Re: [digsstv] getting to receive sstv using Eay pal

    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2009
      When you select tune, the program should send a short sequence of tones.
      You will hear these through the computer soundcard speakers. Tune is
      only for setting up the transmitter, so as you are receiving only it's
      not that important, but it will help prove that the program is talking
      to the soundsystem.

      Find a strong signal or carrier, select ssb and tune to create a tone.
      You should see a line appear on the waterfall associated with that tone.
      As you tune the Rx you will be able to shift the line side to side. If
      you cannot get this to happen, then the AF from the rig is not getting
      into the sound card for some reason. Could be cnnections or settings.
      Until you can get to this point it's pointless trying to receive DSSTV

      Once you get things to to point of seeing lines and such like on the
      waterfall, find a DSSTV signal - forget the 40m freq that's pretty much
      useless due to the commercial crud.. try 3.736 in the evenings, as there
      are normally a few German and French stations to be heard there.

      Do remember that DSSTV is vastly inferior to analog if you want to
      receive an image quickly. With DSSTV you have to receive ALL the data
      perfectly before the image appears. sometimes I've left the system
      monitoring all evening and not received a thing, othertimes I got a
      couple of images. It's better if you are in QSO with someone as you can
      request a resend of the bad blocks, but when listening on the side you
      have to hope that any missing blocks will be resent to someone else, or
      that the image will be resent to someone else so that you can pick up the
      missing blocks.

      speaking of analog SSTV. get something like MMSSTV or MMTTY up and
      running. If that works then you are pretty much set up OK, I use exactly
      the same connections for analog / RTTY as I do for Digital and it's a bit
      easier to fault find.

      Andy

      On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 20:35:12 -0000 "David Tyler"
      <tyler@...> wrote:

      > Have tried over period to set up for Digital sstv.
      > Believe set up is O.K. but no sign of any signals/noise coming in.
      > Using Icom 1500PCR, Diamond 707 wideband antennae and also Dressler AR 60, both active antennaes.
      > Situation is East Essex.
      > One problem is when clicking Tune, nothing appears.
      > Have not been able to calibrate waterfall, but as I am receiving only, is it important.
      > Sound card is set up correctly.
      > Have receved help before, but gave up, now trying again.
      > Advice please,
      > David Tyler

    • David Tyler
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 2, 2009
        --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, Andy Eskelson <andyyahoo@...> wrote:

        > When you select tune, the program should send a short sequence of tones.
        > You will hear these through the computer soundcard speakers. Tune is
        > only for setting up the transmitter, so as you are receiving only it's
        > not that important, but it will help prove that the program is talking
        > to the soundsystem.
        >
        > Find a strong signal or carrier, select ssb and tune to create a tone.
        > You should see a line appear on the waterfall associated with that tone.
        > As you tune the Rx you will be able to shift the line side to side. If
        > you cannot get this to happen, then the AF from the rig is not getting
        > into the sound card for some reason. Could be cnnections or settings.
        > Until you can get to this point it's pointless trying to receive DSSTV
        >

        > Once you get things to to point of seeing lines and such like on the
        > waterfall, find a DSSTV signal - forget the 40m freq that's pretty much
        > useless due to the commercial crud.. try 3.736 in the evenings, as there
        > are normally a few German and French stations to be heard there.
        >
        > Do remember that DSSTV is vastly inferior to analog if you want to
        > receive an image quickly. With DSSTV you have to receive ALL the data
        > perfectly before the image appears. sometimes I've left the system
        > monitoring all evening and not received a thing, othertimes I got a
        > couple of images. It's better if you are in QSO with someone as you can
        > request a resend of the bad blocks, but when listening on the side you
        > have to hope that any missing blocks will be resent to someone else, or
        > that the image will be resent to someone else so that you can pick up the
        > missing blocks.
        >
        > speaking of analog SSTV. get something like MMSSTV or MMTTY up and
        > running. If that works then you are pretty much set up OK, I use exactly
        > the same connections for analog / RTTY as I do for Digital and it's a bit
        > easier to fault find.
        >

        > Andy
        >

        > On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 20:35:12 -0000 "David Tyler"
        > <tyler@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Have tried over period to set up for Digital sstv.
        > > Believe set up is O.K. but no sign of any signals/noise coming in.
        > > Using Icom 1500PCR, Diamond 707 wideband antennae and also Dressler AR 60, both active antennaes.
        > > Situation is East Essex.
        > > One problem is when clicking Tune, nothing appears.
        > > Have not been able to calibrate waterfall, but as I am receiving only, is it important.
        > > Sound card is set up correctly.
        > > Have receved help before, but gave up, now trying again.
        > > Advice please,
        > > David Tyler
        > >Andy, Many thanks for advice, great help to me.
        Will revert back to trying to receive analogue sstv via mmsstv,
        Regards,[ might be wrong, but believe I have seen your name in David Taylors weather sat groups]
        David Tyler

