Re: [dimeadozenjazzforum] European Jazz...a discussion

  • matt_leivers@tesco.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 1, 2006
      another link you might try is

      http://www.jazzservices.org.uk/

      for masses of info on jazz in the UK.

      tom_phillips and yorick are a couple more names that spring to mind who regularly upload quaility european jazz torrents, alwoays worth checking out their offerings. we had a whole slew of John Surman shows shared a few months back, 10 of which are still on the tracker
    • orangefunk_2000
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1, 2006
        European jazz came late for me too, which is weird as I'm in the UK!

        I got into it since the last 5-10 years I'd say. Up to that point I
        was convinced that only the US made good jazz... internet changed all
        that...

        I agree about the Garbarek stuff that people are mentioning but I
        think the better stuff came from his pianist Rainer Bruninghaus.
        Check his 2 CDs on ECM and marvel at how he blended synths and
        sequencers, yet played Jarrett like piano over the top. I know it
        doesn't sound like it would be good but believe me it's killer... esp
        the Friegweht CD!

        Also check Rainer on the 1970s LPs by Eberhard Weber... I especially
        like Yellow Fields (1975).

        Also perhaps check Arild Andersens ouput such as Shimri and Green
        Shading Into Blue... great 1970s LPs that don't sound dated.

        A particular favourite LP of mine is Riot "Green and Blue" (Or
        perhaps BLue and Green I can't remember!) from 1976. Features superb
        prototypical EST like material along with some free elements... Andy
        Lumpp was the pianist... Beckerhoff on flugel I think... I thought
        I'd died and gone to heaven when I heard this LP... bit of an unknown
        classic that a few of Japanese collectors seem to like!

        Also check the 1977 LP by Azimuth with Kenny Wheeler, Norma Winstone
        and John Taylor... this is great great jazz...

        In fact I just realised all the above is 90% ECM!! ;-)

        --- In dimeadozenjazzforum@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Augen"
        <danaugen@...> wrote:

        > Seeing as how there is a large number of European people that
        belong to
        > DIME, and also this Jazz list, I figure it's a good place to ask a
        few
        > questions about European Jazz.
        >
        > Recently, I have been "turned one" to some great European Jazz by
        some of
        > you DIME people. I have discovered some fantastic new musicians
        through the
        > seeds of people like peterw, joerg, Simplex, and of course the
        legendary
        > unclewolfi. I know there's lots more of you, but they come to mind
        at the
        > current moment. I've been introduced to such artists as Esbjorn
        Svensson,
        > Simple Acoustic Trio, Enrico Rava, Till Bronner, Wolgang Dauner,
        Tomasz
        > Stanko, Monty Alexander, and Wolfgang Haffner. I've got a
        collection of
        > 3,000 commercial Jazz albums, and around 1,000 unofficial Jazz
        recordings,
        > and if you would've have mentioned these names to me 9 months ago I
        would
        > have no idea who they are.
        >
        > Svensson has become by favorite "modern" piano player, and one of
        my all
        > time favorites. I have aquired many live recordings of him and
        E.S.T. and
        > I've since collected his entire (and sometimes obscure) discography.
        >
        > A little while back I was fortunate enough to download a couple of
        Wolfi's
        > seeds of the Simple Acoustic Trio, which consists of Marcin
        Wasilewski,
        > Slawomir Kurkiewicz, and Michal Miskiewicz. I have been taken in by
        > Marcin's piano playing, I think it is masterful. It has almost a
        classical
        > feel to it. He seems to be a new musician, as he has only 1 album
        out,
        > released in 2005 (which I plan to track down). I was also
        surprised that
        > there are no releases for Simple Acoustic Trio. So how can I hear
        more
        > music of this great new player? Does anyone have any live
        recordings of
        > Marcin or Simple Acoustic Trio that they can seed? I also figured
        out that
        > the 3 musicians above sometimes play with Tomasz Stanko, I've
        downloaded a
        > couple seeds of this group and it's great as well!
        >
        > I would also be interested in seeing some more seeds of Wolfgang
        Haffner or
        > Monty Alexander, I am really enjoying the recent seeds that showed
        up on
        > DIME.
        >
        > So, let me ask you guys, where I can I find some info on the top
        European
        > Jazz players out there? I haven't been able to find many resources
        on the
        > web. What are some names I should look for and who are some of your
        > favorites? I will also welcome some links to info on European Jazz
        > musicians if you have them.
        >
        > -Dan

      • Mr Raffaello Bellano
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 3, 2006
          Last but nont least do not forget Italian Jazz
          musicians:
          Rava, D'Andrea, Tommaso (Giovanni & Bruno), Fresu,
          Bollani, Rea, Minafra, Trovesi, the great late Massimo
          Urbani and many, many others!

          Rafbel
          --- orangefunk_2000 <orange__funk@...> ha

          http://mail.yahoo.it
        • Dan Augen
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 3, 2006
            thank you for the recommendations!

            scritto:

> [...]
            > out that
            > > the 3 musicians above sometimes play with Tomasz
            > Stanko, I've
            > downloaded a
            > > couple seeds of this group and it's great as well!
            > >
            > > I would also be interested in seeing some more
            > seeds of Wolfgang
            > Haffner or
            > > Monty Alexander, I am really enjoying the recent
            > seeds that showed
            > up on
            > > DIME.
            > >
            > > So, let me ask you guys, where I can I find some
            > info on the top
            > European
            > > Jazz players out there? I haven't been able to
            > find many resources
            > on the
            > > web. What are some names I should look for and
            > who are some of your
            > > favorites? I will also welcome some links to info

            http://mail.yahoo.it

          • janlar5
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 5, 2006
              Not sure if these fine musicians have been mentioned but here are a few
              I like.
              nicolas simion
              christoph lauer
              nguyen le