Latest EasyPal ** BETA ** 03 September 2011

  • Paul-G0HWC
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 3, 2011
      The latest *** BETA *** Easypal 03 Sept 2011

      This is for testing only

      Installation with user rights. Read installer message
      when installing. Better stability and security

      Latest news and Software links to Digital & Analogue SSTV:
      http://www.g0hwc.com/sstv_drm_news.html

      SSTV / DRM Chat:
      http://www.g0hwc.com/chat.html

      SSTV Forum
      http://truckcam.tv/yabb/YaBB.pl

      Paul G0HWC
    • John Yost
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 3, 2011
        I am getting a msg box saying "Invalid File Name" and then it just sits at the hourglass/wait display until I kill it.

        Runing Win7 64 bit.  Tried installing in c:\, c:\Program Files and c:\Program Files(x86); same result

        John
        K3YJP

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 3, 2011

          Working fine for me on two computers, XP and Win 7 32 bit. Accepted all defaults during install and it installed in c:\ on both computers.

          Jerry
          W3JJJ

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 3, 2011
            Hi John:
            Delete all instances of EasyPal and do a new download. and try a fresh install...I run 64 bit and put it in the x86 folder. No problem here, but then I have never had a problem with any of them !!  Also you could do a registry clean in between the delete and new install.. more  than one instance of EasyPal will cause problems on the install.

            Garrett / AA0OI

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 3, 2011
              Thanks for the help Garrett but no joy.

              Removed all reference to Eaypal - only one instance but searched just in case. Cleaned the registry and rebooted.
              Tried each directory again doing a reg clean and reboot after each uninstall as well as deleting the Easypal directory.
              First time I've had a problem.
              John
              K3YJP

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 3, 2011
                I don't knnow if you saw or he sent this to yoou but ERIC sent this to me..

                Hi Garrett,

                I just saw the problem John K3YJP was having with the install of the latest EasyPal.
                It looks like a bit more work to do with restricted user rights at this end.

                In the meantime:
                He might like to give users full control of the EasyPal “application” folder and the “application data” folders.
                Do this with the security settings.

                Erik

                Hope this helps..

                Garrett / AA0OI

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 3, 2011
                  For some reason this ended up in my spam folder.

                  Anyway, I posted(typed) the wrong error message. The message says "Invalid Filename"  Helps if ya report the correct problem.

                  In the mean time Jerry(W3JJJ) sent a copy of his directory structure and it has shed some light - although dim:-)

                  In Jerry's install the directory c:\users\Jerry\AppData\Roaming...in my install they went to c:\users\John\Application Data\.  My user directory is John.Radioii
                  I don't remember why is installed that way been a while since the win7 install.  Tried moving the directory to the John.radioii but no help either.

                  I am an administrator and tried running the install with the "Run as Administrator" command.

                  I am going to try setting up another user and see if that makes a difference.

                  tnx for everyone's help
                  John
                  K3YJP

                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 3, 2011
                    Creating a new user without the extension made it work.  Easypal installed as it should.

                    I believe the userid John.radioii came about because I had to do an update install for some reason and it since John already existed it "helped" me out by adding the computer name to the userid to make it unique.

                    So Easypal is working again, just not where I would like to have it.

                    John
                    K3YJP

                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 4, 2011
                      The necessary adaptations for Win7 have not been put into EasyPal.
                      The work around is to install it in a folder inside a "Goofy Programs"
                      folder you create in the root of the C drive or on any other drive.

                      (The "usual" is to simply install it in the root of the C drive. That
                      thought sets my teeth on edge.)

                      {^_^} Joanne, W6MKU

                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 4, 2011
                        Nevermind....
                        {^_-}

                        On 2011/09/04 01:38, jdow wrote:
                        > The necessary adaptations for Win7 have not been put into EasyPal.
                        > The work around is to install it in a folder inside a "Goofy Programs"
                        > folder you create in the root of the C drive or on any other drive.
                        >
                        > (The "usual" is to simply install it in the root of the C drive. That
                        > thought sets my teeth on edge.)
                        >
                        > {^_^} Joanne, W6MKU
                        >
                        > On 2011/09/03 13:19, Jerry Johnson wrote:
                        >>

                        >> Working fine for me on two computers, XP and Win 7 32 bit. Accepted all defaults
                        >> during install and it installed in c:\ on both computers.
                        >> Jerry
                        >> W3JJJ

                      • eriksradio
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 4, 2011
                          Information on latest Easypal beta test version.

                          EasyPal may be installed into a directory of choice; the "\programs files\" directory is recommended as standard practice.

                          User Data is now stored in the "\application data\" folders.

                          After installation, the application folder will contain "EasyPal.exe" and several runtime files only. All the rest are in the users application data folders.

                          To conform to the usual security standards, the user has limited rights to the application folder. Read and execute only allowed.

                          The user will have modify priviliges in the application data folder; read, write, execute and delete but cannot change the security settings.

                          These settings can only be changed by a user with administrator priviliges.

                          If the administrator changes the rights in an Easypal folder, EasyPal will have to be reinstalled to reset the designed priviliges.

                          EasyPal may be installed on any drive, but the users application data will always be stored on the windows drive.

                          The uninstall000.exe in the application folder will uninstall EasyPal by deleting all the files that were installed by the installer and any empty directories. It will not destroy any user data.

                          The uninstall will also delete information to the installer. So be careful where the installer might wish to install Easypal and the other settings will have to be reset also.

                          If EasyPal is installed over the top of an old installation, it will take no notice of the files in the old installation. It will behave as if it is in its own new directory. It will not destroy any user data.
                          The older version may be reinstalled and made back to original if desired.

                          It is recommended that Easypal be installed into its own new directory. The user may copy files in an old installation over to the appropriate folders in the users application data. It will then run as before.

                          The application data folders are located

                          W7 Vista windowsdrive\users\{username)\appdata\roaming\Easypal

                          XP windowsdrive\documents and settings\(username)\application data\EasyPal

                          Please report any problems.

                          Erik VK4AES

                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 4, 2011
                            For Win7 64 bits I'd recommend using the "C:\Program Files (x86)"
                            directory. That would keep it happier with the x32 components, unless
                            you have it compiled x64 now. Let it go where Windows wants to put it.

                            Now, WHICH "Application Data" folder? For windows 7 there is a
                            define you should use to get the users "appdata" directory and the
                            correct profile under it. (Nominally the "Roaming" profile.)

                            You should not have to modify the privileges at all if you do it right.

                            "C:\Program Data" is available to everybody. It is for programs that have
                            global data for all users. The "C:\Users\<username>" directory has all
                            privs set for the specific users. The "C:\Users\<username>\appData"
                            directory is hidden. It's open for all privs for the user, also.

                            The environment value "APPDATA" is usable with all versions. In Win 7
                            it points to "APPDATA=C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming". That is
                            probably where you should put the program's data. Create a folder for
                            it and Bob's your uncle. (Create the folder with default privileges
                            for the user.) "getenv()" is your friend in C language.

                            Note that "Application Data" is a directory you should not touch. It is
                            specifically not accessible to the user in Windows 7, which is a little
                            confusing. But I've found it's best not to mess with it. In Win 7 it is
                            reserved as a system tool regardless of the privileges set on it. Messing
                            with UAC can leave you with a system that has no security very easily.

                            {o.o} Joanne, W6MKU