DIGTRX 1.12

    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 4, 2003
      I have asked many users of DIGTRX 1.12 if they were able to
      View "Thumbnails of autosave folder (RX history)". Only one
      user has pictures visable. He does not have any idea why it
      works for him and not others. Anybody have any ideas ?

      73 Dave KB4YZ
    • Farrell Winder
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 4, 2003
        Dave,
        Just looked at my History Rx file and there are 5 recent pictures
        there. Does yours work OK? I don't seem to have a problem with 1.12. I
        don't have any ideas as to why the saving would not be consistent with
        others. I am using W98. 73. Farrell, W8ZCF

        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 4, 2003
          Yesterday I sent a picture to Tom N9AMR and Barry KB9VAK.
          Tom received the picture with one bad block. Block #20. Barry
          received the same picture but with four bad blocks. Since Tom
          was able to view a picture but with some distortion on part of the
          picture, he replayed what he had to Barry. Barry knowing that
          this transmission had corrupt data in the #20 block, he was able
          to extract the good data from block #20 from the original
          transmission and insert it into the replayed file. The result was a
          complete uncorrupt file that displayed perfectly.

          All this takes time and a little know-how and would be beyond
          practical for most users. If this process could be automated, it
          may make it possible for every picture to be received perfectly
          under almost any band conditions if the picture were sent multiple
          times.

          Tom is now working on a program to recover corrupt files. I just
          thought I might let others know about what may be possible with
          RDFT (HDSSTV).

          73 Dave KB4YZ
        • STEVE COREY
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 4, 2003
            Dave,

            I have found that if you leave the rx and date stamp unchecked in the setup that the pictures will appear in the last 20 received pics.After closing the program the pics go to the autosave flie.

            Steve

            Dave Jones <djones@...> wrote:
            I have asked many users of DIGTRX 1.12 if they were able to
            View "Thumbnails of autosave folder (RX history)".  Only one
            user has pictures visable.  He does not have any idea why it
            works for him and not others.  Anybody have any ideas ?

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • MM
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 4, 2003
              SpaceCam1 Slow Scan TV project for the International
              Space Station

              September 4, 2003

              MAREX MG�

              Manned Amateur Radio Experiment MG Inc.
              3 Moccasin Lane
              Chelmsford Massachusetts 01824 USA
              marexmg@...
              www.marexmg.org

              The MAREX-MG team is pleased to announce a new
              educational Amateur Radio project scheduled to be used
              on board the International Space Station (ISS) in the
              year 2004. The new Slow Scan TV imaging project is
              called SpaceCam1. The SpaceCam1 Slow Scan Television
              (SSTV) project is a joint project between MAREX-MG and
              ARISS (Amateur Radio International Space Station).
              This system is an entry-level PC based Slow Scan
              Television (SSTV) imaging system which was designed to
              be used on board the International Space Station.

              The SpaceCam1 system will support multiple common SSTV
              transmission modes. SpaceCam1 has been specifically
              designed to be accessible to as many Amateur Radio
              stations and Short Wave Listeners as possible, around
              the world. There are currently over a dozen software
              applications currently on the market which will decode
              the SSTV images coming down from the ISS.

              This project is designed to allow School systems,
              Satellite enthusiast, Short Wave listeners (SWL) and
              Amateur Radio operators easy access to a new JPEG
              imaging project on board the International Space
              Station. The new SpaceCam1 Slow Scan TV imaging
              system will be using a common Amateur Radio channel to
              send and receive images from the International Space
              Station to and from Earth. Anyone with a simple UHF
              receiver and antenna system will be able to decode and
              display live Still JPEG images coming from the
              International Space Station. As an added bonus, if
              you are a licensed Amateur Radio station, you will
              also be allowed to transmit images from Earth to the
              SpaceCam1 system on board the ISS. And use the Image
              repeater, which will retransmit your Image over a 1500
              mile radius.

              We believe this project will help stimulate a students
              interest in the space program by putting part of the
              ISS project within reach of the common student or
              school system. And it will also increase the publics
              awareness of the things that can be done with Amateur
              Radio and Amateur Radio Satellite projects.

              We have come a long way since those days and we are
              now a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit corporation. Any
              corporate sponsorship would be greatly appreciated.
              The original proof-of-concept system was built by the
              MAREX-MG team and successfully flown on the Russian
              Space Station Mir (December 1998 until August 1999).
              The Mir SSTV project was so successful, that we were
              asked to build a new system for the International
              Space Station.

              The SpaceCam1 software project is 100% complete. Our
              final task is in finishing the approval process for
              Space Flight Certification. We even have a tentative
              Rocket Launch schedule for early 2004 on board a
              Russian Progress Cargo rocket (14P).

              Sincerely:

              Gregory Miles Mann, CEO MAREX MG

              Please send donations to MAREX MG Headquarters.
              http://www.marexmg.org/fileshtml/donations.html

              http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 4, 2003
                That should not be too hard to do since the source code for the
                compression is known. You find yourself working with hard offsets
                into the decoded files. If you save the appropriate intermediate
                files it should be easier.

