cannot decode pictures

  • Bob KB9YNC
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 12, 2012
      I am using easypal Aug 6, 2012, on an IBM Thinkpad Windows XP,Signalink USB, A Yaesu FT1500M, FT8100, FT8900. I receive pictures fine, lockon and decode with very few failures. But when I send I get reports of no high frequency signals most people cannot decode my pictures. I have tried setting up two stations with antennas about 30 feet apart using low power and can send back and forth all day no problem, but only one in ten can decode away from my QTH. The other sation I set up was a desktop, windows XP with a signalink USB. All radios used data port for connection to signalink. Anyone have any insight ?
    • Matthew VK3EVL
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 14, 2012
        most common issue i have seen with being unable to transmit is to high a volume on output.
        try turning it down and see if that helps.

        Matthew
        VK3EVL

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 14, 2012
          If I turn down volume in the software PTT drops out. If I do it with TX control on Signalink it only make signal weaker. I have had the internal jumpers on the Signalink in all possible configurations to no avail. I have turned TX down and up no change in modulation it just gets stronger or weaker with no high end. The say the scope picture above the waterfall is slanted from left to right and very small peaks in the high frequency area. Like something is filtering it out.

          --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, Matthew VK3EVL <hitman@...> wrote:

          > most common issue i have seen with being unable to transmit is to high a
          > volume on output.
          > try turning it down and see if that helps.
          >
          > Matthew
          > VK3EVL
          >
          > On 13/10/2012 10:44, Bob KB9YNC wrote:
          > >
          > > I am using easypal Aug 6, 2012, on an IBM Thinkpad Windows
          > > XP,Signalink USB, A Yaesu FT1500M, FT8100, FT8900. I receive pictures
          > > fine, lockon and decode with very few failures. But when I send I get
          > > reports of no high frequency signals most people cannot decode my
          > > pictures. I have tried setting up two stations with antennas about 30
          > > feet apart using low power and can send back and forth all day no
          > > problem, but only one in ten can decode away from my QTH. The other
          > > sation I set up was a desktop, windows XP with a signalink USB. All
          > > radios used data port for connection to signalink. Anyone have any
          > > insight ?

        • siegfried jackstien
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 14, 2012
            The signalink has a low response in the high frequency area if i remember
            right

            Google signalink mods ... some changed the transformers and some caps in the
            signalink ....

            If you have lots of volume left you can try to add a small series cap

            That would lift up higher frequencies (with lowering the overall volume a
            bit)

            There is a series resistor that can be bridged with a jumper

            You can add also a cap there (instead of the jumper) ... that would bring
            the lower frequencies over the resistor and the higher frequencies over
            resistor and cap (so higher frequencies would also lifted up a bit

            All depends on what the frequency curve and filters in your rig form from
            the signal ... if your rig maybe has a "tone" control" ... or a "voice
            equalizer" or similar thing ... that can totally destroy the signal when
            transmitting digital modes

            You have a second rig maybe to control the transmitting signal (or can
            borrow one from a friend)??

            The try to bring your frequency curve as linear as possible

            If your rig does not send out the higher tones very well then try to use a
            narrow mode in easypal (if I remember right there were 2 different bw
            available) ...

            And send your pictures with a robuster mode also does help (ok takes more
            time but gets trough the noise)

            Dg9bfc

            sigi

          • Paul Young G0HWC
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 14, 2012
              For a test try the sound card in your PC into the radio
              if you don’t have a ptt interface you can manually TX
              the radio for the test.

              Paul G0HWC

              href="mailto:digsstv%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:digsstv%40yahoogroups.com [mailto:mailto:digsstv%40yahoogroups.com] Im Auftrag
              > von Bob KB9YNC
              > Gesendet: Sonntag, 14. Oktober 2012
              10:17
              > An:
              href="mailto:digsstv%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:digsstv%40yahoogroups.com

              Betreff: [digsstv] Re: cannot decode pictures

              If I turn down volume in the software PTT drops out. If I do it with TX

              control on Signalink it only make signal weaker. I have had the internal

              jumpers on the Signalink in all possible configurations to no avail. I

              have turned TX down and up no change in modulation it just gets stronger

              or weaker with no high end. The say the scope picture above the waterfall
              > is slanted from left to right and very small peaks in the high
              frequency
              > area. Like something is filtering it out.
              >
              > ---
              In mailto:digsstv%40yahoogroups.com <mailto:digsstv%40yahoogroups.com> ,

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 14, 2012
                Also worth checking how you feed the AF into the Rig.

                Some rigs have tone controls on the mic imputs which can plat havoc with
                data modes. You need an input / setting that bypasses such things.

                Andy

                On Sun, 14 Oct 2012 12:53:56 +0100
                "Paul Young G0HWC" <paul@...> wrote:

                > For a test try the sound card in your PC into the radio
                > if you don’t have a ptt interface you can manually TX
                > the radio for the test.
                > Paul G0HWC
                > http://www.g0hwc.com

              • siegfried jackstien
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 14, 2012

                  > For a test try the sound card in your PC into the radio
                  > if you don't have a ptt interface you can manually TX
                  > the radio for the test.

                  With 2 resistor as power divider (not to overload the rig)

                  I made that with fixed values ...(but a variable 47-100k with a 1k parallel
                  to input would do the job)

                  Turned up volume in windows mixer to mid way and then used several different
                  software and different modes to find the right value that does full power in
                  ALL software (when cranked up to max in mixer) ... and then when setting the
                  mixer lower to have the full slider from the mixer for 0-100w output ...

                  Now setting it to center gives a clean transmission in all soft that I use
                  (some have also an internal control so I could match them all) ...

                  Then I found a similar thing ... too much low tones (or not enough higher
                  tones ... I added a cap and changed the resistors slightly ... and now all
                  is fine :-)

                  Some rigs have a narrow tx filter so then the wider modes in easypal do not
                  work properly

                  For non arq modes with longer transmission periods you also can use the vox
                  (if you use mic input or if your rigs supports vox also on the data in)

                  If receiving and transmitting does work well with your internal soundcard
                  highly depends on the sc and if you have any ground-loops present (that
                  would maybe cause hum noise)

                  Good luck in finding a working setup

                  Dg9bfc

                  sigi