EasyPal--HELP PLEASE

  • zl3trr@xtra.co.nz
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 6, 2013
      Help Please.

      I thought I would start the new year off by trying a new Mode and want to give SSTV ago and have downloaded Easypal but i cannot find SIMPLE information on what the procedures are?

      Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

      How many watts do I use?

      What do I do when I see a CQ on my screen etc?

      Note:
      Ive been able to set it up okay and have seen lots of CQ Pictures on my screen but dont know what to do? Must be old age Hi Hi

      Happy New Year everyone.

      73 John ZL3TRR
    • siegfried jackstien
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 7, 2013

        > Can anyone point me in the right direction please?
        >
        > How many watts do I use?

        Depends on your station ...

        Do not overdrive (like in any other digital mode)

        If your rig can go 100w ... then maybe only 30-50 max

        Try to avoid alc deflection

        > What do I do when I see a CQ on my screen etc?

        Select a pic, click on transmit

        Or type a text in the text window and click on transmit

        Or select a "waterfalltext" and click on transmit (goes fastest and is
        recognized very easy)

        > Note:
        > Ive been able to set it up okay and have seen lots of CQ Pictures on my
        > screen but dont know what to do? Must be old age Hi Hi

        Regardless how old you are ... you never stop learning ...

        And best is learning by doing :-)

        Here in dl there is much easypal traffic especially on the weeken on 80m

        And sure you can find some local ham-friends that can help you with the
        first steps

        The transmissions are interrupted by short phone talks here (so we use LSB!)
        and if you ask how is this and how is that ... sure anybody will help you

        Hny

        Dg9bfc

        Sigi
      • W6IDS
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 7, 2013

          I need to ask this.

          In times past, it appeared that one needed a linear to augment the digsstv
          transmission in order to achieve a successful transmission.  Whenever a
          station tried to regularly attempt pix transfer using just the transmitter
          alone, invariably proved unsuccessful per se.  Even while using good form
          with the ALC as you describe below.

          This has changed?  I don’t have a linear so I used EasyPal infrequently.
          I started out with DigiTRX.

          Howard W6IDS
          Richmond, IN

          Sent: Monday, January 07, 2013 11:42 AM
          Subject: AW: [digsstv] EasyPal--HELP PLEASE

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 7, 2013
            Sure a linear DOES help ... but it is not needed

            For local ragchewing 30-50 w is enough ... so it is for exchanging pics

            If it did work with digtrx (I remember well hi hi) ... then it should also
            work with easypal

            Just remember that this is a full duty cycle mode ... and so it isbetter to
            use low power on the rig instead of overheating and overdriving ...

            Again ... A LINEAR IS NOT NEEDED!!!

            (I did some tests on 80m with only a few watts ... and guess what ... it
            worked! If condx are good and frequency is clear)

            Try it out with some local friends

            You also can use it on 2m with your friends from local ham-club ... just to
            try things out ... or in other words ... MAKE YOUR SHOES WET AND GET ON THE
            AIR :-)

            Dg9bfc

            sigi

          • Johns Groups
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 7, 2013
              I have three computers with different motherboards. Two XP and one 7 all with up to date software.   EasyPal will re-boot all three.  I use Norton antivirus.  Norton tells me that there is a problem with with EasyPal that I ignore and if I disable Norton EasyPal will still reboot.  Consequently EasyPal is not workable for me, unfortunately. Nice program to loose.

              John, AG4IH

              Sent: Monday, January 07, 2013 12:17 PM
              Subject: AW: AW: [digsstv] EasyPal--HELP PLEASE

              Nachricht-----
              href="mailto:digsstv%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:digsstv%40yahoogroups.com [mailto:mailto:digsstv%40yahoogroups.com] Im Auftrag
              > von W6IDS
              > Gesendet: Montag, 7. Januar 2013 17:04

              An: mailto:digsstv%40yahoogroups.com

              Betreff: Re: AW: [digsstv] EasyPal--HELP PLEASE

              > I need to ask this.
              >
              > In times past, it
              appeared that one needed a linear to augment the digsstv
              > transmission in
              order to achieve a successful transmission. Whenever a
              > station tried to
              regularly attempt pix transfer using just the transmitter
              > alone,
              invariably proved unsuccessful per se. Even while using good form
              > with
              the ALC as you describe below.

              > This has changed? I don’t have a
              linear so I used EasyPal infrequently.
              > I started out with
              DigiTRX.

              > Howard W6IDS
              > Richmond, IN

              href="mailto:digsstv%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:digsstv%40yahoogroups.com

              > > Can anyone point me in the right direction please?
              > >
              > > How many watts do I use?
              > >

              > Depends
              on your station ...

              > Do not overdrive (like in any other digital
              mode)

              > If your rig can go 100w ... then maybe only 30-50
              max

              > Try to avoid alc deflection
              >
              > > What do I
              do when I see a CQ on my screen etc?

              > Select a pic, click on
              transmit

              > Or type a text in the text window and click on
              transmit

              > Or select a "waterfalltext" and click on transmit
              (goes fastest and is
              > recognized very easy)

              Note:
              > > Ive been able to set it up okay and have seen lots of CQ
              Pictures on my
              > > screen but dont know what to do? Must be old age Hi
              Hi

              > Regardless how old you are ... you never stop
              learning ...

