Re: Latest EasyPal 27/October/ 2010

  • Al
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 1, 2010
      GM Paul...

      I recently upgraded to AVG 2011 and also installed the latest Easypal 27Oct2010.

      Upon start up of Easypal this morning, AVG 2011 reported that it found "C32.EXE" and asked me to allow or move to the virus vault. This is the first time I have "ever" seen AVG report anything with respect to Easypal.

      I have told AVG 2011 to allow this program... Should I be doing anything additional?

      73,

      Al/W8AII

      --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, "Paul-G0HWC" <paul@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > Latest easypal 27th October 2010
      > Wave File Volume, Twain Acquire, CAT Commands, CW ID.
      >
      > ***Please report any virus false positives***
      >
      > Lastes SSTV & DRM news and links HERE:
      > http://g0hwc.com/sstv_drm_news.html
      >
      > Paul G0HWC
      > http://www.truckcam.tv
      > Live images from my truck

    • Jerry W
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 1, 2010
        --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, "Paul-G0HWC" <paul@...> wrote:

        ***Please report any virus false positives***

        Doing a scan with Windows Live OneCare safety scanner:
        http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm
        for Windows Vista and Windows 7  the scan reports that in my
         C:\ drive, easypal\loop.dll is an unknown threat and can not fix it.

        Reading others who posted on this forum have had this same loop.dll report with other virus scan programs, I know it is not a threat. Reporting the false positive here.

        Jerry - K0HZI

        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 1, 2010
          Submit the program to AVG and ask them why this program keeps getting
          hits on their tests. Paul may need to recompile C32.exe with a different
          compiler or reorganize its functions.

          But I like the idea of getting AVG to analyze the file and tell you if
          it really is malware and let them feel the egg on their face for a
          chronic misfire.

          Lather, rinse, repeat with each AV company until you don't get bugged
          anymore.

          {^_^}

          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 6, 2010
            I've submitted the file to Avira for analysis. The setup file hits a false
            positive today unless Paul is unwittingly including something nasty in one
            of the lower level files he gets from somewhere else.

            {^_^} Joanne, W6MKU
            > Wave File Volume, Twain Acquire, CAT Commands, CW ID.
            >
            > ***Please report any virus false positives***
            >
            > Lastes SSTV & DRM news and links HERE:
            > http://g0hwc.com/sstv_drm_news.html
            >
            > Paul G0HWC
            > http://www.truckcam.tv
            > Live images from my truck
          • Paul Young
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 6, 2010
              Just so you know I don’t write EasyPal !
              I just inform of the updates ETC

              EasyPal Author is Erik VK4AES

              Paul G0HWC

              http://www.truckcam .tv

              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 6, 2010
                OK, Erik it is. You're the vocal one so it's easy to have a senior moment.

                {^_-} Joanne, W6MKU

                > Wave File Volume, Twain Acquire, CAT Commands, CW ID.
                >
                > ***Please report any virus false positives***
                >
                > Lastes SSTV & DRM news and links HERE:
                > http://g0hwc.com/sstv_drm_news.html
                >
                > Paul G0HWC
                > http://www.truckcam.tv
                > Live images from my truck
              • MICHAEL G3VPA
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 8, 2010
                  Just to let you Know I am getting a Trojan report from McAfee again with this Version. Already Reported to Erik.

                  73's

                  Mike G3VPA

                  --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Young" <paul@...> wrote:

                  > Just so you know I don’t write EasyPal !
                  > I just inform of the updates ETC
                  >
                  > EasyPal Author is Erik VK4AES
                  >
                  > Paul G0HWC
                  >

                  > I've submitted the file to Avira for analysis. The setup file hits a false
                  > positive today unless Paul is unwittingly including something nasty in one
                  > of the lower level files he gets from somewhere else.
                  >
                  > {^_^} Joanne, W6MKU

                • OZ9AU
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 8, 2010
                    Hi.
                    Me too from AVG:

                    File name: ..\c32.exe
                    Threat name: Trojan horse Dropper.Agent.ACWU

                    73s
                    Allan

                    Just to let you Know I am getting a Trojan report from McAfee again with this Version. Already Reported to Erik.

                    73's

                    Mike G3VPA

                    --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Young" <paul@...> wrote:

                    > Just so you know I don’t write EasyPal !
                    > I just inform of the updates ETC
                    >
                    > EasyPal Author is Erik VK4AES
                    >
                    > Paul G0HWC
                    >

                    > I've submitted the file to Avira for analysis. The setup file hits a false
                    > positive today unless Paul is unwittingly including something nasty in one
                    > of the lower level files he gets from somewhere else.
                    >
                    > {^_^} Joanne, W6MKU

                  • MICHAEL G3VPA
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 8, 2010
                      I have just checked on another computer which runs AVG and have the same issue reported with C\Easypal\c32.exe when pressing the Tune button in Sept 02 Version, and this rxplains an issue I had in a recent Easypal use in an Exercise.

