Re: EasyPAL Freqs

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 14, 2011
      The SSTV Net List located at www.hffax.de/html/net.htm lists 7.228 for Digital SSTV use. They have a net at 17:00UTC. This is in the General privileges list.

      Mark

      --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, "W6IDS" <w6ids@...> wrote:

      > He was asking about General Class operation, not Advanced.
      > That's the ONLY Digi-SSTv on 80 meters - in the Advanced Class area,
      > in the U.S.
      >
      > Howard W6IDS
      > Richmond, IN EM79NV

    • W6IDS
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 14, 2011
        Hi Mark,

        It appears that the list was last touched in 2005.  7228 did not have
        regular Digi or Analog SSTV activity then.  Years ago, yes it did.
        In fact there were TWO 40 meter frequencies, something like
        7230 and 7228 or thereabouts.  I used to bounce back 'n forth
        between them on analog SSTV some years back..

        Take a listen when you have a chance.  Digi/Analog SSTV silence
        from 7175 - 7300.  Now, prior to the recent FCC frequency allocation
        changes, 7175 WAS in the General portion of the band - not now.
        That frequency is now in the Advance segment and where you'll find
        the 40 meter Digi-SSTV activity today.  Not in the General segment.

        Again, it's by choice.

        Howard W6IDS
        Richmond, IN EM79NV

        > He was asking about General Class operation, not Advanced.
        > That's the ONLY Digi-SSTv on 80 meters - in the Advanced Class area,
        > in the U.S.
        >
        > Howard W6IDS
        > Richmond, IN EM79NV

      • Mark
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 14, 2011
          Howard,

          That's funny because kb4yz also has 7.228 listed as Digital SSTV Net and his list was updated 1/9/2010. Perhaps he just copied the info.

          I'm going to check it out and see if this is true or not. There should be a freq for Generals on 40m.

          Thanks for your reply.

          Mark

          BTW, Here's the list:
          http://www.qsl.net/kb4yz/dignet.txt

        • W6IDS
          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 1, 2011
            I take it that, after all this time, that nothing resulted from your
            question?  Kinda quiet I guess?

            Howard W6IDS
            Richmond, IN EM79NV

              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 2, 2011

                I don’t know about a standard but from my Location (Wyoming) and my  antenna (G5RV at 25 feet) the only place that I have ever been able to copy any stations while I am using Easypal is on  14.233

                Bud – KV7G

                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 2, 2011

                  That IS the "correct" frequency for 20 meters for EasyPAL (Digi-SSTV), Bud.
                  14230.000 has been used historically for Analog SSTV so far as General class
                  licensees are concerned.

                  If Advanced class stations decided to have a watering hole on 20 meters in
                  the Advanced segment somewhere, you'd see the availability for General
                  class licensees immediately disappear.  Just like what happened to the 80
                  meter band when the FCC established its changes to allocations in the not
                  too distant past.  Digi was moved further down past the newly set upper limit
                  for the Advanced segment by the licensees.

                  There is no Digi-SSTV in the General class segment on any band other than
                  20 meters, nor Analog-SSTV except on 40 meters for ANYONE.  This is by
                  simple tacit acceptance by the operators themselves, not by FCC ruling.

                  I think it has become something akin to the simple acceptance of an
                  unspoken "gentlemen's agreement" that has acquired a life of its own by
                  design, sadly.  The General's themselves prevent Digi- or Analog -SSTV
                  from taking place, other than is now accepted as normal course.

                  AHH, but it's SPRING and I've got "Daffy-Dills" sprouting up all over the
                  place.  .

                  Howard W6IDS
                  Richmond, IN EM79NV

                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 2, 2011

                    Here in Europe we have a lot of activity on 80m on 3.733 at night, and sometimes on 3.736
                    from French Stations.
                    On 40m the 7.173 as too many interference from ssb stations and it is almost impossible
                    to copy anything.
                    Other possible frequencies are 21.343 and 28.683 on the prop. openings.

                    CT1QK

                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 2, 2011

                      Hmmm, SSTV or Digi-SSTV cannot be sent in the U.S. on 80 meters inside
                      the General Class band segment.  Not because of government rules but by
                      simple expectation of the General Class operators.  So, you are fortunate.

                      To do so here will bring forth considerable complaining , "close proximity"
                      QSOs and random signalling/testing.  Pretty much the same thing will happen
                      in any of the other bands within the General Class segments.

                      There have been a number of attempts at starting up activity only to have it
                      fail.  The result is the long-time, Historically set,  14.230 SSTV frequency,
                      accepted by all and operated by all.  Then there is the relatively newly created
                      14.233 Digi-SSTV that has managed to survive nicely, below the 14.236
                      Digi-voice frequency.  To change that, to attempt to install similar operations
                      in any of the General Class segments will bring forth the wrath of the masses.
                      <GRIN>  General Class licensees are a hardy bunch.

