File size for 16-5-2003

  • ham100x
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2003
      I have mostly set SSTV and Digtrx aside for a while, mainly because
      of poor band conditions. When I was running Digtrx we were mostly
      using JPG2 files. At that time we had to have a pretty strong signal
      to receive anything. The files had to be small to keep it under 60
      seconds.

      Today I downloaded 16-5-2003. It is looking better all the time. I
      tried to load a few jpg files. I found the files had to be about
      5000 bites or less bites or I would get the message ---coding error
      or file to long. The only files I could get to precode were small
      cartoon type files. Is this normal?

      As the band faded, I went back to SSTV. I could at least get some
      kind of picture there. Will I have to edit all of my SSTV files to
      cut them down to below 500 bites for Digtrx, or am I doing something
      wrong? I certainly do not want to give up on Digtrx. Maybe I can
      find some locals here to exchange pictures. Thanks in advance.

      Bert N7TKO Gold Bar, WA (Sure wish this system had a spell
      corector)
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3, 2003
        Hi Bert,

        Try reducing the length of the filename. Remove any spaces
        or special characters. Move the files to the same drive as the
        DIGTRX program. DIGTRX can handle files as large as
        64,000 bytes. More information on digital SSTV file size
        is available here:

        http://www.tima.com/~djones/size.htm

        73 Dave KB4YZ

        ham100x wrote:

        >I have mostly set SSTV and Digtrx aside for a while, mainly because
        >of poor band conditions. When I was running Digtrx we were mostly
        >using JPG2 files. At that time we had to have a pretty strong signal
        >to receive anything. The files had to be small to keep it under 60
        >seconds.
        >
        >Today I downloaded 16-5-2003. It is looking better all the time. I
        >tried to load a few jpg files. I found the files had to be about
        >5000 bites or less bites or I would get the message ---coding error
        >or file to long. The only files I could get to precode were small
        >cartoon type files. Is this normal?
        >
        >As the band faded, I went back to SSTV. I could at least get some
        >kind of picture there. Will I have to edit all of my SSTV files to
        >cut them down to below 500 bites for Digtrx, or am I doing something
        >wrong? I certainly do not want to give up on Digtrx. Maybe I can
        >find some locals here to exchange pictures. Thanks in advance.
        >
        >Bert N7TKO Gold Bar, WA (Sure wish this system had a spell
        >corector)

      • ham100x
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 3, 2003
          Thanks Dave,
          I downloaded the info and will see what I can dowith it. Thanks,
          Bert N7TKO

          --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, Dave Jones <djones@t...> wrote:
          > Hi Bert,
          >
          > Try reducing the length of the filename. Remove any spaces
          > or special characters. Move the files to the same drive as the
          > DIGTRX program. DIGTRX can handle files as large as
          > 64,000 bytes. More information on digital SSTV file size
          > is available here:
          >
          > http://www.tima.com/~djones/size.htm
          >
          > 73 Dave KB4YZ
          >
          > ham100x wrote:
          >
          > >I have mostly set SSTV and Digtrx aside for a while, mainly
          because
          > >of poor band conditions. When I was running Digtrx we were mostly
          > >using JPG2 files. At that time we had to have a pretty strong
          signal
          > >to receive anything. The files had to be small to keep it under
          60
          > >seconds.
          > >
          > >Today I downloaded 16-5-2003. It is looking better all the time.
          > >tried to load a few jpg files. I found the files had to be about
          > >5000 bites or less bites or I would get the message ---coding
          error
          > >or file to long. The only files I could get to precode were small
          > >cartoon type files. Is this normal?
          > >
          > >As the band faded, I went back to SSTV. I could at least get some
          > >kind of picture there. Will I have to edit all of my SSTV files
          > >cut them down to below 500 bites for Digtrx, or am I doing
          something
          > >wrong? I certainly do not want to give up on Digtrx. Maybe I can
          > >find some locals here to exchange pictures. Thanks in advance.
          > >
          > >Bert N7TKO Gold Bar, WA (Sure wish this system had a spell
          > >corector)

        • Roland M. Zurmely
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 16, 2003
            The only restrictions are:
            The name of the file cannot contain spaces !...
            The file size must be over about 200 bytes and less than 64 kBytes.