Re: [digsstv] EasyPal and Win7 Installation

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 2, 2012
      That's strange. That would mean if there was no speaker for the system
      sounds it would pack in. There is almost never something plugged into
      the microphone. Yet the PCs don't pack it in, even if you play with
      Microsoft's silly record toy.

      A jack with a 1k resistor to ground on both speaker and microphone should
      do no damage and give not even hum to provide a signal. It'd be interesting
      to see if that allows EasyPal to run. If it does I'd be interested in
      finding out what you're doing that's so fragile. You might have figured out
      how to do something that is useful. (I am intrigued at an error 0xe0msc.
      That looks like a really strange buffer overwrite or something.)

      {o.o} Joanne, W6MKU

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 2, 2012
        A quick search suggests this is a message associated with a broken install of
        NET 2.0, "Invalid or corrupt installation of .Net 2.0 Framework."

        "The following runtime error will occur when the .NET 2.0 version of mscorwks
        tries to use the 1.1 version of mscoree 1.1.

        "ERROR_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xe06d7363 - <Unable to get error code text>"

        Supposedly the resolution is to uninstall and then install Net 2.0 Framework.

        It also might be associated with calling the Win32 SEH APIs.

        In this case the cause is declared to be "All Visual C++ exceptions thrown
        from code generated by the Microsoft Visual C++ compiler contain this error
        code. Because this is a compiler-generated error, the code is not listed in
        the Win32 API header files. The code is actually a cryptic mnemonic device,
        with the initial "E" standing for "exception" and the final 3 bytes
        (0x6D7363) representing the ASCII values of "msc"."

        The resolution is for the developer:
        ===8<---
        To properly handle the error, you need to wrap the offending code in a
        try...catch block. This allows the developer to identify the actual Visual C++
        exception that was thrown.

        While debugging an application with Microsoft Visual Studio, you can halt the
        program immediately when this exception occurs, before any handler code is
        invoked. This gives you a chance to view the offending statement and fix the
        exception yourself by modifying the variable contents, thereby avoiding an
        unwind. To set how the debugger handles this exception, follow these steps:

        Start debugging your application.
        From the Debug menu, click Exceptions.
        Within the Exceptions dialog box, select error 0xE06D7363.
        Change the value of Action from Stop if not handled to Stop alwaya.
        ===8<---

        I suspect this latter case is more to the point. I'm still intrigued at an
        error that is solved by merely plugging something in to audio cards. It
        sounds like a possible divide by zero error of some sort. With any kind of
        noise the "zero" does not happen.

        {o.o}

        On 2012/01/02 09:36, Paul Young wrote:

        > *You will find with some sound cards you need to have*
        > *anything plugged into them, I don’t think its good idea to *
        > *plug anything shorted into your sound card.*
        > *On one of my PC’s here EasyPal will not run with nothing*
        > *in the sound card, my other PC is fine.*
        > **
        > *Paul*

      • Charles Locke
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 2, 2012
          Having the same issue with my 64 bit windows 7. It has ran fine in the past
          then after loading a new version of EasyPal about 6 months ago I got this
          same error. It runs fine on my 32 bit Windows 7 laptop along with my other
          Vista 64 bit desktop. About 3 weeks ago I lost a hard drive on this machine
          which I replaced and loaded Vista from my rescue CD, then Windows 7 upgrade.
          Thought since I'm back with hardly anything on the machine, I would load the
          latest version of EasyPal and be back in business.......same error code. I'm
          really interested on what you find since I am fairly limited on computers.

[...]

          From the Debug menu, click Exceptions.
          Within the Exceptions dialog box, select error 0xE06D7363.
          Change the value of Action from Stop if not handled to Stop alwaya.
          ===8<---

          I suspect this latter case is more to the point. I'm still intrigued at an
          error that is solved by merely plugging something in to audio cards. It
          sounds like a possible divide by zero error of some sort. With any kind of
          noise the "zero" does not happen.

          {o.o}

          On 2012/01/02 09:36, Paul Young wrote:

          > *You will find with some sound cards you need to have*
          > *anything plugged into them, I don’t think its good idea to *
          > *plug anything shorted into your sound card.*
          > *On one of my PC’s here EasyPal will not run with nothing*
          > *in the sound card, my other PC is fine.*
          > **
          > *Paul*

          -----
          No virus found in this message.
        • kmilr
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 3, 2012
            After removing the EasyPal from my WIN7 installation, I installed the Nov Beta version and this time I paid attention to what directory the installer was putting the main program in. It became necessary to change the default location from 'Program Files' to 'Program Files(x86)'. That solved the problem and my EasyPal is working just fine. Thanks to all who responded!
            73,
            Keith Miller - AGØH