                      73

                      Mike G3VPA

                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 9, 2010
                        Just so you and Erick (the author) know Avira has officially admitted it is
                        false positive. Now, constantly changing the file probably means this will
                        not end. (Not that I could read the email sent to me. But their website
                        rendition of the verdict was in English so I know what this says, I
                        think....)

                        ===8<---
                        благодарим за ваше письмо в лабораторию анализа вирусов Avira.
                        Номер заказа: INC00628776.

                        Список файлов и результатов приведены ниже:

                        ID файла Имя файла Объем (байты) Результат
                        25942515 EasyPal-27B-OCT-2...up.exe 3.01 MB FALSE POSITIVE
                        25946084 B537CCF7399056FA0B5A...AE 34 KB FALSE POSITIVE
                        25946084 B537CCF7399056FA0B5A...AE 34 KB FALSE POSITIVE

                        Точные результаты по каждому файлу вы найдете в следующем разделе:

                        Имя файла Результат
                        EasyPal-27B-OCT-2...up.exe FALSE POSITIVE

                        Файл 'EasyPal-27B-OCT-2010-setup.exe' отмечен как 'FALSE POSITIVE'. In
                        particular this means that this file is not malicious but a false alarm.
                        Образец распознавания будет удален при одном из последующих обновлений файла
                        определения вирусов (VDF).

                        Имя файла Результат
                        B537CCF7399056FA0B5A...AE FALSE POSITIVE

                        Файл 'B537CCF7399056FA0B5A9D740C8465AE' отмечен как 'FALSE POSITIVE'. In
                        particular this means that this file is not malicious but a false alarm.
                        Образец распознавания будет удален при следующем обновлении файла
                        определения вирусов (VDF).

                        Вы также можете просмотреть результаты анализа по следующему адресу:
                        http://analysis.avira.com/samples/details.php?uniqueid=5zTnTrSqpkDpQtpvMSc5t7xRHVfFTtyX&incidentid=628776

                        Zusätzlich finden Sie eine Übersicht aller Einsendungen hier:
                        http://analysis.avira.com/samples/details.php?uniqueid=5zTnTrSqpkDpQtpvMSc5t7xRHVfFTtyX

                        Примечание: Пожалуйста, обращайтесь со специфичными вопросами по адресу
                        support@...

                        С уважением,
                        Лаборатория анализа вирусов Avira

                        ===8<---

                        {^_^} Joanne, W6MKU

                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 9, 2010
                          If I was an AV author and there was a file with small changes that had
                          already been tagged as a virus I'd be more aggressive tagging the file
                          as spam via signature analysis. You might consider this Erik.

                          {o.o} Joanne, W6MKU
                          I have just checked on another computer which runs AVG and have the same
                          issue reported with C\Easypal\c32.exe when pressing the Tune button in Sept
                          02 Version, and this rxplains an issue I had in a recent Easypal use in an
                          Exercise.

                          73

                          Mike G3VPA

                          --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, "MICHAEL G3VPA" <md.rose@...> wrote:

                          > Just to let you Know I am getting a Trojan report from McAfee again with
                          > this Version. Already Reported to Erik.
                          >

                          > --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Young" <paul@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Just so you know I donâ?Tt write EasyPal !
                          > > I just inform of the updates ETC
                          > >
                          > > EasyPal Author is Erik VK4AES
                          > >
                          > > Paul G0HWC
                          > >

                          > > I've submitted the file to Avira for analysis. The setup file hits a
                          > > false
                          > > positive today unless Paul is unwittingly including something nasty in
                          > > one
                          > > of the lower level files he gets from somewhere else.
                          > >
                          > > {^_^} Joanne, W6MKU

                        • eriksradio
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 10, 2010
                            Hi Joanne,

                            I tested the original "c32.exe" which I did not modify and it now comes up with 16 virus reports. Not bad for a 35K file.

                            A fairly short time ago, this file had a clean bill of health with 43 different scanners reporting nothing.

                            I have a 16bit version of c32.exe which does not bring up any false positives but being 16bit it will not run on 32 bit OP systems.

                            c32.exe was originally chirppix.exe, a 16bit Qbasic program.

