Re: [digsstv] Re: New Easypal 28th Jan 2012

    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 30, 2012
      Might it be setup for tune at full power and Tx at the proper power such that
      peaks are not clipped? If so this is a very wise change on Erik's part.

      {^_^} Joanne, W6MKU

      On 2012/01/30 06:39, SV1UY wrote:
      > Hi again,
      >
      > There is also a volume difference between TUNE and TX buttons. TUNE is much lower than TX and I always have to adjust my Volume in the soundcard!
      >
      > Using Windows 7 SP1 (64bit) here.
      >
      > 73 de Demetre SV1UY
      >>
      >> --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, Murry B<murraybr@> wrote:
      >>>

      >>> I find I have to increase my soundcard input a fair bit with this new
      >>> version to maintain the same rx signal level. Is this just me?
      >>>
      >>> VE9MB

    • SV1UY
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 1 11:07 PM
        --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, jdow <jdow@...> wrote:

        > Might it be setup for tune at full power and Tx at the proper power such that
        > peaks are not clipped? If so this is a very wise change on Erik's part.
        >
        > {^_^} Joanne, W6MKU

        You might be right OM, Perhaps Erik can tell us?

        73 de Demetre SV1UY
      • D R Mynatt
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 2 4:17 PM
          All I can say is that this is VERY sensitive to frequency drift and seems to
          work (reliably) only when spot-on frequency. It is not a very forgiving
          system. Wish there was a way the software could adjust for up to 200-300Hz
          off freq...

          Dave
          KA0SWT

          > Might it be setup for tune at full power and Tx at the proper power
          > such that peaks are not clipped? If so this is a very wise change on
          Erik's part.

          > {^_^} Joanne, W6MKU

          You might be right OM, Perhaps Erik can tell us?

          73 de Demetre SV1UY

        • vk4aes
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 2 9:30 PM
            Hi Dave,

            Just check "sound effects" have been turned off on the soundcard.

            EasyPal is very forgiving with off tuning.
            When receiving, two vertical lines can be seen on either side of the green tuning marks, and towards the edges.

            The signal should be almost exactly between these lines.
            These lines show the capture area for decoding. If some of the carriers are outside these lines, then the more gives more errors.
            200 to 300 mistuning should be no problem in reasonable conditions. This means the tuning lines are way off the green marks and a lock on is still possible.
            The audio levels are also very forgiving.

            If full lock on is still difficult then it indicates distortion either at the TX or the RX end or both.

            By the way regarding the low level for the tune function.
            Most of the wav files in the /programwavfiles/ folder are reduced in amplitude. This was to safeguard some linears which got quite a jolt if the volume was too high. I set these on the light side.
            However, if the user makes a wav file, the user may choose the volume level to be best for his system.

            The tuning wav file is in the /programwavfiles/ folder and called "tune.wav". A user may replace or change this to a different level if desired as with all the others.

            But to be useful, the level has been set low.
            Any distortion will show as vertical line images on the display.
            The distortion can be caused by the TX or at the RX end.
            If the RX end is perfect, then multiple lines on the display suggests TX distortion. Setting this file to a low level helps in this regard as Joanne suggests.

            Erik VK4AES

            --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, "D R Mynatt" <dave@...> wrote:

            > All I can say is that this is VERY sensitive to frequency drift and seems to
            > work (reliably) only when spot-on frequency. It is not a very forgiving
            > system. Wish there was a way the software could adjust for up to 200-300Hz
            > off freq...
            >
            > Dave
            > KA0SWT

          • D R Mynatt
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 2 9:43 PM
              Hi Erik-

              I get the two markers, and I cannot find any 'effects' for the sound cards
              anywhere so I assume it doesn't have any. My signals are not outside the
              two side boundary markers but they appear a few ticks off the frequency
              markets, typically a bit higher. I have to fuss around with the RIT to get
              it to decode all the way.

              It is volume sensitive for sure, and in my case the least amount of volume
              -either at the radio or the sound card adjustment- is critical. So I keep it
              almost imperceptible to hear. I don't see any vertical lines in any of the
              received images so far.