                      How the three, new-to-the-scene, 20 meter band activities have managed to
                      survive is probably an interesting story in itself, albeit probably contradictory.

                      Howard W6IDS
                      Richmond, IN EM79NV

                      Message 10 of 24 , Apr 2, 2011
                        This came accross Easypal today....

                        3.857 SSTV Group
                        7:00 to 8:00   7 days
                        Ragchew at the end

                        WA2SOH    KC3AF   WS3Z
                        KB1UIF       W1HRM  KC2KRH
                        W4CS W4LES

                        All are welcome.

                        Haven't been there just recieve it this afternoon.

                        I didn't hear anything on 30 meters this afternoon.

                        Send a few but just to much noise.

                        Bob
                        KA0AGC
                        KA0AGC.COM
                        MiltonARC.org

                        Message 11 of 24 , Apr 2, 2011

                          Perry, how did you happen to come by this?

                          Is it a new watering hole - as of when?

                          That's really surprising news for sure.

                          Thanks for passing it along.

                          Howard W6IDS
                          Richmond, IN EM79NV

                          Message 12 of 24 , Apr 2, 2011
                            If you have Digi-Sites set up. It's on the Page 2 from WS3Z

                            Bob
                            KA0AGC

                            Here in Europe we have a lot of activity on 80m on 3.733 at night, and sometimes on 3.736
                            from French Stations.
                            On 40m the 7.173 as too many interference from ssb stations and it is almost impossible
                            to copy anything.
                            Other possible frequencies are 21.343 and 28.683 on the prop. openings.

                            CT1QK

                          • Siegfried Jackstien
                            Message 13 of 24 , Apr 3, 2011
                              In europe 3733 is used .... so no way for us to join :-(
                              Dg9bfc
                              Sigi

                            • W6IDS
                              Message 14 of 24 , Apr 3, 2011

                                I have it, yes, but went to the site and saw nothing with regard to the
                                posting of the "new" 80 meter EasyPAL - unless you were referring
                                to something else?

                                Howard W6IDS
                                Richmond, IN  EM79NV

                                Message 15 of 24 , Apr 3, 2011
                                  Hi All
                                  About a year ago I tried to set up DDSTV on 40 meters at 7.178  and it went well for about 3 weeks and then it was just me sending pictures to myself..But I tried..
                                  You can find DDSSTV on 3.713 BUT ! its a pretty rough group and they will probably not let you in...  There has been an effort to start a group on 3.723 at night and has been going pretty good..They are the same guys that are on 7.173 during the day, will give help and let anyone in.. 14.233 is kind of like 14.230  with no order and people just sending one on top of another... Good Luck..
                                  Anyone who needs help with program or just want to send some pictures on a general freq on 40 meters stop by on 7.173 and give me a call AA0OI and I will be glad to shift freqs to a general  aand work you for a while..  I'm there most days 9am till 5pm (but with summer comming up its Harley time) but will be back full time in the fall..

                                  Garrett / AA0OI

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Apr 3, 2011

                                    Nice offer, Garrett, but the Generals can't to into Advanced territory.

                                    Basic thread is no General Class License watering holes for Digi-SSTV.
                                    There doesn't seem to be much of an impetus to create and hold one.
                                    Now, if you wanted to start a Roundtable group to gossip endlessly,
                                    that's another story <GRIN>.

                                    The only freq available to them is 14.233 as you pointed out.  7173 WAS
                                    in General-land, but stayed put when the FCC made its recent changes.

                                    Honda Aspencade here - can't afford a real scooter <GRIN>

                                    Howard W6IDS
                                    Richmond, IN EM79NV

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Apr 13, 2011
                                      Opps - I was transmitting on 7.173 and didn't even think to check if it was OK for General use - my bad.

                                      Thanks for the heads up.

                                      Would it be OK to run EasyPal on 7.071? If not then 7.176 for the General class?

                                      --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, "stevekb6hoh" <kb6hoh@...> wrote:

                                      > Hi Paul,
                                      >
                                      > Yes I know about 14.233. I should have made that more clear.
                                      > I saw some previous POSTS from a US Station about using 7173khz but that is outside the General Class portion of 40meters.
                                      > So for those Stateside General Class Ops where are you on 40meters??
                                      >
                                      > 73 de Steve KB6HOH
                                      >
                                      > --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Young" <paul@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Hi Steve,
                                      > >
                                      > > 14.230 is only for Analogue
                                      > >
                                      > > 14.233 is the main freq on 20m
                                      > > Some also use 14.236 but this is also used for digital voice
                                      > >
                                      > > Paul G0HWC
                                      > > http://www.g0hwc.com

                                    • segwin
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Apr 14, 2011
                                        I was brain dead when I wrote this (actually I was looking at the Advanced part of the band plan).

                                        Would be nice to find a 40M spot for Generals however.

                                        Terry / K8TJM