Re: [digsstv] Use of 14240kHz in Europe?

  • John R Wells
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 12, 2003
      Hello Renzo,

      Thanks for that information!
      I will monitor the frequency and perhaps join in one day.
      I also hope to be improving my antenna very soon.

      73 de John

      ---
      This e-mail has been checked for viruses using AVG Anti-virus.
      No known viruses were sent with this message.
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 4, 2003
        I have asked many users of DIGTRX 1.12 if they were able to
        View "Thumbnails of autosave folder (RX history)". Only one
        user has pictures visable. He does not have any idea why it
        works for him and not others. Anybody have any ideas ?

        73 Dave KB4YZ
      • Farrell Winder
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 4, 2003
          Dave,
          Just looked at my History Rx file and there are 5 recent pictures
          there. Does yours work OK? I don't seem to have a problem with 1.12. I
          don't have any ideas as to why the saving would not be consistent with
          others. I am using W98. 73. Farrell, W8ZCF

          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 4, 2003
            Yesterday I sent a picture to Tom N9AMR and Barry KB9VAK.
            Tom received the picture with one bad block. Block #20. Barry
            received the same picture but with four bad blocks. Since Tom
            was able to view a picture but with some distortion on part of the
            picture, he replayed what he had to Barry. Barry knowing that
            this transmission had corrupt data in the #20 block, he was able
            to extract the good data from block #20 from the original
            transmission and insert it into the replayed file. The result was a
            complete uncorrupt file that displayed perfectly.

            All this takes time and a little know-how and would be beyond
            practical for most users. If this process could be automated, it
            may make it possible for every picture to be received perfectly
            under almost any band conditions if the picture were sent multiple
            times.

            Tom is now working on a program to recover corrupt files. I just
            thought I might let others know about what may be possible with
            RDFT (HDSSTV).

            73 Dave KB4YZ
          • STEVE COREY
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 4, 2003
              Dave,

              I have found that if you leave the rx and date stamp unchecked in the setup that the pictures will appear in the last 20 received pics.After closing the program the pics go to the autosave flie.

              Steve

              Dave Jones <djones@...> wrote:
              I have asked many users of DIGTRX 1.12 if they were able to
              View "Thumbnails of autosave folder (RX history)".  Only one
              user has pictures visable.  He does not have any idea why it
              works for him and not others.  Anybody have any ideas ?

              Do you Yahoo!?

            • MM
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 4, 2003
                SpaceCam1 Slow Scan TV project for the International
                Space Station

                September 4, 2003

                MAREX MG�

                Manned Amateur Radio Experiment MG Inc.
                3 Moccasin Lane
                Chelmsford Massachusetts 01824 USA
                marexmg@...
                www.marexmg.org

                The MAREX-MG team is pleased to announce a new
                educational Amateur Radio project scheduled to be used
                on board the International Space Station (ISS) in the
                year 2004. The new Slow Scan TV imaging project is
                called SpaceCam1. The SpaceCam1 Slow Scan Television
                (SSTV) project is a joint project between MAREX-MG and
                ARISS (Amateur Radio International Space Station).
                This system is an entry-level PC based Slow Scan
                Television (SSTV) imaging system which was designed to
                be used on board the International Space Station.

                The SpaceCam1 system will support multiple common SSTV
                transmission modes. SpaceCam1 has been specifically
                designed to be accessible to as many Amateur Radio
                stations and Short Wave Listeners as possible, around
                the world. There are currently over a dozen software
                applications currently on the market which will decode
                the SSTV images coming down from the ISS.

                This project is designed to allow School systems,
                Satellite enthusiast, Short Wave listeners (SWL) and
                Amateur Radio operators easy access to a new JPEG
                imaging project on board the International Space
                Station. The new SpaceCam1 Slow Scan TV imaging
                system will be using a common Amateur Radio channel to
                send and receive images from the International Space
                Station to and from Earth. Anyone with a simple UHF
                receiver and antenna system will be able to decode and
                display live Still JPEG images coming from the
                International Space Station. As an added bonus, if
                you are a licensed Amateur Radio station, you will
                also be allowed to transmit images from Earth to the
                SpaceCam1 system on board the ISS. And use the Image
                repeater, which will retransmit your Image over a 1500
                mile radius.

                We believe this project will help stimulate a students
                interest in the space program by putting part of the
                ISS project within reach of the common student or
                school system. And it will also increase the publics
                awareness of the things that can be done with Amateur
                Radio and Amateur Radio Satellite projects.

                We have come a long way since those days and we are
                now a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit corporation. Any
                corporate sponsorship would be greatly appreciated.
                The original proof-of-concept system was built by the
                MAREX-MG team and successfully flown on the Russian
                Space Station Mir (December 1998 until August 1999).
                The Mir SSTV project was so successful, that we were
                asked to build a new system for the International
                Space Station.

                The SpaceCam1 software project is 100% complete. Our
                final task is in finishing the approval process for
                Space Flight Certification. We even have a tentative
                Rocket Launch schedule for early 2004 on board a
                Russian Progress Cargo rocket (14P).

