Re: AW: [digsstv] EasyPal 12b Error

    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 27, 2012
      You live in the outback of Austrailia and see how well you can do..

      Garrett / AA0OI

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 27, 2012
        I've posted fairly detailed instructions for how to go about solving
        the issue in several support forums for digital protocols. There is
        a right way to solve problems and there are many wrong ways. Doing
        it the right way means defective programs are less likely to spread
        their crash across data files that matter.

        I implemented that plus automatic updates within the UAC model in
        about two days, from scratch, for a commercial program I work on.

        {o.o} Joanne, W6MKU

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 27, 2012
          Then please send to Erik and if he doesn't have them ,, I 'm sure he will love the help..
          maybe he doesn't go to your forums !  there down under ,, you know !

          Garrett / AA0OI

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 27, 2012
            by the way,   I'm running windows 7   64 bit and I don't have any problem putting easypal in any folder on any drive,, route directory, or program files or x86 and 95% don't either...

            Garrett / AA0OI

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 27, 2012
              Thought I'd posted it here at least once.

              {^_-}

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 27, 2012
                I don't expect that Erik is a malware vendor. (That's regardless of
                what many malware scanners seem to think, too often.) But, people do
                get infected. It's good to scan things on the way in. (I often wait
                a week so that any infection in the file that might have been a
                brand new zero day has had time to be discovered and detected by my
                scanners. Yes, I am a bit paranoid. {^_-}) I am sure Erik scans. But
                things do slip through all these precautions. The Microsoft setup for
                program files makes it VERY difficult for malware that may have come
                in on infected software to infect other programs.

                Every program that is outside of the Program Files ghetto is
                to secondary infection in several different ways. Those in the ghetto
                are more isolated unless the user makes a stupid mistake and OKs an
                unexpected UAC request.

                Since the ghetto is read and execute only you cannot save data files
                there. For quite some time now Microsoft has had per user data
                supposedly going to "Documents and Settings" (XP) or %APPDATA%\roaming
                (Win7). Traditionally global data was stored in the registry, in the
                folder with the program, or ideally in the all users folder. Now we
                have "c:\programdata" (%ProgramData%\<companyname>\<appname>). That
                folder has the property of not permitting anything in it to be
                executed. So malware that gets tucked in there can't be executed.

                So this all isn't arbitrary. Microsoft thought it through fairly
                carefully and elected to erect new barriers that made it easier for
                users to protect their computers and personal data.

                Yeah, if your program is in C:\whatchamacallit\wiglies and the
                machine gets infected, the owner's screwed. But if the wiglies
                foobar.exe program gets infected or its DLLs get infected that
                just makes it harder to clean the machine and more likely that
                SOME pocket of infection will survive the cleaning attempt. As
                I say, I'm a touch paranoid. So it makes sense to me to make the
                malware author's job as difficult as possible. (Um, I've also made
                myself a solemn promise that if I am on a jury for a trial for a
                known malware author I will never find him innocent of anything
                even if it was murder when he was 2500 miles away.)

                {^_^} Joanne, W6MKU