ISS running SSTV this week 145.800

  • ka1rrw
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2009
      My First 2-way SSTV with ISS.
      From Miles Mann , WF1F

      April 1, 2009, International Space Station:

      This is a crew change week for ISS. A new Soyuze rocket arrived with 2 new crewmember and 1 flight Participant, Charles Simonyi.
      Charles will only visit for about 10 days and then return with the old ISS crew via the old Soyuze rocket.

      During Charles mission is running various experiments and when he has free time he switch's on the Amateur Radio Station. The Station supports both voice communications and a simple JPG image transmitter called SSTV (similar to a cell phone camera).

      This afternoon during I heard the familiar sounds of a SSTV image being transmitted as the International Space Station passed in range of my home in Boston.

      Slow Scan TV in active part time on ISS via the Kenwood VCH1 commander. Flight participant Charles Simonyi has been intermittently talking and running SSTV image from ISS this week.

      Today I had my first two-way SSTV link with ISS and Charles. At 17:50 UTC Charles was using 145.800/144.490 for voice and SSTV. I made a comment, I liked the images he sent, and he began sending more images. Charles and I began talking and I told him I would send him an image and just sit back and watch.
      In honor of the new commander Gennady Paldaka, I sent Charles one of my favorite images that I had received from Gennady in December 1998.

      Wow does time fly. In 1998 I went to Moscow to train a half dozen Mir cosmonauts how to install and use the Marex SSTV system for Space Station Mir. Nine years later Gennady is back in space, let's hope we can get more SSTV in the future.

      The next day I had a follow-up conversation with Charles and he said he was sending an important image regarding the crew change over. With the traditional Change-of-Command ceremony on April 2, 2009, Commander Mike Fincke officially handed over control of the International Space Station to Expedition 19 Commander Gennady Padalka.

      Here is the official NASA image of the Change-of-Command

      Here is the version set via Amateur Radio SSTV:

      MarexMg is a non profit organization that builds educational amateur radio projects for the Manned Space programs. Marex has designed and built 4 projects that have been used in space, including SpaceCam1 on the International Space Station. If you need more information on how to listen and decode these images with a simple radio station, please check out our web page, enjoy and learn.

      www.marexmg.org

      Miles