Inital and Exit string

  • jevacuum
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 13, 2011
      in (set up/soundcard PTT/use comport) what can the Inital and Exit strings be used for. I treid turning the mike on/off on Orion II and did not get the correct results. When going to TX the Mike did turn off but nothing else happened. With out the Mike commands all works OK.

      Eric K9NP
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 14, 2011
        They enable you to send specific commands to the equipment.

        i.e. if you use an ICOM rig, then setting to mode to SSB-D (data mode)
        will mute the normal mic input. If you leave it at standard SSB then the
        mic is live.

        So you could send the necessary C-IV commands to switch mode to SSB-D
        using the initial string, then switch back to standard SSB using the exit
        string.

        Andy

        On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 22:05:10 -0000
        "jevacuum" <ericjackiewick@...> wrote:

        > in (set up/soundcard PTT/use comport) what can the Inital and Exit strings be used for. I treid turning the mike on/off on Orion II and did not get the correct results. When going to TX the Mike did turn off but nothing else happened. With out the Mike commands all works OK.
        >
        > Eric K9NP

      • jevacuum
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 14, 2011
          Thanks Andy,

          So the strings can change the status of the rig. So, I must be doing something wrong. For the intial string I use the code to turn the Mike volume to zero. For the exit string I use the code to turn the Mike back to 10. These codes, TM0 and TM10, came from the Orion manual converted to ASC II.

          the codes converted are: 2A544D30OD and 2A544D3130OD

          What happens when the progran goes in to TX is the the mike gain goes to zero but the rig does not go to TX.

          After the picture is sent, the Mike gain stays at zero.

          I must admit that I have not worked with these codes before.

          Eric K9NP

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 14, 2011
            Eric,

            My ascii chart shows :

            TM10
            54 4D 31 30

            TM0
            54 4D 30

            So that agrees and looks fine, you seem to have put a star (*) as the
            first character and terminated the string with 0D (carriage return)

            If that is the format then fair enough

            --later--

            I've just grabbed a copy of the orion programmers guide, and it looks
            like * = set so that's fine.

            Using the TM command, you are setting the mic gain to
            zero with TM0 but then setting it to just 10% with TM10. The command is
            TM<val> where val is 0 to 100 percent of the level you want.
            So unless you really are running your mic gain at 10% then that might
            need looking at.

            What I've done in the past is simply use a terminal program and manually
            type in the commands to see what happens. (I normally use teraterm for
            this) once I get something working, I can then usually work out what the
            format is for the various commands, and it also confirms the correct data
            rates and so on. It looks like Orion uses 57.6K 8bits no parity...

            Andy

            On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 16:27:59 -0000
            "jevacuum" <ericjackiewick@...> wrote:

            > Thanks Andy,
            >
            > So the strings can change the status of the rig. So, I must be doing something wrong. For the intial string I use the code to turn the Mike volume to zero. For the exit string I use the code to turn the Mike back to 10. These codes, TM0 and TM10, came from the Orion manual converted to ASC II.
            >
            > the codes converted are: 2A544D30OD and 2A544D3130OD
            >
            > What happens when the progran goes in to TX is the the mike gain goes to zero but the rig does not go to TX.
            >
            > After the picture is sent, the Mike gain stays at zero.
            >
            > I must admit that I have not worked with these codes before.
            >
            > Eric K9NP
            >

            > --- In dsigsstv@yahoogroups.com, Andy Eskelson <andyyahoo@...> wrote:
            > >

            > > They enable you to send specific commands to the equipment.
            > >
            > > i.e. if you use an ICOM rig, then setting to mode to SSB-D (data mode)
            > > will mute the normal mic input. If you leave it at standard SSB then the
            > > mic is live.
            > >
            > > So you could send the necessary C-IV commands to switch mode to SSB-D
            > > using the initial string, then switch back to standard SSB using the exit
            > > string.
            > >
            > > Andy
            > >

            > > On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 22:05:10 -0000
            > > "jevacuum" <ericjackiewick@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > > in (set up/soundcard PTT/use comport) what can the Inital and Exit strings be used for. I treid turning the mike on/off on Orion II and did not get the correct results. When going to TX the Mike did turn off but nothing else happened. With out the Mike commands all works OK.
            > > >
            > > > Eric K9NP

          • jevacuum
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 15, 2011
              Thanks again Andy,

              Your last showed me my error, I was using od as the carrage return instead of 0d. (lower case used to show the mistake). If I was more familar with the ASC II code I would have not made that mistake. All works now.

              Eric K9NP

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 15, 2011
                Glad you spotted the problem...

                Back when a zero used to have a slash through it, you still made some
                mistakes but not so often.

                The worst one for me is the proximity of the o and 0 keys, the number of
                times I've mistyped my callsign... G0POY ... GoPOY - I've lost count
                of :-)

                Andy

                On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 18:51:23 -0000