Random reboot & occasional blue screen

  • ag4ih
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 4, 2012
      I have 3 computers; two running XP and one 7. All with latest service packs. Sometimes easypal runs. The XP units will reboot and the 7 blue screens.

      Any ideas?

      regards,

      John Baird, AG4IH
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 4, 2012
        I have seen a few oddities in W7 regarding file and directory ownership.
        Check the permissions of the directories where you install to carefully.

        Whilst you should not have to do so, quite often installing outside of
        the normal program files tree does seem to cure a lot of problems, with
        quitye a lot of problematic software, however I think easypal does this
        anyway but it's worth checking as is the permissions on those folders.

        A few weeks ago I have a bit of a fight with files owned by
        "trusted installer" if I remember correctly admittedly this was in the
        system directory where I was trying to correct a install issue by
        deleting incorrect driver files, but it was a pain and did highlight that
        there are other permissions lurking about that can upset things.

        I did manage to delete these files after much messing about, but it was
        quicker in the end to boot into a linux system and delete them from
        that :-))

        Have you looked in the windows log files with event viewer, that might
        give a few clues.

        It's very unusual for XP to just reboot, that sort of implies that
        something rather major has happened. It's very difficult to diagnose.

        If this ONLY happens when easypal is running then one thing I would try
        is disconnecting all leads to the radios and simply terminate the
        inputs with some resistance. Run that for a time and see if the problem
        happens again.

        I'm just thinking along the lines of something upsetting
        the sound card maybe. Perhaps something gets onto the input / output
        leads that causes the computer to hiccup. - A Total guess but somewhere
        the start. It's also the only common point across the three computers. Do
        you use the same leads on all three computers, swapping as needed ?

        Andy

        On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 15:02:58 -0000
        "ag4ih" <groups@...> wrote:

        > I have 3 computers; two running XP and one 7. All with latest service packs. Sometimes easypal runs. The XP units will reboot and the 7 blue screens.
        >
        > Any ideas?
        >
        > regards,
        >
        > John Baird, AG4IH

      • Alan
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 4, 2012
          Subject: Re: [digsstv] Random reboot & occasional blue screen

          > It's very unusual for XP to just reboot, that sort of implies that
          > something rather major has happened.

          Andy

          Yes, this is often a blue screen event when Windows is set to reboot instead of showing it.
          System Properties - Startup and Recovery. Untick Automatically restart, it then shows the screen if it does it again.
          Usually a driver problem, video card a favourite.
          Event log should show the report.

          Alan