Re: [digsstv] Re: EASYPAL DOES MORE THAN PICTURES

    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 17, 2012
      Dropbox is one of several file transfer services. You set it up with the
      necessary permissions, and you can upload files to it, and who you allow
      can download, Google docs can do much the same thing.

      all you need is some form of internet access, tethering to a cellphone
      service is one such way if away from landline/wifi access.

      https://www.dropbox.com/

      There is also dropbox for teams.

      You can also do much the same with your own ftp/web servers if you have
      that ability.

      Things like dropbox, google docs and so on are really useful for sharing
      data easily, and reasonably securely. Obviously it does not work in
      every situation, but if you cn use it, it's a lot faster than trying to
      punch a file cross a poor HF link.

      Andy

    • Bob N3PPH
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 17, 2012

        I use dropbox for backing up my logs and such, it does use the internet. Worst case scenarios might not be the norm but they happen. We were hit with hurricane Irene fairly hard and everything was offline, internet, phones cell phones and transportation with all of the trees down. Just south of me was so devastated that it was over a week before anything beyond ham radio could communicate. This was all done simplex as the repeaters were also knocked out. The worst case can happen in the real world and you do need to have a plan for that.

        73,

        Bob N3PPH

        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 17, 2012
          Hi Bob:
          well it must be your loacation,, I receive over 90 complettion on all pictures,, And,, apicture is worth a thousand words...
          south centeral Kentucky !

          Garrett / AA0OI

          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 17, 2012
            You need  to look into EasyPal again.. it has a drop box in it.. it is used around Australia alot and the local island down there..
            not used very much up here.. I still get around 90% of all transmittions and the rest I fill with BSR.. we also send small files of any type inclucing rar and zip.

            Garrett / AA0OI

            ymailto="mailto:digsstv%40yahoogroups.com">digsstv@yahoogroups.com
            > > > Subject: [digsstv] EASYPAL DOES MORE THAN PICTURES
            > > >

            > > > Hi, I'm new to the group. I've been looking into the capabilities of
            > > > EasyPal, and found that it does much more than just pictures. For
            > > example, I
            > > > can send a short message that I create right on the screen. I can send an
            > > > Excel file, a Word file, a Text file, and an ICS-213 (ARES version)
            > > message.
            > > > All this in addition to pictures.
            > > >
            > > > Is anyone using EasyPal for an all-around ARES tool? It sure looks like a
            > > > good choice. Add in normal voice communications, and Winmor for email,
            > > and
            > > > you're covered.
            > > >
            > > > Any
            comments would be appreciated.

            > > > 73,
            > > > ed - k9ew
            > > >

            > > > =======
            > > > Email scanned by PC Tools - No viruses or spyware found.
            > > > (Email Guard: 9.0.0.888, Virus/Spyware Database: 6.19480)
            > > > http://www.pctools.com <
            > > http://www.pctools.com/?cclick=EmailFooterClean_51>
            > > > =======
            > > >

            > > > =======
            > > > Email scanned by PC Tools - No viruses or spyware found.
            > > > (Email Guard: 9.0.0.888, Virus/Spyware
            Database: 6.19480)
            > > > http://www.pctools.com/
            > > > =======

          • D R Mynatt
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 17, 2012
              Yes to both; MMSSTV seems to get a picture no matter what the prop.  DTV/EasyPal is finicky but still a great product. If prop is reliable, do EasyPal but don't rely on it if you need reliability.

              Dave
              KA0SWT

              Use MMSSTV for pictures, a poor picture is better
              than no picture.

              Bob WD8PVB

              N/E Ohio - Ashtabula County - EN91np

              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 17, 2012
                All stations in good, close range and at 100w and it's really fantastic. I
                like it, use it and enjoy it. But I can see if the stations are in a
                drop-out zone, or the prop is disturbed by 'something', then maybe it isn't
                as good for 'low resolution- images as MMSTV. Nothings perfect and all
                situations differ, but MMSSTV, or some form of Fldigi is better for
                reliability.

                I get stations 1000 miles away really great -clean, clear, crisp. Stations
                100-600 miles away are iffy. Better antenna at my end needed?

                Dave
                KA0SWT

                =======
                http://www.pctools.com/
                =======

                =======
                http://www.pctools.com/
                =======
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 17, 2012
                  That's just the nature of HF.

                  You have the ground wave, then the sky wave and all the interactions
                  between them.

                  As the ionosphere changes, the angle that the signal bounces off
                  changes, so the "skip" distance changes. If your receiving antenna is
                  not on the skip distance the the signal level will change.

                  At times the signal will fade in and out in seconds - Lots of wavy
                  stripes on the waterfall as the signal fades and comes up again.

                  If you have a database of a large number of contacts on the same
                  antenna and same band, if you plot them on a map you may see lines of
                  contacts form, each separated by the skip distance for a particular
                  time.

                  A different antenna may help in some cases, depending on how the signal
                  is being received. Low radiation angles give bigger skip distances,
                  higher angles give shorter skip. Unfortunately you have two antennas to
                  deal with, one at each station. if the signal is not hitting your QTH,
                  then there is not a lot you can do about it.

                  The problem with fldigi, MMSSTV is that the transmission is lossy, so
                  you cant send files with it, but it's fine for basic images and textx
                  providing you can cope with the odd error.

                  (I wonder how well MMSSTV could cope with something like a QR graphic
                  code)

                  Andy

                • Andre
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 17, 2012
                    Op 17-3-2012 22:12, Andy Eskelson schreef:
                      The problem with fldigi, MMSSTV is that the transmission is lossy, so

                    you cant send files with it, but it's fine for basic images and textx
                    providing you can cope with the odd error.