                {^_^}
                > Yesterday I sent a picture to Tom N9AMR and Barry KB9VAK.
                > Tom received the picture with one bad block. Block #20. Barry
                > received the same picture but with four bad blocks. Since Tom
                > was able to view a picture but with some distortion on part of the
                > picture, he replayed what he had to Barry. Barry knowing that
                > this transmission had corrupt data in the #20 block, he was able
                > to extract the good data from block #20 from the original
                > transmission and insert it into the replayed file. The result was a
                > complete uncorrupt file that displayed perfectly.
                >
                > All this takes time and a little know-how and would be beyond
                > practical for most users. If this process could be automated, it
                > may make it possible for every picture to be received perfectly
                > under almost any band conditions if the picture were sent multiple
                > times.
                >
                > Tom is now working on a program to recover corrupt files. I just
                > thought I might let others know about what may be possible with
                > RDFT (HDSSTV).
                >
                > 73 Dave KB4YZ

              • dl8le
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 5, 2003
                  Question: Is there not a possibility to repeat corrupted blocks only
                  until the previous corrupted block is ok instead of repeating
                  complete picutures? This would reduce the time needed for a complete
                  good picture tremendously especially when the band is noisy.

                  73

                  Juergen, DL8LE

                  --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, Dave Jones <djones@t...> wrote:
                  > Yesterday I sent a picture to Tom N9AMR and Barry KB9VAK.
                  > Tom received the picture with one bad block. Block #20. Barry
                  > received the same picture but with four bad blocks. Since Tom
                  > was able to view a picture but with some distortion on part of the
                  > picture, he replayed what he had to Barry. Barry knowing that
                  > this transmission had corrupt data in the #20 block, he was able
                  > to extract the good data from block #20 from the original
                  > transmission and insert it into the replayed file. The result was a
                  > complete uncorrupt file that displayed perfectly.
                  >
                  > All this takes time and a little know-how and would be beyond
                  > practical for most users. If this process could be automated, it
                  > may make it possible for every picture to be received perfectly
                  > under almost any band conditions if the picture were sent multiple
                  > times.
                  >
                  > Tom is now working on a program to recover corrupt files. I just
                  > thought I might let others know about what may be possible with
                  > RDFT (HDSSTV).
                  >
                  > 73 Dave KB4YZ
                • Eric S. Johansson
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 5, 2003
                    dl8le explained:

                    > Question: Is there not a possibility to repeat corrupted blocks only
                    > until the previous corrupted block is ok instead of repeating
                    > complete picutures? This would reduce the time needed for a complete
                    > good picture tremendously especially when the band is noisy.

                    it is infinitely practical. This feature has been present in protocols like
                    TCP/IP and UUCP since their inception over 20 years ago.

                    I think it is time to stop thinking of Digital slow scan tv is a picture mode
                    and instead think of it as a picture mode riding on top of a data transport
                    mechanism. Make the data transport reliable using well-known techniques and
                    then the pictures will become reliable automatically. If you do this, then you
                    also open the door to also create digital voice on ham radio. There are some
                    good quality very low bit rate codecs available today that would play nicely
                    with radio.

                    so, pick up a protocol book written any time within the past five years and
                    you'll find everything you need to know about making the data transport portion
                    of digisstv reliable in the face of most interference.

                    ---eric
                  • i6kzr
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 5, 2003
                      Hallo All,
                      I have no problem with Windows 200 pro, but a friend of mine with windows 98
                      has not the possibility to view thumbnails!
                      We don't know why it is possible this... We have tried many variations
                      without result.

                      de Renzo i6kzr

                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 7, 2003
                        I would like to express my thanks to the several DIGTRX
                        users that responded to my original message concerning
                        viewing the thumbnails in RX history.

                        Steve Corey's message gave me the clue to making these
                        thumbnails visable. Turning the "Save RX file with time
                        stamp" off AND turning "Save RX file" on will allow the
                        thumbnails to be visable in the RX history.

                        The problem with this configuration is that if a second
                        file is received having the same name as one previously
                        stored in autosave, a dialog box will appear. Until this
                        box is manually cleared from the screen, only one
                        RDFT transmission can be buffered and all others
                        would be lost. This would effectivly disable Auto RX
                        when the system is left unattended.

                        73 Dave KB4YZ

                        >>I have asked many users of DIGTRX 1.12 if they were able to
                        >>View "Thumbnails of autosave folder (RX history)". Only one
                        >>user has pictures visable. He does not have any idea why it
                        >>works for him and not others. Anybody have any ideas ?
                        >>
                        >>73 Dave KB4YZ

                      • w4jxm
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 29, 2003
                          on this a.m early 21mhz sigs/opr vy poor vy big eu alum curtainon both
                          psk/rtty
                          chas