Soundcard Calibration ?

  • SV1UY
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 4 12:16 PM
      Hi all,

      I guess we need to calibrate our SoundCard for optimum use in EasyPAL. I se that there is a calibration screen on Setup, Waterfall OPTIONS, but it mentions only WWV calibration and here in Greece I can only get a good signal of RWM from Moscow. I tried WWV but all I get is BPM on 10000 KHZ.

      How have you calibrate your Soundcard if you live in Europe?

      73 de Demetre SV1UY
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 4 12:46 PM
        In the past I have used RWM on various bands to set up SSTV slant correction, in the same way as for WWV.  If I remember, I had to wait for the correct part of the transmitted signal mode, but the system using the two spots in the waterfall was exactly the same...

        Dave (G0DJA)

        I guess we need to calibrate our SoundCard for optimum use in EasyPAL. I se that there is a calibration screen on Setup, Waterfall OPTIONS, but it mentions only WWV calibration and here in Greece I can only get a good signal of RWM from Moscow. I tried WWV but all I get is BPM on 10000 KHZ.

        How have you calibrate your Soundcard if you live in Europe?

        73 de Demetre SV1UY

      • Siegfried Jackstien
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 4 2:00 PM
          As far as i know any time transmitter will work ... even with dcf 77 it
          should be possible I think
          Greetz
          Sigi
          Dg9bfc

          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 4 2:14 PM
            I always use MSF for slant correction / cal. of soundcards. It works very
            easily. DCF will work just as well.

            Andy

            On Thu, 4 Aug 2011 21:00:46 -0000
            "Siegfried Jackstien" <siegfried.jackstien@...> wrote:

            > As far as i know any time transmitter will work ... even with dcf 77 it
            > should be possible I think
            > Greetz
            > Sigi
            > Dg9bfc

          • SV1UY
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 12 10:05 AM
              Hi Andy and group,

              Can you please let me know the procedure because the program and a PDF I found say that we should receive WWV in AM mode and all the Time stations I can receive here need some sort of carrier, i.e. USB or LSB.

              So I wonder how do I go on about it. I have calibrated all my other SSTV programs with RWM that needs USB or LSB and all is FB but htese other programs have different procedures.

              Now SSTV repors that my SB Live 24 soundcard is off by 53ppm and since I adjusted it it receives perfect pictures. ALso the same with my ChromaPIX, but these of course can only receive analogue SSTV pics.

              Any info would be much appreciated.

              73 de Demetre SV1UY

              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 12 10:12 AM
                I've always used ssb.

                What matters is that you receive an accurate time pulse, the tome or
                frequency do not matter

                set the mode to ssb and then tune to get the trace in the middle of the
                screen somewhere (I usually use MMSSTV) after a while you can then draw a
                line along the edges of the pulse which will calculate the correction
                factor. I usually repeat the process to see if I can get it better,
                especially if the sound card is a long way off freq.

                I make a note of the offset which I can then use in other programs if they
                don't have similar tuning functions.

                Andy

                On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 17:05:16 -0000
                "SV1UY" <sv1uy@...> wrote:

                > Hi Andy and group,
                >
                > Can you please let me know the procedure because the program and a PDF I found say that we should receive WWV in AM mode and all the Time stations I can receive here need some sort of carrier, i.e. USB or LSB.
                >
                > So I wonder how do I go on about it. I have calibrated all my other SSTV programs with RWM that needs USB or LSB and all is FB but htese other programs have different procedures.
                >
                > Now SSTV repors that my SB Live 24 soundcard is off by 53ppm and since I adjusted it it receives perfect pictures. ALso the same with my ChromaPIX, but these of course can only receive analogue SSTV pics.
                >
                > Any info would be much appreciated.
                >
                > 73 de Demetre SV1UY
                >
                > --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, Andy Eskelson <andyyahoo@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > I always use MSF for slant correction / cal. of soundcards. It works very
                > > easily. DCF will work just as well.
                > >

                > > Andy

              • SV1UY
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 12 11:19 AM
                  --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, Andy Eskelson <andyyahoo@...> wrote:

                  > I've always used ssb.
                  >
                  > What matters is that you receive an accurate time pulse, the tome or
                  > frequency do not matter
                  >
                  > set the mode to ssb and then tune to get the trace in the middle of the
                  > screen somewhere (I usually use MMSSTV) after a while you can then draw a
                  > line along the edges of the pulse which will calculate the correction
                  > factor. I usually repeat the process to see if I can get it better,
                  > especially if the sound card is a long way off freq.
                  >
                  > I make a note of the offset which I can then use in other programs if they
                  > don't have similar tuning functions.
                  >

                  > Andy

                  OK Andy,

                  Thanks for reply but how do you calibrate EasyPAL? They say that you should use an AM signal, put the ticks in a yellow line under 500 HZ and then there should be another two tones which have to line up to 500 and 600HZ yellow lines. This is in setup, waterfall options, wwv calibration.