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 2, 2009
          > > >Andy, Many thanks for advice, great help to me.
          > Will revert back to trying to receive analogue sstv via mmsstv,
          > Regards,[ might be wrong, but believe I have seen your name in David Taylors weather sat groups]
          > David Tyler

          Any mode that uses the soundcard as an input will do, MMSSTV , MMTTY,
          WxSat ATP system will also do (As you mentioned Dave Talyor) to name
          a few. Most common problems are levels, normally too high if using a mic
          input or two low for line in....

          Some rigs have a variable setting on their fixed level output your rig
          may be one such. My ICOMS all have some form of control, either via a
          hardware switch or a software setting, switching between a few tens or
          mV or a couple of hundred mV worth checking out if your rig has the same.

          Another big problem is earth loops. can be a devil to cure, if you
          don't have some form of isolation system in use, but I must say that some
          setups don't seem to suffer from it.

          Yes you did see my name on Dave's site and I lurk in the GEO, Rig, and
          WxToImg groups.

          Andy
        • David Tyler
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 3, 2009

            > > Will revert back to trying to receive analogue sstv via mmsstv,
            > > Regards,[ might be wrong, but believe I have seen your name in David Taylors weather sat groups]
            > > David Tyler
            > > >

            > Any mode that uses the soundcard as an input will do, MMSSTV , MMTTY,
            > WxSat ATP system will also do (As you mentioned Dave Talyor) to name
            > a few. Most common problems are levels, normally too high if using a mic
            > input or two low for line in....
            >
            > Some rigs have a variable setting on their fixed level output your rig
            > may be one such. My ICOMS all have some form of control, either via a
            > hardware switch or a software setting, switching between a few tens or
            > mV or a couple of hundred mV worth checking out if your rig has the same.
            >
            > Another big problem is earth loops. can be a devil to cure, if you
            > don't have some form of isolation system in use, but I must say that some
            > setups don't seem to suffer from it.
            >
            > Yes you did see my name on Dave's site and I lurk in the GEO, Rig, and
            > WxToImg groups.
            >
            > Andy
            >Thanks again Andy,
            Still struggling tyo get signs of signals coming in. Soundcard seems set up O.K. A.M. annd FM being received fine.
            Believe it could be that there is very little activity on SSTV digital in this artea of East Anglia.
            Thought I hag got it right about your other interesys.
            I receive MSG/AVHRR/Metop A , also running Hotbird 6 for TV plus 2 other sats from 2 dishes, one is 80cm and other 1mtre with excellent results.
            Are you getting much success with TTTY ?? Have been successfull with PSK 31, regret I do not have licence to transmit.

            Regards,
            David.
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 3, 2009
              David,

              There is hardly ANY UK activity on DSSTV My QTH postcode is Barking,
              Essex, (tech. we are a London Borough) So radio wise we are fairly
              close. Unless I have not found the correct freq I very rarely hear any
              UK stations. However that's a lot to do with prorogation and antennas.
              Have a listen around 3.736 from about 8pm local and you may hear a few
              stations. F1DUC, OH3TV, DH1PAN & F8BMI are 4 stations that I've come
              across.

              On 20m, 14.230 for analog and sometimes DSSTV a few Khz above
              Analog is active now 15:40 local but only aone or two stations really
              strong enough to copy here, no DSSTV. Someone is either getting desprate
              or testing, sending some 8 sec B/W SSTV something I have not heard for
              many years, whoever it is might get better luck if they put a
              callsign in the image :-)

              Now someone is sending JT 65 on the freq ...

              I've not done any TTY type work for quite a while, I used to be fairly
              active on 144Mhz many years ago, but that activity has dried up. On HF I
              sometimes give away a few points in a contest, but that's mainly to see
              if I can still get out... Today's contest working is far too
              competitive for my liking, normal Rtty is my preferred mode, but I have
              dabbled with PSK and such like.

              One thing you need to check is the frequency setting of the sound card.
              Some systems need a tweak, some don't. It's not too important for rx
              only, but it does mean that you might be a little off for things like
              JT 65. I use the MMSSTV alignment, and use 60Khz MSF as a reference.
              that gives me the offset to apply quite easily.