                            It was rewritten in 32 bit MS C++ by "Dana" often on this site.
                            If anyone would like to have a go at rewriting the 16bit Qbasic version, then that would be great; please any volunteers.

                            One would need to have a good grip of machine code and be able to convert it to assembler. This Qbasic program was written when the first Intel processors were made. Many of the machine code instructions would have to be changed to suit the newer CPU's or compilers. In other words the programmer must completely understand the machine code and exactly what it is doing. Not an easy job.

                            The final c32.exe worked perfectly but is bothered by false positives.

                            If anyone think they can do better then please volunteer.
                            I can supply the source code of the basic program and also the compiler. Please, any volunteers ?

                            I am off to "zzzzzzz"

                            de Erik VK4AES

                            --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, "jdow" <jdow@...> wrote:

                            > If I was an AV author and there was a file with small changes that had
                            > already been tagged as a virus I'd be more aggressive tagging the file
                            > as spam via signature analysis. You might consider this Erik.
                            >
                            > {o.o} Joanne, W6MKU

                          • eriksradio
                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 10, 2010
                              Sorry, I meant 64bit OP systems.
                              Erik
                            • Siegfried Jackstien
                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 10, 2010

                                Hello erik

                                Okay again the user ist he beta tester … not of your soft but of the av software

                                The problem is not the c32 it is the false alarm by av programs … so I think the av programmers have to do the work

                                Not reprogram c32 … just send that to the av programmers to exclude that from fbe a false positive ….

                                If you find someone that has the time and knowledge to reinvent a running wheel … okay on that …. Otherwise we have just to live with it I think

                                Greetz

                                Sigi

                                Dg9bfc

                                Ps tnx fer such a great software … showed the received pics to some oldtimers in our club ….. they could not believe that these pics came over shortwave

                                Now I have to tell them how to use it …… new users won hi hi

                                "MICHAEL G3VPA" <md.rose@> wrote:

                                > > Just to let you Know I am getting a Trojan report from McAfee again
                                with
                                > > this Version. Already Reported to Erik.
                                > >

                                > > --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com,
                                "Paul Young" <paul@> wrote:

                                > > > Just so you know I donâ?Tt write EasyPal !
                                > > > I just inform of the updates ETC
                                > > >
                                > > > EasyPal Author is Erik VK4AES
                                > > >
                                > > > Paul G0HWC
                                > > >

                                > > > I've submitted the file to Avira for analysis. The setup file
                                hits a
                                > > > false
                                > > > positive today unless Paul is unwittingly including something
                                nasty in
                                > > > one
                                > > > of the lower level files he gets from somewhere else.
                                > > >
                                > > > {^_^} Joanne, W6MKU

                              • eriksradio
                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 12, 2010
                                  Thanks Sigi,

                                  I believe the file has been cleared by several Anti-Vir scanners after sending the file for their analysis.
                                  However, as the file concerned was giving several false positive, I made a small change to reduce the existing reports before I received the all clear.
                                  Unfortunately the cleared file is now slightly different and may attract a new false positives from the same scanners.
                                  I expect these reports will reduce as the scanners get their fingers out with new updates.

                                  These problems will only get worse.
                                  Perhaps one solution is to get a scanner which has less false positives and a high detection rate.

                                  There are a few about.

                                  It is a pity if I have to reinvent the wheel and spend endless hours developing a new system intergrated directly in Delphi. I may do this; but just for fun.

                                  Down with the "professional scanner alarmists" and up with "happy hours" and your wonderful beers.

                                  Erik

                                  > Hello erik
                                  >
                                  > Okay again the user ist he beta tester … not of your soft but of the av
                                  > software
                                  >
                                  > The problem is not the c32 it is the false alarm by av programs … so I think
                                  > the av programmers have to do the work
                                  >
                                  > Not reprogram c32 … just send that to the av programmers to exclude that
                                  > from fbe a false positive ….
                                  >
                                  > If you find someone that has the time and knowledge to reinvent a running
                                  > wheel … okay on that …. Otherwise we have just to live with it I think
                                  >
                                  > Greetz
                                  >
                                  > Sigi
                                  >
                                  > Dg9bfc

                                • Dave Ackrill
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Nov 12, 2010
                                    On 12/11/2010 21:57, eriksradio wrote:

                                    > Down with the "professional scanner alarmists" and up with "happy hours" and your wonderful beers.

                                    Personally, I avoid Norton and ignore those who scaremonger by reporting
                                    the false positives it produces. It isn't only EasyPal that is affected
                                    by both of these problems...

                                    It's a less stressful way of life. :-)

                                    Dave (G0DJA)