                  73 de Demetre SV1UY
                • Per Bekker-Madsen
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 12 11:38 AM
                    Hi Demetry

                    I have just calibtaed my soundcard, and it works fine, but I did only have the three lines on 15.000.000 AM was only one line on 10.000MHz.
                    But it works, you need AM, and you can see the 3 lines in the display.

                    Please send me your email adress and I will do a screan dump so you can see how it should look like :-)

                    Kind regards

                    Per  OZ1EQC/OV2V

                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 12 11:38 AM
                      Use mail adress:   per@... :-)

                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 12 2:30 PM
                        So far I have not found a way to do this on easypal

                        WWV is totally useless - I've never received it clearly enough to hear
                        tones of any sort, and that's during nearly 40 years of
                        listening/operating :-) The ticks are OK but that's about all.

                        Perhaps there is a setup file somewhere, where the soundcard osc
                        frequency offset can be entered. If there is, I've never found it.

                        Andy

                        On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 18:19:15 -0000
                        "SV1UY" <sv1uy@...> wrote:

                        > --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, Andy Eskelson <andyyahoo@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I've always used ssb.
                        > >
                        > > What matters is that you receive an accurate time pulse, the tome or
                        > > frequency do not matter
                        > >
                        > > set the mode to ssb and then tune to get the trace in the middle of the
                        > > screen somewhere (I usually use MMSSTV) after a while you can then draw a
                        > > line along the edges of the pulse which will calculate the correction
                        > > factor. I usually repeat the process to see if I can get it better,
                        > > especially if the sound card is a long way off freq.
                        > >
                        > > I make a note of the offset which I can then use in other programs if they
                        > > don't have similar tuning functions.
                        > >

                        > > Andy
                        >
                        > OK Andy,
                        >
                        > Thanks for reply but how do you calibrate EasyPAL? They say that you should use an AM signal, put the ticks in a yellow line under 500 HZ and then there should be another two tones which have to line up to 500 and 600HZ yellow lines. This is in setup, waterfall options, wwv calibration.
                        >
                        > 73 de Demetre SV1UY

                      • SV1UY
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 12 3:41 PM
                          --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, Andy Eskelson <andyyahoo@...> wrote:

                          > So far I have not found a way to do this on easypal
                          >
                          > WWV is totally useless - I've never received it clearly enough to hear
                          > tones of any sort, and that's during nearly 40 years of
                          > listening/operating :-) The ticks are OK but that's about all.
                          >
                          > Perhaps there is a setup file somewhere, where the soundcard osc
                          > frequency offset can be entered. If there is, I've never found it.
                          >

                          > Andy

                          Thanks Andy.

                          I wonder, if one has a good quality soundcard such as a Creative SB Live 24 with 60ppm drift, is it necessary to calibrate it for EasyPAL? I know that for analogue SSTV you have too otherwise you get slanted pics, but for EasyPAL is it necessary?

                          Does anyone know?

                          73 de Demetre SV1UY
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 12 6:57 PM
                            Some soundcards can be quite a bit off, but providing that it is
                            stable it should not matter too much. There are no trimmers on the
                            soundcard xtal's :-)

                            However as dsstv is more a one to one mode and you tune with the
                            waterfall I don't think it matters too much if the soundcard is a bit
                            off, the AFC seems to take care of most things. It looks like the cal
                            function is just checking the waterfall. Providing the system gets a
                            lock, then it will decode the data which is all that is really
                            necessary. As you say, there is no slant to worry about.

                            The only thing that I would think that MIGHT be an issue especially for
                            listeners, would be if the Tx and Rx frequencies were wildly different.

                            I've not come across this problem for a long time, but I suppose that it
                            could still be possible.

                            as far as I can tell the WWV cal, is to cal the waterfall rather than
                            anything else. which I assume just ensures that you can tune the rig
                            close enough for the afc to get a lock.

                            It would be interesting to know if this is the case or not.