                Sincerely:

                Gregory Miles Mann, CEO MAREX MG

                Please send donations to MAREX MG Headquarters.
                http://www.marexmg.org/fileshtml/donations.html

                http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 4, 2003
                  That should not be too hard to do since the source code for the
                  compression is known. You find yourself working with hard offsets
                  into the decoded files. If you save the appropriate intermediate
                  files it should be easier.

                  {^_^}
                  > Yesterday I sent a picture to Tom N9AMR and Barry KB9VAK.
                  > Tom received the picture with one bad block. Block #20. Barry
                  > received the same picture but with four bad blocks. Since Tom
                  > was able to view a picture but with some distortion on part of the
                  > picture, he replayed what he had to Barry. Barry knowing that
                  > this transmission had corrupt data in the #20 block, he was able
                  > to extract the good data from block #20 from the original
                  > transmission and insert it into the replayed file. The result was a
                  > complete uncorrupt file that displayed perfectly.
                  >
                  > All this takes time and a little know-how and would be beyond
                  > practical for most users. If this process could be automated, it
                  > may make it possible for every picture to be received perfectly
                  > under almost any band conditions if the picture were sent multiple
                  > times.
                  >
                  > Tom is now working on a program to recover corrupt files. I just
                  > thought I might let others know about what may be possible with
                  > RDFT (HDSSTV).
                  >
                  > 73 Dave KB4YZ

                • dl8le
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 5, 2003
                    Question: Is there not a possibility to repeat corrupted blocks only
                    until the previous corrupted block is ok instead of repeating
                    complete picutures? This would reduce the time needed for a complete
                    good picture tremendously especially when the band is noisy.

                    73

                    Juergen, DL8LE

                    --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, Dave Jones <djones@t...> wrote:
                    > Yesterday I sent a picture to Tom N9AMR and Barry KB9VAK.
                    > Tom received the picture with one bad block. Block #20. Barry
                    > received the same picture but with four bad blocks. Since Tom
                    > was able to view a picture but with some distortion on part of the
                    > picture, he replayed what he had to Barry. Barry knowing that
                    > this transmission had corrupt data in the #20 block, he was able
                    > to extract the good data from block #20 from the original
                    > transmission and insert it into the replayed file. The result was a
                    > complete uncorrupt file that displayed perfectly.
                    >
                    > All this takes time and a little know-how and would be beyond
                    > practical for most users. If this process could be automated, it
                    > may make it possible for every picture to be received perfectly
                    > under almost any band conditions if the picture were sent multiple
                    > times.
                    >
                    > Tom is now working on a program to recover corrupt files. I just
                    > thought I might let others know about what may be possible with
                    > RDFT (HDSSTV).
                    >
                    > 73 Dave KB4YZ
                  • Eric S. Johansson
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 5, 2003
                      dl8le explained:

                      > Question: Is there not a possibility to repeat corrupted blocks only
                      > until the previous corrupted block is ok instead of repeating
                      > complete picutures? This would reduce the time needed for a complete
                      > good picture tremendously especially when the band is noisy.

                      it is infinitely practical. This feature has been present in protocols like
                      TCP/IP and UUCP since their inception over 20 years ago.

                      I think it is time to stop thinking of Digital slow scan tv is a picture mode
                      and instead think of it as a picture mode riding on top of a data transport
                      mechanism. Make the data transport reliable using well-known techniques and
                      then the pictures will become reliable automatically. If you do this, then you
                      also open the door to also create digital voice on ham radio. There are some
                      good quality very low bit rate codecs available today that would play nicely
                      with radio.

                      so, pick up a protocol book written any time within the past five years and
                      you'll find everything you need to know about making the data transport portion
                      of digisstv reliable in the face of most interference.

                      ---eric
                    • i6kzr
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 5, 2003
                        Hallo All,
                        I have no problem with Windows 200 pro, but a friend of mine with windows 98
                        has not the possibility to view thumbnails!
                        We don't know why it is possible this... We have tried many variations
                        without result.

                        de Renzo i6kzr

                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 7, 2003
                          I would like to express my thanks to the several DIGTRX
                          users that responded to my original message concerning
                          viewing the thumbnails in RX history.

                          Steve Corey's message gave me the clue to making these
                          thumbnails visable. Turning the "Save RX file with time
                          stamp" off AND turning "Save RX file" on will allow the
                          thumbnails to be visable in the RX history.

                          The problem with this configuration is that if a second
                          file is received having the same name as one previously
                          stored in autosave, a dialog box will appear. Until this
                          box is manually cleared from the screen, only one
                          RDFT transmission can be buffered and all others
                          would be lost. This would effectivly disable Auto RX
                          when the system is left unattended.

                          73 Dave KB4YZ

                          >>I have asked many users of DIGTRX 1.12 if they were able to
                          >>View "Thumbnails of autosave folder (RX history)". Only one
                          >>user has pictures visable. He does not have any idea why it
                          >>works for him and not others. Anybody have any ideas ?
                          >>
                          >>73 Dave KB4YZ

                        • w4jxm
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 29, 2003
                            on this a.m early 21mhz sigs/opr vy poor vy big eu alum curtainon both
                            psk/rtty
                            chas