Re: [digsstv] Re: easypal

  • Terry
    Message 1 of 28 , Oct 13, 2009
      Yes the link is working fine here in the UK also, it has been fine most of the afternoon.

      Terry.

      Message 2 of 28 , Oct 13, 2009
        You might have proxy or firewall problems. The site works fine.

        {^_^}

        Message 3 of 28 , Oct 13, 2009
          Out of your hands Erik,

          it will sort itself out eventually.

          The nameservers for the site are reporting that the server is down, so
          it's something that has happend at the remote ISP. Once the nameservers
          update again it will prob start working.

          Andy

          Message 4 of 28 , Oct 13, 2009
            No, I can get to the remote nameservers fine. They are reporting
            servfail so will not resolve the site address.

            Other nameservers will have the site address cached as will many peoples
            local caches hence some will find the site OK.

            This sort of thing normally sorts itself out fairly quickly.

            Andy

            Message 5 of 28 , Oct 13, 2009
              I can't really agree with that, but I know what you mean. The CI-V was
              designed for control not grabbing loads of data. So for what I want to do
              it will work just fine.

              Ethernet would be a nice, and nowadays just as cheap as anything else, it
              would also have sensible line lengths unlike that 'orrible' USB stuff.
              Another USB lead has just fallen out of it's socket here... so I'm not
              happy with them, as I had to go pot-holing under the bench to replug it.

              I think I'll have to add a spot of the old silicone sealer to keep the
              socket in place.

              Andy

              Message 6 of 28 , Oct 13, 2009
                Yes, I found that it does work on a one com port <>to one rig basis.
                As most people will prob only have one rig then that would be fine.

                Just not what I needed.

                Controlling more that one rig at a time would require quite a major
                rewrite of the program, so I'm not surprised it has not happened as
                yet.

                Andy

                On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 18:37:04 +0100
                Dave Ackrill <dave.g0dja@...> wrote:

                > Andy Eskelson wrote:
                >
                > > The problem with HRD it that it does not appear to implement the CI-V
                > > protocol on a single port (if it implements it at all), so it gets
                > > totally confused with the normal CI-V setup.
                >
                > Ham Radio Deluxe used to support more than one Icom radio, and the owner
                > and programmer, Simon (HB9DRV), has said that he intends to implement a
                > system that will allow one instance of HRD to control more than one
                > radio, Icom or not, but no promises as to when that will be implemented
                > as yet.
                >
                > There are many Icom users of HRD who are using it to control their
                > Icoms, so it does work. If only on one radio at a time.
                >
                > Dave (G0DJA)
              • Dave Ackrill
                Message 7 of 28 , Oct 13, 2009
                  jdow wrote:
                  > You might have proxy or firewall problems. The site works fine.

                  Yes, I can see the site as well, but I'm not in the market for another
                  interface.

                  I'm sure it's a very good system, but I don't have a need for it at the
                  moment.

                  Dave (G0DJA)
                  Message 8 of 28 , Oct 13, 2009
                    Just seen a report on the newsfeeds,

                    Sweden's entire DNS zone file got zapped. See:

                    http://royal.pingdom.com/2009/10/13/sweden%25E2%2580%2599s-internet-broken-by-dns-mistake/

                    Andy

                    On Tue, 13 Oct 2009
                    22:44:00 +0100 Dave Ackrill <dave.g0dja@...> wrote:

                    > jdow wrote:
                    > > You might have proxy or firewall problems. The site works fine.
                    >
                    > Yes, I can see the site as well, but I'm not in the market for another
                    > interface.
                    >
                    > I'm sure it's a very good system, but I don't have a need for it at the
                    > moment.
                    >
                    > Dave (G0DJA)
                  • Howard Z
                    Message 9 of 28 , Oct 13, 2009
                      Andy,

                      I have been writing rig control software for almost a year. My emphasis is on computer controlled tuners like the excellent Palstar AT AUTO and (the not so excellent) LDG AT200PC, but I have been adding rig control for a small number of radio models. I have not thought about supporting multiple radios at the same time. It sounds do-able.

                      One problem in having multiple devices on the CI-V bus is that if two devices write to the bus at the same time, then data will be garbled or lost. However rig control software primarily polls the radio on some regular basis for information and the radio only writes to the CIV bus in response to the computer asking for information. However, modern ICOM radios will broadcast onto the CI-V their frequency every time the frequency is changed.

                      A similar thing happens with sharing a port with VSPE. If two programs write to the shared VSPE com port at the same time, I strongly suspect that the stream of bytes coming from one program is randomly merged with the stream of bytes coming from the second program. This results is garbled kaos. Just a thought for you about what applications you use with VSPE. So, I think VSPE shared port needs care - best to have just one program write and the others just listen. Or, have some controlled shared writing where simultaneous writing by multiple programs is avoided. BTW, I think the free VSPE is a wonderful and useful application - just pointing out its likely shot-falls.

