Another couple of questions from a newbie

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 25, 2003
      Hi guys,
      Well I still have not been able to catch a signal to see if I can
      decode it. I did use the loopback function on Digtrx to do some
      experimenting. One of the questions I have is whether or not either
      of the programs is supposed to automatically start receiving. Digtrx
      did during the loopback test but hasn't seemed to want to on what I
      think are the on air signals. I may not have everything set just
      right. The other question concerns what a acceptable transmission
      time for one picture would be. The compression really degrades my
      pics I use with regular SSTV. A Scottie 1 signal takes almost a full
      two minutes to transmit by my timing. Would 120 seconds be an
      acceptable transmission time for Digital pics? Sorry if this has
      been covered before but I spent over an hour reading old messages
      today and I didn't see it. It was interesting reading thought to see
      the way the programs and the mode have evolved from the advent of
      this group.
      Tnx and 73,
      Michael
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 25, 2003
        10 minutes is a hard limit for the present protocol for hams in the
        US. Aside from that ask the hams in the QSO with you what length they
        prefer and what length they will tolerate for something exceptional.

        (Of course, if somebody changed the protocol to include even more
        error recovery and a periodic CW ID break then the 10 minute limit
        would become moot leaving only the patience of the other people in
        the QSO with you as the limit.)

        A hard and fast rule of "two minutes" will drive out folks who want
        to trade quick pinkie-nail pictures and annoy people who want to trade
        portraits of their Gods and heros. I believe politeness would and should
        win the day. Learn who you're communicating with and what they might
        prefer for lengths before charging off into the thorn thicket in
        short pants.

        {^_^} W6MKU