FTP problems "any Experts?"

  • Paul Young
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 25, 2009
      Hi all,

      Yesterday I noticed a problem with EasyPal uploading files to my site.
      First I noticed I was getting timeout of the FTP. When I checked my
      site I noticed the last 3 images were blank so I highlighted 12 images and tried to send them all to refresh the images. After this all images were blank and on checking the folder on the site that holds all the images
      http://www.g0hwc.com/digital
      I found all the files were 0 bites.
      If I put image1 on my site with Dreamweaver it displays fine but
      as soon as I rx another image EasyPal tries to FTP and moves my
      image1 to image2 and the new image1 is 0 bites again.

      What I have done so far.

      Re installed EasyPal on a 2nd PC
      Contacted AOL to check they are not blocking any ports
      Contacted my web supplier to check for problems
      Had many messages to and from Eric "EasyPal"
      re booted all PC's and router

      The strange thing is I also run DM780 for Analogue SSTV and this
      is uploading new images fine.

      I am now at the point where I am running out of things to try !!

      Any pointers welcome
      Paul G0HWC
      http://www.g0hwc.com
    • austin.ve3ncq
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 25, 2009
        I've noticed that with FTP turned on, I'm now getting a message box saying something about the upload went wrong. I didn't think to write it down (but I'll try to replicate it).

        What I would suggest for FTP problems is trying a packet sniffer. There are several good free ones, but Microsoft secretly removed support for raw sockets with Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2, and neither Vista nor Windows 7 has raw sockets, so these programs won't work. They work in Windows 2000 and Windows XP Home, and of course most Linux distros include them.

        With a packet sniffer, you can see the commands EasyPal is sending to the FTP server, and its responses. There may be an error code in there that's helpful. In my case, EasyPal logs in just fine, and is able to send the "checknew.jpg" file, and any text file, but never received images. The FTP packets hint that EasyPal is using FTP commands that the server does not support. There may be a permissions problem with the FTP folder. I have to dig into this further.

        If a packet sniffer won't work, you can sometimes sidestep the problem if you have a router (not a switch). Just put another computer on your network, and it should capture all the network packets. Any old computer running Linux will do this for free. It really helps to know what is being sent, what isn't, and why.
      • Simon (HB9DRV)
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 25, 2009
          Simon Here,

          I'm helping Paul - seems like his FTP provider has changed to a duff FTP
          server which doesn't allow passive mode, Paul needs passive mode.

          Simon Brown, HB9DRV
          www.ham-radio-deluxe.com

            > I've noticed that with FTP turned on, I'm now getting a message box saying
            > something about the upload went wrong. I didn't think to write it down
            > (but I'll try to replicate it).
            >
            > What I would suggest for FTP problems is trying a packet sniffer. There
            > are several good free ones, but Microsoft secretly removed support for raw
            > sockets with Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2, and neither Vista nor Windows
            > 7 has raw sockets, so these programs won't work. They work in Windows 2000
            > and Windows XP Home, and of course most Linux distros include them.
            >
            > With a packet sniffer, you can see the commands EasyPal is sending to the
            > FTP server, and its responses. There may be an error code in there that's
            > helpful. In my case, EasyPal logs in just fine, and is able to send the
            > "checknew.jpg" file, and any text file, but never received images. The FTP
            > packets hint that EasyPal is using FTP commands that the server does not
            > support. There may be a permissions problem with the FTP folder. I have to
            > dig into this further.
            >
            > If a packet sniffer won't work, you can sometimes sidestep the problem if
            > you have a router (not a switch). Just put another computer on your
            > network, and it should capture all the network packets. Any old computer
            > running Linux will do this for free. It really helps to know what is being
            > sent, what isn't, and why.

            This could be the results of a NAT (Network Address Translation) firewall
            in the picture, as with the routers commonly supplied by ISPs. If there
            is a way to change the FTP to passive mode that may let you punch through.
            If your machine's IP address is in the ranges of 10.0.0.0-10.255.255.255,
            172.16.0.0-172.31.255.255.255, 192.168.0.0-192.168.255.255, or even the
            zero configuration range of 169.254.0.0 to 169.254.255.255 then you are
            behind such a firewall. If it does not have special coverage for FTP then
            passive mode is a must.

            {^_^} Joanne, W6MKU
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 25, 2009
              This is a bit of an overkill solution, but if you need a packet sniffer
              then etherreal / wireshark (they are the same program) is available.
              Wireshark is the later version, it is a network analyser and it shows all
              the activity on the port. You can see the commands as they go and the
              protocols, but the top level view is easy enough to use for simple
              debugging.

              the program is available for both windows and linux.

              Andy

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 25, 2009
                A version of tcpdump for Windows exists, as well. It's a little simpler
                to use. But if it's a messed up FTP that won't do passive on the far
                end there's not a whole lot that can be done without some fancy cheating.
                If it can be solved, Simon will probably succeed.

                {^_^} Joanne W6MKU
                > This is a bit of an overkill solution, but if you need a packet sniffer
                > then etherreal / wireshark (they are the same program) is available.
                > Wireshark is the later version, it is a network analyser and it shows all
                > the activity on the port. You can see the commands as they go and the
                > protocols, but the top level view is easy enough to use for simple
                > debugging.
                >
                > the program is available for both windows and linux.
                >

                > Andy
                >

                > On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 17:20:33 -0000
                > "austin.ve3ncq" <ham@...> wrote:
                >
                >> I've noticed that with FTP turned on, I'm now getting a message box
                >> saying something about the upload went wrong. I didn't think to write it
                >> down (but I'll try to replicate it).
                >>
                >> What I would suggest for FTP problems is trying a packet sniffer. There
                >> are several good free ones, but Microsoft secretly removed support for
                >> raw sockets with Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2, and neither Vista nor
                >> Windows 7 has raw sockets, so these programs won't work. They work in
                >> Windows 2000 and Windows XP Home, and of course most Linux distros
                >> include them.
                >>
                >> With a packet sniffer, you can see the commands EasyPal is sending to the
                >> FTP server, and its responses. There may be an error code in there that's
                >> helpful. In my case, EasyPal logs in just fine, and is able to send the
                >> "checknew.jpg" file, and any text file, but never received images. The
                >> FTP packets hint that EasyPal is using FTP commands that the server does
                >> not support. There may be a permissions problem with the FTP folder. I
                >> have to dig into this further.
                >>
                >> If a packet sniffer won't work, you can sometimes sidestep the problem if
                >> you have a router (not a switch). Just put another computer on your
                >> network, and it should capture all the network packets. Any old computer
                >> running Linux will do this for free. It really helps to know what is
                >> being sent, what isn't, and why.

              • Simon (HB9DRV)
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 26, 2009
                  Joanne,

                  Amazing FTP knowledge from you!

                  The problem is that the FTP server on the other side has been changed by the
                  ISP and unlike the old server doesn't support Passive or PASV commands :(

                  Simon Brown, HB9DRV
                  www.ham-radio-deluxe.com