new user, can't get program to start properly

  • Chris Myers
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 27, 2013
      I have been using Fldigi for a couple of years, so I know the FT-897 radio and Signalink interface work fine.
      When I load the EasyPal program on my laptop, using Windows XP, Pro, I can get it to start only when logged in with Admin privileges. When I try logging in as an ordinary user, I get the message, "File Access Denied". I have gone back to mark the program as "shared on the network", with no better results.
      When I tried loading the program on my desktop computer, running Win 7, it would not start when logged in as admin or ordinary user. It just refused to start.
      Any ideas??

      Chris Myers, KB1NEK,
      ARES Emergency Coordinator for Franklin CO in WMA
    • Matthew VK3EVL
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 28, 2013
        For win 7 Try right clicking on the file and select "Run as administrator"
        Another option is to turn off UAC which i personally don't like doing but there are many out there who are happy with it.

        The starting with admin privs is probably related to where you have installed the software. From memory (it's been a while since i fired up the software) it needs to write to the directory it is installed in. If that directory is in the program files directory then expect some weirdness if not run as admin.

        Cheers
        Matthew
        VK3EVL

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 28, 2013
          must have audio plugs plugged in ( speaker and mic) try thatt and let me know..

          Garrett / AA0OI

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 28, 2013
            Hi Chris,

            I'm running EasyPal on a Windows 7 Pro system now, with the program installed in C:\Program Files, and it works just fine by double-clicking a shortcut I put on the desktop.  Previously it was running on XP Home.  I'm also running it on my laptop with XP Pro, with the program installed in C:\Program Files.  No need for Admin privileges.

            I'd suggest uninstalling it completely with a program like RevoUninstall, or something that removes all remnants of the installation, and then installing it again.

            Hope this helps.

            73,
            ed - k9ew

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 28, 2013
              It's an old program. It's not setup to work correctly in "Program Files".
              Create a folder "C:\dumbstuff\". Tell installers to put old software into
              that folder. This should make everything work a little nicer. Then bitch
              mightily to the author about fixing the problem.

              {^_^} Joanne/W6MKU

              On 2013/04/28 02:41, Matthew VK3EVL wrote:

              > For win 7 Try right clicking on the file and select "Run as administrator"
              > Another option is to turn off UAC which i personally don't like doing but there
              > are many out there who are happy with it.
              >
              > The starting with admin privs is probably related to where you have installed
              > the software. From memory (it's been a while since i fired up the software) it
              > needs to write to the directory it is installed in. If that directory is in the
              > program files directory then expect some weirdness if not run as admin.
              >
              > Cheers
              > Matthew
              > VK3EVL
              >
              > On 28/04/2013 2:41 AM, Chris Myers wrote:
              >>
              >> I have been using Fldigi for a couple of years, so I know the FT-897 radio and
              >> Signalink interface work fine.
              >> When I load the EasyPal program on my laptop, using Windows XP, Pro, I can get
              >> it to start only when logged in with Admin privileges. When I try logging in
              >> as an ordinary user, I get the message, "File Access Denied". I have gone back
              >> to mark the program as "shared on the network", with no better results.
              >> When I tried loading the program on my desktop computer, running Win 7, it
              >> would not start when logged in as admin or ordinary user. It just refused to
              >> start.
              >> Any ideas??
              >>
              >> Chris Myers, KB1NEK,
              >> ARES Emergency Coordinator for Franklin CO in WMA

            • John Cranfield
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 28, 2013
                Hi

                I am new to this mode and would be grateful if anyone can tell me the QRG’s for this mode please.

                Vy 73 de John ZD7JC
                St. Helena Island
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 28, 2013
                  The author of the program is fairly old,,you should be so spry and writting programs when your his age and the program is FREE,.. Eric, the author, is one of the nicest persons I know and does his best with all his programs,, Again its FREE,, if you feel that you need someone to "BITCH" to bitch at me, I've delt with A.H. all my life and one more will make no difference...
                  I run EasyPal in " program files" in both XP and Windows 7.. There is no problem there...

                  Garrett / AA0OI

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 28, 2013
                    Well, er, ahm, a lady never tells her age. I'm not sure I'm a lady; but, I
                    will enter failsafe mode and simply note that I've been working with
                    electronics for nearly 60 years now, as a ham for about 54 years, and
                    professionally for about 50 years. Draw your own confusions about my age.
                    If you are the author I was playing with CK722s before you were born.

                    That said, the instructions are generic for any program that does not
                    install and run in "program files" or if appropriate "program files (x86)".
                    I can offer some help in this regard as I have some professional software
                    that performs properly on Win 7 (and presumably Win 8). And, yes, at my
                    age I am still working on software in a professional capacity. I'm old.
                    I'm crotchety. And I do like to "do it right." I've harped about that
                    online since the mid 80s. I see no reason to stop now. The problems are,
                    if anything, much worse and much more numerous.

                    I do suggest bitching because getting it right is important for system
                    security. It can protect your bank records and other trivial incidentals
                    like that when the malware bogeyman is running around. And XP is within
                    one year of end of life - no more updates.

                    Somebody else's comment suggests the fldigi author has done it right,
                    one presumes, if the program runs as a regular user and properly stores
                    any data files it may produce when running on Windows 7. Presuming you
                    run EasyPal without resorting to UAC trickery, kudos to the author for
                    getting it right. It's somewhat convoluted to figure out for Win 7.

                    {^_^} Joanne/W6MKU