                    • Erik Jakobsen
                      Message 10 of 28 , Oct 13, 2009
                        Hi Andy

                        All ok. I think it's a nice tool. I know some Danish hams, that use the
                        Remoterig.
                        For instance if they have a Kenwood 480 or an ICOM 706, they pull of the
                        front,
                        and take it with them on vacations. Then they leave the radio itself at
                        home, and
                        then from the places where they stay for a while, they connect to the
                        internet, and
                        control their radio at home. And without using a computer but the
                        Remoterig hardware
                        in both places.
                        Works just excellent.
                        Also nice if you live in a town, and have a summer recidence.

                        Erik

                        Message 11 of 28 , Oct 14, 2009
                          > Yes, I found that it does work on a one com port <>to one rig basis.
                          > As most people will prob only have one rig then that would be fine.
                          >
                          > Just not what I needed.
                          >

                          > Controlling more that one rig at a time would require quite a major
                          > rewrite of the program, so I'm not surprised it has not happened as
                          > yet.
                          >

                          > Andy

                          Not necessarily - it could be done with a tab view. (Although I found
                          that the communications rate would require disabling the views that
                          were not visible.)

                          {^_^} Joanne, W6MKU
                        • Simon HB9DRV
                          Message 12 of 28 , Oct 14, 2009
                            You can control up to 255 radios with HTD and sync them. Just keep opening
                            with the Connect window...

                            Simon HB9DRV

                            From: "jdow" <jdow@...>

                            Message 13 of 28 , Oct 14, 2009
                              The problem with two devices talking at the same time is the classic
                              problem with datacomms...

                              You have three options to solve this. You either use a polling system
                              with a central controller. This is a very old method, and it's easy to
                              work with. You can use a flag to enable a particular device, this is
                              often known as a token, and from that you get token passing / ring
                              systems. Very good in terms of timing and such like, but the controllers
                              need a lot of "intelligence" and so are expensive. The third is to have
                              some form of protocol that detects data collisions and recovers from them.
                              From that you get the CSMA/CD type protocols. Which are used in the common
                              Ethernet systems. There are a few other systems about but they
                              generally work on one of these three methods.

                              CI-V uses CSMA/CD and does repeat the message on error detection.
                              You can also turn off the frequency change transmission. This is
                              normally done by setting transceive to OFF. The transceive feature is
                              really intended to link a pair of rigs to keep them in sync. I've never
                              found a use for this feature myself. However in the case of a tuner then
                              I can see that is one time where it might be of use.

                              Controlling multiple devices is fairly easy, providing as I've mentioned
                              elsewhere that the program is designed to do so in the first place.
                              Otherwise it can get very messy. The TCP sockets system is one example
                              of how multiple connections can be handled.

                              Any comm port splitter either hardware or software is use at you own
                              risk :-) However providing that the device you are talking to does not
                              echo the command back then things should work OK. I know CI-V does not
                              echo the commands, but I don't know about CAT. if it does then that
                              could be a problem, depends entirely on what programs are using the
                              comms.

                              VSPE has a nice little monitor function that enables you to see the
                              data going in each direction. (only one way at a time in the version I
                              have, but that helps a lot. When I want two way monitoring I set up a
                              splitter port and hang a terminal program on it to see one direction and
                              use VSPE to see the other direction.) Very useful for reverse engineering
                              oddball protocols.

                              Andy

                              Message 14 of 28 , Oct 14, 2009
                                On the same CI-V wire? How well does it track 4 radios on one wire that
                                had somebody tune them locally? How well does it track the PTT state?
                                It's easy to control a lot of radios on different wires. On the same
                                wire it gets rugged for timing, particularly for ICOM's CAT commands.

                                {O_O} Joanne, W6MKU
                                Message 15 of 28 , Nov 19, 2009
                                  I don't want to hijack this thread but I too am trying to get Easypal to work with m Ci-V interface.

                                  I have two interfaces and also ran into a problem with dual interfaces but my question is in regard to PTT.

                                  Even with one interface connected how can I get Easypal to send CI-V PTT command ?

                                  The hex string that is included with Easypal doesn't seem to have any effect. Is there additional codes that are necessary to get this to work ?

                                  Lee
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Nov 21, 2009
                                    I assume that you use your CI-V interface OK with other control programs?

                                    If so check the obvious first.

                                    Check that you have selected the CIV option rather than the com port RTS
                                    type switching.

                                    Check com port number, baud rate and so on.

                                    Check that you have not changed the CI-V address on the radio.

                                    That's about all really.

                                    If still no joy, try sending the command string from another
                                    application. I suppose that there is a possibility that it might be
                                    wrong.

                                    There is a utility called VSPE Virtual Serial port Emulator
                                    It has a monitor function that allows you to see what data is being sent
                                    down the com port. So it's useful for debugging.

                                    http://www.eterlogic.com/Products.VSPE.html

                                    Andy