unsubscribe

  • wa6ddf
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 18, 2003
      I am thoroughly put out with all the suggestive email
      that I have been receiving from someone (or groups)
      using this groups address...suggestive emails, nothing
      that has to do with digsstv or ham radio, like invitations
      to visit porn sites.
      If there is a moderator on this website that views all
      messages before it's sent to the rest of the group, trashing
      or deleting such suggestive emails, then he or they are
      not doing the job.

      Joe - WA6DDF
    • John R Wells
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 19, 2003
        Just shove their e-mail addresses in your Blocked Senders list then they'll
        never be able to e-mail you again.
        I don't think this group is moderated, but maybe it would be a good idea,
        after all, nothing on here is really time-critical and a delay of a few days
        isn't going to make much difference.

        John M5AML

        ---
        This e-mail has been checked for viruses using AVG Anti-virus.
        No known viruses were sent with this message.
      • Art Harding
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 19, 2003
          Hi,

          Many of the groups are having this problem, even with the most contentious moderator on the switch.  Problem is, porn is big money so they can hire the hotshot programmers. Now, when you put them in the Block Sender list, they often return because they simply keep changing their name.  Kind of like that old classic, The Andromeda Strain. Delete button best cure at this QTH.

          Art K5YEF

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 19, 2003
            Earthlink has the best spam remover I have ever seen. It screens known spam and possible spam. It, also, will screen everything other than what is on your address list. It holds the spam on its OWN server rather than downloading to your computer. You can opt to read it or just remove it without looking. It has virtually cured my spam problem.

            Jim, K6QE

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 19, 2003
              I don't think you are doing your job. Just push delete. All the groups have
              had this problem with junk. Until congress passes laws putting some control
              on this junk. We have to live with it. Just push delete., works great.

              WB6BNE Gary

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 19, 2003
                John, what you propose is EXTREMELY inhospitable of you. It tends to tag
                you as a classic "luser". The correct way to unsubscribe appears in every
                message transferred by this list in two places.

                This is from the information below the sponsor b*****it:
                --8<--
                --8<--

                This is from the headers of the message:
                --8<--
                --8<--

                Only very unprofessional lists lack the above two lines. All one needs to
                do is spend a moment looking for them and acting through them.

                {^_^} W6MKU said that
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 19, 2003
                  If you are all that extremely annoyed by spam then sterner measures than
                  simply resigning a list that gets too much spam may be needed. Spam is
                  not going to go away until something really gruesome happens to a known
                  spammer. And I don't necessarily mean hard time in prison. Since the
                  sterner measures are not socially acceptable these days, if you elect to
                  indulge in those measures do it most discretely lest you be the one who
                  spends hard time.

                  Another approach would be to join one of the hacker groups that is going
                  after spammer's machines to hack into them and corrupt their databases.

                  {^_-} W6MKU winked that. She's also going to take Yahoo off her anti-
                  spam whitelist and instead whitelist individual Yahoo groups
                  instead. (Most of the lists to which I am joined do NOT get the
                  level of spam, particularly porno spam, this list "enjoys.")
                  > I don't think you are doing your job. Just push delete. All the groups
                  have
                  > had this problem with junk. Until congress passes laws putting some
                  control
                  > on this junk. We have to live with it. Just push delete., works great.
                  >
                  > WB6BNE Gary
                • Eric S. Johansson
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 22, 2003
                    Gary Hinton wrote:

                    > I don't think you are doing your job. Just push delete. All the groups have
                    > had this problem with junk. Until congress passes laws putting some control
                    > on this junk. We have to live with it. Just push delete., works great.

                    one very simple solution would be to set the list so that it only accepts
                    submissions from subscribers. that is how I run all my mailing lists here at
                    harvee.org. laws about spam will only legitimize advertising by e-mail and/or
                    push spam overseas. In the meantime, my spam filter catches most of the crap so
                    all I see is the whingeing about spam.

                    --- eric