                    (I wonder how well MMSSTV could cope with something like a QR graphic
                    code)

                    Andy

                    Actualy fldigi has 2 addons to send error free files, flwrap for one to many and flarq for one to one.
                    flwrap could benifit from splitting up in segments and a way to request and resend bad blocks like easypal but maybe that will come if requested enough, when that is done mt63 could make a new dsstv mode.

                    73 Andre PE1RDW
                  • Ed - K9EW
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 17, 2012
                      Thanks for the explanation, Andy.

                      73,
                      ed - k9ew

                      Ed - K9EW <k9ew57@...> wrote:

> [...]

                      > > > is to repeat the tests, throwing in attenuation on the signal until
                      > > errors
                      > > > start to show up. I know you can request a BSR (Bad Segment Request) for
                      > > > pictures, but I don't know if that works for the other types of messages.
                      > > > Requesting a "fill" isn't too bad - if it doesn't happen frequently. I'm
                      > > > sure a field test would be worthwhile as well. Then we'll have to
                      > > consider
                      > > > HF operation.
                      > > >
                      > > > If you create a Word document and save it as a .doc file, you can then
                      > > > transmit the binary file with EasyPal. This retains all the formatting.
                      > > > Same thing with Excel, and it's like opening up the file on your computer
                      > > > at the receiving end. Column width, formatting, even embedded operations
                      > > > are all intact.
                      > > >
                      > > > Thanks again for the information and the quick reply.

                    • Duane Fruechte

                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 17, 2012
                          It has a Drop Box?  Please explain how to access it if you will. I'm interested :-)

                          Dave
                          KA0SWT

                          Ed - K9EW <k9ew57@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Charles,
                          >
                          > That's the kind of information
                          I'm looking for.

                          > I've run base-to-base tests on 2m of the
                          different types of messages that I
                          > mentioned in my posting. They all
                          worked great. The next thing on my list
                          > is to repeat the tests, throwing
                          in attenuation on the signal until errors
                          > start to show up. I know you
                          can request a BSR (Bad Segment Request) for
                          > pictures, but I don't know
                          if that works for the other types of messages.
                          > Requesting a "fill" isn't
                          too bad - if it doesn't happen frequently. I'm
                          > sure a field test would
                          be worthwhile as well. Then we'll have to consider
                          > HF operation.
                          >
                          > If you create a Word document and save it as a .doc file, you can
                          then
                          > transmit the binary file with EasyPal. This retains all the
                          formatting.
                          > Same thing with Excel, and it's like opening up the file on
                          your computer
                          > at the receiving end. Column width, formatting, even
                          embedded operations
                          > are all intact.
                          >
                          > Thanks again for
                          the information and the quick reply.

                          > 73,
                          > ed -
                          k9ew

                          > On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 5:34 AM, Charles Locke
                          <lockec@...>wrote:

                          > > **
                          > >

                          > > We've been using it for
                          our local ARES and CERT groups with high success
                          > > for the last
                          couple of years. Try it over VHF and UHF FM through your local

                          repeater or simplex, it works like a champ. It sends the hi def pictures we
                          > > all know about plus you can attach a printer/scanner to your
                          computer and
                          > > simply scan the message and send it to the receiving
                          station. Not much room
                          > > for error here. You can use the forms in the
                          program or create your own in
                          > > Word or Excel, just save as a txt
                          file. It's pretty nuch become the primary
                          > > tool for our local
                          needs.

                          href="mailto:digsstv%40yahoogroups.com" rel=nofollow target=_blank ymailto="mailto:digsstv%40yahoogroups.com">digsstv@yahoogroups.com [mailto:digsstv@yahoogroups.com] On
                          > > Behalf Of
                          > > > Bob N3PPH
                          > > > Sent:
                          Friday, March 16, 2012 10:08 PM
                          > > > To:
                          href="mailto:digsstv%40yahoogroups.com" rel=nofollow target=_blank ymailto="mailto:digsstv%40yahoogroups.com">digsstv@yahoogroups.com
                          > > > Subject: RE: [digsstv] EASYPAL DOES MORE THAN PICTURES
                          > > >

                          > > > I personally think that the strength of signal required
                          for a completed
                          > > > transmission makes it too resource hungry for
                          reliable EMCOMM. I get more
                          > > > fails than good pictures here
                          unless it is a very strong signal. Using
                          > > other

                          data modes for passing files seems much more reliable.

                          > > > 73,
                          > > >
                          > > > Bob N3PPH
                          > > >

                          > > > From:
                          target=_blank ymailto="mailto:digsstv%40yahoogroups.com">digsstv@yahoogroups.com [mailto:digsstv@yahoogroups.com] On
                          > > Behalf Of
                          > > > ed_worst
                          > > > Sent:
                          Friday, March 16, 2012 6:42 PM
                          > > > To:
                          href="mailto:digsstv%40yahoogroups.com" rel=nofollow target=_blank ymailto="mailto:digsstv%40yahoogroups.com">digsstv@yahoogroups.com
                          > > > Subject: [digsstv] EASYPAL DOES MORE THAN PICTURES
                          > > >

                          > > > Hi, I'm new to the group. I've been looking into the
                          capabilities of
                          > > > EasyPal, and found that it does much more than
                          just pictures. For
                          > > example, I
                          > > > can send a short
                          message that I create right on the screen. I can send an
                          > > > Excel
                          file, a Word file, a Text file, and an ICS-213 (ARES version)

                          message.
                          > > > All this in addition to pictures.
                          > > >
                          > > > Is anyone using EasyPal for an all-around ARES tool? It
                          sure looks like a
                          > > > good choice. Add in normal voice
                          communications, and Winmor for email,
                          > > and