Easypal sound card level and system requirements

  • billdz.geo
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2009
      Hi, two questions:

      1) Since getting Easypal to run properly a few days ago, people have told me that sound card level should be adjusted so that the green RX bar in the upper left hand corner is less than full scale. Is this really necessary? To keep the bar at less than full scale, I have to reduce line input on my computer to about 5%, and this seems to degrade receive performance, particularly on other programs such as DM-780. I am decoding pictures fairly well with Easypal when the bar is at full scale and with line in level set at 50%. Maybe I should leave well enough alone?

      2) I am thinking about trying Easypal at our club station, but the computer there is rather old. It has Windows XP Pro. Processor speed is 1.67 ghz and there is 448 MB of RAM. Is this enough?

      Thanks for info and 73,
      Bill NZ5N
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2009
        Should run bill,, but decoding picture maybe very slow.. everybodys receive volume will be different, because of the sound card,,  Mine runs best at 1/2 volume on the slider,, others at full.. try them and which ever give you  the best SNR is the winner..  try 7.173 all day long someones here..

        Garrett / AA0OI

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2009
          Hi Bill,

          I set the sound card input for the best SNR reading, and notice that the RX bar is often aggressive. The same settings that work for all my other digital programs will also work with EasyPal, and nothing needs to be changed.

          As for the club station, I hope 1.67 GHz isn't "old" now or my whole network is obsolete! I even have EasyPal running on a Pentium 500 with 256 MB of RAM. Same machine also hosts HTTP, SHTTP, SMTP, POP, DNS and Echolink. EasyPal takes most of the processor power, and I have to boost its priority. Granted, the OS is Windows 2000, so I imagine XP wouldn't handle so much happening at once on a legacy machine.

          I see no reason why the club machine wouldn't work. If it doesn't, make sure there aren't too many applications running in the background. The biggest problem could be sound card accuracy. If the clock is out, it won't receive properly, if at all. Use the free MixW utility for checking the sound card timing. Swapping the card with a known good one might get things working.

          I had some RF in the shack once that made my laptop sound card timer go out to lunch. A cheap USB sound adapter solved this.

          Hope this helps you get going.

          73, Austin - VE3NCQ