              > And best is learning by doing :-)

              Here in dl there is much easypal traffic especially on the weeken on 80m

              > And sure you can find some local ham-friends that can help you with
              the
              > first steps
              >
              > The transmissions are interrupted by
              short phone talks here (so we use
              > LSB!)
              > and if you ask how is
              this and how is that ... sure anybody will help you

              > Hny
              >
              > Dg9bfc
              >
              > Sigi

            • siegfried jackstien
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 7, 2013
                On w7 it is maybe not installed in correct folder??? (win7 security
                settings!) ... but for xp??? I have no answer ... works fine on my 1.8 gig
                single core with 2 gig ram .... no problem when installing or using

                Maybe Norton set some files in security and so install did fail?!?

                Did you try to install on xp with Norton off (disconnected from interned
                with a clean harddrive!)??

                Were did you download easypal??? (some download sites are know to be hacked
                so a virus/Trojan/malware could be possible)

                Here I downloaded from original site ... and install did work fine ...
                antivirus software DID NOT tell any problems ... and what can I say ... it
                just works fine here ...

                Dg9bfc

                Sigi

              • bradc944@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 7, 2013
                  Hi Howard (and group):

                  I, too, do not run an amp and still use EasyPal for DSSTV. I do realize, though, that with a beam (which I also don't use), and an amp, you'll work more people and more will see your pics. Running an amp here is not really in the cards, since the comm rigs are all running on battery power (as is the comms computer and the essential house LAN stuff)... so, I find other things to do while people are merrily sending pics. If I hear one of the gang on 14.233, I'll pop in and say hi and try a pic... usually I get seen by a couple and the rest who do not hear me for some reason can get the pic on DigiSites.

                  I could make more contacts on analog (which I occasionally drop down and do) but the ops running digital are usually more about a balance of pics & QSOs, which seem to be sadly lacking on the analog SSTV freqs in the US.

                  My advice? To quote the fans of my UK football team... "Get In!" Jump in and try a few contacts, you might be well surprised what you can do without an amp :)

                  Cheers & best 73

                  Brad - NP4AI

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 7, 2013
                    Hi John,

                    Not sure what the protocol is in your part of the world, but here in the US, we typically make voice contact with the station that sent the picture before we send one of our own. Unlike analog SSTV where stations are sending on top of stations when things get busy.

                    Over here, when the band opens and we have multiple stations wanting to send pictures, we start sort of a net and then go down the list giving each a turn. That way we get more probablity that the pictures will be received.

                    We also use Digi-Sites and Digi-Cams to assist our pictures. on Digi-Sites you can program your front page with stations that normally copy your pictures. In my case I have east coast, Florida, west coast and NE stations, so if I don't copy the picture myself, I can see it on Digi-Sites. With Digi-Cams, you can see other stations virtual camera's and you can see if someone is sending that you may not be able to copy. The programs can be found at www.w3wvg.com. Dick has some other programs like sstvPics that are usefull in managing your pictures for both sending and receiving and it works directly with EasyPal.

                    One other thing, we don't send many CQ pictures like on analog SSTV. We usually ID in the waterfall so others know we are around but with the net type format there is not much need for CQ. Maybe we will work one of these days. We hang out around 14.233 most days.

                    Hope this is helpful
                    73's

                    --
                    Larry
                    W8LIG/NNN0VBG
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 10, 2013
                      Larry:

                      Not sure if you are directing your message to me.  However, I have three different computers running different versions of windows and easypal will reboot all at various stages.  I give up.  It may be my Norton antivirus program that is the same on all. That is the only commonality.  Norton has rejected easypal downloads several times.  Nice program that needs work at the system level.

                      John, AG4IH.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 10, 2013
                        Hi
                        Norton is one of the "Known problems",, several have had problems with it..You'd be better off with MSE or AGV or frankly just about anything else.. Norton is also a CPU and memory Hog.. If you replace it you will see a vast improvement in computer operations..

                        Garrett / AA0OI

                        Sent: Monday, January 07, 2013 7:43 PM

                        Hi John,

                        Not sure what the protocol is in your part of the world, but here in the US, we typically make voice contact with the station that sent the picture before we send one of our own. Unlike analog SSTV where stations are sending on top of stations when things get busy.

                        Over here, when the band opens and we have multiple stations wanting to send pictures, we start sort of a net and then go down the list giving each a turn. That way we get more probablity that the pictures will be received.

                        We also use Digi-Sites and Digi-Cams to assist our pictures. on Digi-Sites you can program your front page with stations that normally copy your pictures. In my case I have east coast, Florida, west coast and NE stations, so if I don't copy the picture myself, I can see it on Digi-Sites. With Digi-Cams, you can see other stations virtual camera's and you can see if someone is sending that you may not be able to copy. The programs can be found at http://www.w3wvg.com/. Dick has some other programs like sstvPics that are usefull in managing your pictures for both sending and receiving and it works directly with EasyPal.