so be
                it. Ultimately, I just want to hear it, you know. What I'm really
                not into is debating the merits of different formats, or what sounds
                better, or how technological advances demand we change our ways,
                yadda-yadda-yadda, blah-blah-blah... What I'm interested in is what
                works for me. Other people can concern themselves with what works for
                them, and we can all be happy, I think.

                --- In dimeadozenjazzforum@yahoogroups.com, "tradelivebootlegs"