              I like to receive the WxSat ATP, but I have no interest in the
              Eumetelcast type reception. I can receive a couple of dozen TV sats if I
              swing the dish, but as far as I am concerned it's no difference
              receiving the WxData via hotbird that it is receiving any other TV sat.

              I would have a go at direct reception AVHRR but I am far too shielded to
              get good coverage with a steerable dish.

              Geting back to SSTV have you managed to Rx anything with your setup? You
              say that you have been successful with PSK, so that setup should be a
              good starting point.

              Someone is sending DSSTV on 14.230 now, 16:18 lodcal, but it is totally
              messed up, with no carriers or whatever in the signal. Might be worth
              checking about this time on 20m for other signals.

              Andy

              > > Andy
              > >Thanks again Andy,
              > Still struggling tyo get signs of signals coming in. Soundcard seems set up O.K. A.M. annd FM being received fine.
              > Believe it could be that there is very little activity on SSTV digital in this artea of East Anglia.
              > Thought I hag got it right about your other interesys.
              > I receive MSG/AVHRR/Metop A , also running Hotbird 6 for TV plus 2 other sats from 2 dishes, one is 80cm and other 1mtre with excellent results.
              > Are you getting much success with TTTY ?? Have been successfull with PSK 31, regret I do not have licence to transmit.
              >
              > Regards,
              > David.

            • russell bates
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 3, 2009

                Also 3.733 most evenings for UK stations.

                Russ

                2E0SFC

> [...]

                Someone is sending DSSTV on 14.230 now, 16:18 lodcal, but it is totally
                messed up, with no carriers or whatever in the signal. Might be worth
                checking about this time on 20m for other signals.

                Andy

                > > Andy
                > >Thanks again Andy,
                > Still struggling tyo get signs of signals coming in. Soundcard seems set
                up O.K. A.M. annd FM being received fine.
                > Believe it could be that there is very little activity on SSTV digital in
                this artea of East Anglia.
                > Thought I hag got it right about your other interesys.
                > I receive MSG/AVHRR/Metop A , also running Hotbird 6 for TV plus 2 other
                sats from 2 dishes, one is 80cm and other 1mtre with excellent results.
                > Are you getting much success with TTTY ?? Have been successfull with PSK
                31, regret I do not have licence to transmit.

              • david tyler
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 3, 2009
                  Andy,

                  Will listen around 8.0pm for the stations you list.
                  Have not received any digital images since starting out again and like you I believe there is little activity in this area. I am at Great Bentley, between Colchester and Clacton.
                  Just thought it would be a change to watching sat images appear evry 15 mins on Msg data manager.
                  I dont run weather sats 24/7. only activate them whem I get about in morning and late aftewrnoon.
                  Two other enthusiasts in this area I am in contact with is Terry O"hanlon Smith from West Merrsea and Brian Davis from Dovercourt, both serious watchers.

                • david tyler
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 3, 2009
                     Russ,

                    Thanks for info, I am down in East Essex and have not received anything. Have been on the freq. you mention and will try again before I give up.
                    Could be that my 2 active antennaes are not able to pull in the signals, have no room for long wire preferred.
                    Regards,
                    David.
                    Sent: Monday, August 03, 2009 4:31 PM

> [...]

                    good starting point.

                    Someone is sending DSSTV on 14.230 now, 16:18 lodcal, but it is totally
                    messed up, with no carriers or whatever in the signal. Might be worth
                    checking about this time on 20m for other signals.

                    Andy

                    > > Andy
                    > >Thanks again Andy,
                    > Still struggling tyo get signs of signals coming in. Soundcard seems set up O.K. A.M. annd FM being received fine.
                    > Believe it could be that there is very little activity on SSTV digital in this artea of East Anglia.
                    > Thought I hag got it right about your other interesys.
                    > I receive MSG/AVHRR/Metop A , also running Hotbird 6 for TV plus 2 other sats from 2 dishes, one is 80cm and other 1mtre with excellent results.
                    > Are you getting much success with TTTY ?? Have been successfull with PSK 31, regret I do not have licence to transmit.

                  • Gary D Edwards
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 3, 2009
                      Been lots of activity not around mid day in summer fron about 17-30
                      In the uk3.733 MHz is the place to listen have received about 10 perfect
                      pictures over the last couple of hrs.
                      strong signals on now while im typing.
                      73 Gary GW2ABJ

                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 3, 2009
                        Strong signals from F8BMI now...at 2147 local.

                        I've only got room for a vert. so I tend to get the more FDx rather than
                        the locals.

                        It's David that needs the signals, hope he is listening out.,

                        Andy