Easy Pal Problem

  • ab9ta
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 9 7:06 PM
      Greetings,

      I've had Easy Pal on my computer for several months now, (don't remember the version) and it's worked fine up until recently.

      It operates erratically, but the chronic problem is that when I try to shut it down, I get an error message that says:

      Cannot create file "C:\Documents and Settings\Allyson\Application\Dats\EasyPal\Last_RX_Picture.png" Access is denied.

      BTW, Allyson is my daughter's name, this was her computer before she got a new one last year, and I took this one back and set it up for ham radio..
      I had changed the computer name a while back, and I believe the program was working OK after the change.. I changed the computer name back to Allyson, but still no luck..

      I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Easy Pal numerous times with no luck.. Every reinstall, the last received and transmitted pictures come up on the RX and TX screens.

      So, there's a file folder somewhere, I think I need to delete or something.. It would appear that something is stuck somewhere..
      But I cannot find the file as shown above..

      I'm running Windows Vista Home Basic c 2007 Service Pack 2. This on an e machines ET1810 running a Celeron CPU 1.6G with 4GB memory.

      All my other programs seem to be working fine...

      I routinely install all the Windows updates as they are available.. I also upgraded from ie 8 to 9. (By mistake, I didn't mean to accept it).

      So, I'm at my wit's end, I just can't get this straightened out.. Anyone have any suggestions?

      Thanks,
      73! Bill AB9TA
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 10 5:55 AM
        uninstall completely with uninstall , then go and make sure its all gone,, then use a regestry cleaner, after shut computer down, restart and reinstall.. what version are you trying to install the 06 or the beta???

        Garrett / AA0OI

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 10 8:57 AM
          Bill:
          It looks like EasyPal was installed while the user logged in to Windows was "Alyssa," and so the Documents and Settings/Alyssa folder was where it decided it would store user files. If you're not logged in as Alyssa, you may have no rights to those folders. Uninstalling and reinstalling, looking carefully at where it installs should work. There may be a way to change the default file locations, but I don't see an "options" or "preferences" action in the pull downs.

          Good luck,
          Rob K6RGI

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 11 12:29 AM
            Install as administrator. That tends to put stuff where multiple users
            cam share it. If EasyPal was written with Win 7/Vista in mind the data
            would end up in c:\programdata\easypal. And if this is done right the
            program can live safely and usefully in c:\program files (x86) (on
            64bit OSs. Leave off the " (x86)" for 32 bit OSs.)

            {^_^} W6MKU, Joanne

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 11 6:38 AM
              if all else fail contact Dave KB4YZ as he has a copy on his vista machine..

              Garrett / AA0OI

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 11 8:19 AM
                Installing as admin should solve most problems, however another thing
                that often helps overcome the win 7 foibles is NOT TO install under
                program files. This applies to any software you may have problems with,
                not just EasyPal.

                So if all else fails, try installing into c:/easypal

                Or whatever you want to call it...

                Andy

                On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 06:38:37 -0700 (PDT)
                AA0OI <aa0oi@...> wrote:

                > if all else fail contact Dave KB4YZ as he has a copy on his vista machine..
                >

                > Garrett / AA0OI
                >

                > ________________________________

              • ab9ta
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 16 7:44 PM
                  OK, thanks to everyone for all the suggestions..
                  I finally got it installed and working after a bit of a journey through my computer..
                  I had to:

                  -- Search for files and folders with "Easy", "Pal", and "EasyPal" and delete everything I found. It helps to set your file viewing preferences to show Hidden files!

                  -- Search for .png files, this is how I found the folder that the program was using to store the last picture viewed, etc.. This was causing my errors when trying to shut down the program.

                  -- I installed the program as Administrator, was smooth and easy.

                  -- I installed in the C:\Program Files folder as recommended by the install wizard, seems to be OK.

                  Luckily I didn't need to clean the registry, as I don't have a tool to do that.. But, I think it's something I need to do anyway..

                  Now when I get a little more time, I need to go back and fine tune the setup... But, glad it's back!!

                  Thanks Again,
                  73!
                  Bill AB9TA
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 16 8:35 PM
                    Hi Bill:
                    a very good registry cleaner ( it does more than resisterys) is Advanced Systemcare Pro..It will also clean all the junk out of your computer and has several tools to speed up your computer.. I have been using it for 7 years and it just keeps getting better.. Many of the guys on 7.173 have been using it as well..On sale you can cop for about 19.95 and otherwise about 29 to 39 bucks... you will find it well worth it... Just looked 19.95 for a year.. try for free for 30 days..here is the link

                    ALSO ! this one is VERY safe for your computer,, some registery cleaners will wipe out your registry and really screw you up..
                    ALWAYS do a back up first before you clean ( Advanced systemcare will prompt you and do it for you)
                    CUL
                    Garrett / AA0OI