                            Andy

                            On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 22:41:06 -0000
                            "SV1UY" <sv1uy@...> wrote:

                            > --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, Andy Eskelson <andyyahoo@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > So far I have not found a way to do this on easypal
                            > >
                            > > WWV is totally useless - I've never received it clearly enough to hear
                            > > tones of any sort, and that's during nearly 40 years of
                            > > listening/operating :-) The ticks are OK but that's about all.
                            > >
                            > > Perhaps there is a setup file somewhere, where the soundcard osc
                            > > frequency offset can be entered. If there is, I've never found it.
                            > >

                            > > Andy
                            >
                            > Thanks Andy.
                            >
                            > I wonder, if one has a good quality soundcard such as a Creative SB Live 24 with 60ppm drift, is it necessary to calibrate it for EasyPAL? I know that for analogue SSTV you have too otherwise you get slanted pics, but for EasyPAL is it necessary?
                            >
                            > Does anyone know?
                            >
                            > 73 de Demetre SV1UY

                          • eriksradio
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 12 8:22 PM
                              Hi,

                              The EasyPal sound card calibration is for the waterfall only.
                              If the mouse is right clicked in the waterfall, a box will appear with an audio frequency read out when the vertical arrows are superimposed over the particular part in the waterfall. This will only be correct if the waterfall has been, or needs to be calibrated.

                              Tuning in EasyPal is very tolerant in that the sync lines may be well outside the green marks. However if the mistuning is such that some of the carriers are missing, then more errors will take place.

                              If you are interested in RX only, then don't bother to calibrate.

                              However, with a large sound card error and if using FM, then the lines may not quite line up with the green marks. In this case calibration may be useful cosmetically.

                              In 99% of setups the default setting is perfectly OK.

                              Erik VK4AES

                              --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, Andy Eskelson <andyyahoo@...> wrote:

                              > Some soundcards can be quite a bit off, but providing that it is
                              > stable it should not matter too much. There are no trimmers on the
                              > soundcard xtal's :-)
                              >

                              > However as dsstv is more a one to one mode and you tune with the
                              > waterfall I don't think it matters too much if the soundcard is a bit
                              > off, the AFC seems to take care of most things. It looks like the cal
                              > function is just checking the waterfall. Providing the system gets a
                              > lock, then it will decode the data which is all that is really
                              > necessary. As you say, there is no slant to worry about.
                              >
                              > The only thing that I would think that MIGHT be an issue especially for
                              > listeners, would be if the Tx and Rx frequencies were wildly different.
                              >
                              > I've not come across this problem for a long time, but I suppose that it
                              > could still be possible.
                              >
                              > as far as I can tell the WWV cal, is to cal the waterfall rather than
                              > anything else. which I assume just ensures that you can tune the rig
                              > close enough for the afc to get a lock.
                              >
                              > It would be interesting to know if this is the case or not.
                              >

                              > Andy
                              >

                              > On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 22:41:06 -0000
                              > "SV1UY" <sv1uy@...> wrote:
                              >

                              > > --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, Andy Eskelson <andyyahoo@> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > So far I have not found a way to do this on easypal
                              > > >
                              > > > WWV is totally useless - I've never received it clearly enough to hear
                              > > > tones of any sort, and that's during nearly 40 years of
                              > > > listening/operating :-) The ticks are OK but that's about all.
                              > > >
                              > > > Perhaps there is a setup file somewhere, where the soundcard osc
                              > > > frequency offset can be entered. If there is, I've never found it.
                              > > >

                              > > > Andy
                              > >
                              > > Thanks Andy.
                              > >
                              > > I wonder, if one has a good quality soundcard such as a Creative SB Live 24 with 60ppm drift, is it necessary to calibrate it for EasyPAL? I know that for analogue SSTV you have too otherwise you get slanted pics, but for EasyPAL is it necessary?
                              > >
                              > > Does anyone know?
                              > >
                              > > 73 de Demetre SV1UY

                            • eriksradio
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 12 8:33 PM
                                Another simple test to see if the waterfall calibration is accurate.

                                1. Right click in the waterfall.
                                2. Line up the arrows exactly with the 500, 1000, 2000 or 2500 Hz marks.
                                3. The readout should be the same. Calibrate if not.

                                The mouse can only be moved in one pixel jumps. One pixel movement is about 11.3 Hz, so the accuracy is about + - 10Hz.

                                Erik VK4AES

                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 12 9:00 PM
                                  On 2011/08/12 18:57, Andy Eskelson wrote:
                                  > Some soundcards can be quite a bit off, but providing that it is
                                  > stable it should not matter too much. There are no trimmers on the
                                  > soundcard xtal's :-)

                                  If your sound card seems just a wee bit far off calibration, say more
                                  than 100ppm, and you are not using 48 ksps, 24ksps, 16ksps, 12 kps, or
                                  8 ksps consider doing so. You might find the correction is much less.
                                  And the quality of images may be far better.

                                  Conversions from 48ksps based sampling to 44.1ksps based sampling is often
                                  or even usually quite dreadful.

                                  {^_^} Joanne, W6MKU
                                • SV1UY
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Aug 13 12:43 AM
                                    Hi Erik and all,

                                    Thanks for useful information. I will look into these instructions carefully.

                                    73 and keep up the good work,
                                    de Demetre SV1UY