              I will try the Tuning wav file to see what I get.

              I appreciate your time. If you are the coder, then let me say this is a
              very beautiful piece of coding work.

              Dave
              KA0SWT

              Just check "sound effects" have been turned off on the soundcard.

              EasyPal is very forgiving with off tuning.
              When receiving, two vertical lines can be seen on either side of the green
              tuning marks, and towards the edges.

              The signal should be almost exactly between these lines.
              These lines show the capture area for decoding. If some of the carriers are
              outside these lines, then the more gives more errors.
              200 to 300 mistuning should be no problem in reasonable conditions. This
              means the tuning lines are way off the green marks and a lock on is still
              possible.
              The audio levels are also very forgiving.

              If full lock on is still difficult then it indicates distortion either at
              the TX or the RX end or both.

              By the way regarding the low level for the tune function.
              Most of the wav files in the /programwavfiles/ folder are reduced in
              amplitude. This was to safeguard some linears which got quite a jolt if the
              volume was too high. I set these on the light side.
              However, if the user makes a wav file, the user may choose the volume level
              to be best for his system.

              The tuning wav file is in the /programwavfiles/ folder and called
              "tune.wav". A user may replace or change this to a different level if
              desired as with all the others.

              But to be useful, the level has been set low.
              Any distortion will show as vertical line images on the display.
              The distortion can be caused by the TX or at the RX end.
              If the RX end is perfect, then multiple lines on the display suggests TX
              distortion. Setting this file to a low level helps in this regard as Joanne
              suggests.

              Erik VK4AES

              --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, "D R Mynatt" <dave@...> wrote:

              > All I can say is that this is VERY sensitive to frequency drift and
              > seems to work (reliably) only when spot-on frequency. It is not a very
              > forgiving system. Wish there was a way the software could adjust for
              > up to 200-300Hz off freq...
              >
              > Dave
              > KA0SWT

            • vk4aes
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 3 1:19 PM
                Hi Dave,

                Do you have a live microphone during TX?
                The lines I refer too are extra tuning lines on the RX waterfall.

                Erik

              • D R Mynatt
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 3 1:24 PM
                  No microphone, no Microsoft sounds... Something must be bleeding across.
                  I'm using a SignaLink and have a speaker tied into it... Could the speaker
                  be the problem?

                  Do you have a live microphone during TX?
                  The lines I refer too are extra tuning lines on the RX waterfall.

                  Erik

                  --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, "D R Mynatt" <dave@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Erik-
                  >
                  > I get the two markers, and I cannot find any 'effects' for the sound
                  > cards anywhere so I assume it doesn't have any. My signals are not
                  > outside the two side boundary markers but they appear a few ticks off
                  > the frequency markets, typically a bit higher. I have to fuss around
                  > with the RIT to get it to decode all the way.
                  >
                  > It is volume sensitive for sure, and in my case the least amount of
                  > volume -either at the radio or the sound card adjustment- is critical.
                  > So I keep it almost imperceptible to hear. I don't see any vertical
                  > lines in any of the received images so far.
                  >
                  > I will try the Tuning wav file to see what I get.
                  >
                  > I appreciate your time. If you are the coder, then let me say this is
                  > a very beautiful piece of coding work.
                  >
                  > Dave
                  > KA0SWT

                • vk4aes
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 3 4:24 PM
                    Hi Mike,

                    It could be the speaker.

                    For least distortion it is best not to use the speaker audio or microphone input.

                    It audio output in and out is availabe from the accessory socket, then use that.

                    Using the accessory audio can sometimes cause problems when using FM as there may be no pre-emphasis or de-emphasis of the audio.
                    This will increase the error rate and the waterfall may look lopsided when recieved on FM. But it is preferred for SSB where it should be flat.

                    Try getting the audio without the speaker in parallel to see if that is the problem or it helps.

                    Of course there are many other ways distortion can be introduced.

                    Erik